spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

summerphotos

@optonline.net

Computer Tower - Floor or Desk?

I'm just curious where people keep there (desktop) computer towers. Do you keep the CPU towers on the floor, top of the desk, inside a built in unit in the computer desk or someplace else?

Also, what are the pros and cons of keeping it on the floor vs. the top of the desk?

Thank you!

anon11117

join:2011-01-03
Tempe, AZ
its preference....cord lengths you use, etc.
--
im an anon,

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4
reply to summerphotos
Floor.

On desk is too loud, and takes up deskspace.

In a 'cubby' restricts airflow.

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:19
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to summerphotos
The floor is good, but if you have thick carpeting it is a good idea to elevate it with something so the carpet will not restrict any vents that may be on the bottom of the unit. A board would be sufficient.
--
I Live In My Own World, But It's OK.....They Know Me There.

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to summerphotos
All of my PCs sit on the floor. Better cooling taking advantage of the layer of cool air that is near the floor, and leaves more desk space for large display, tablet, etc.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to summerphotos
I think it depends on what your priorities are, mine is less dust, animal fur etc in the PC and instant availability of the USB connections so I keep it on my desk.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
reply to summerphotos
If you keep it on the floor, it will suck in more dust.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to summerphotos
I have one up on a book case, the others about 3 inches off the floor.
I think the closer to the floor they are, the more dust/dirt the fans may suck into the unit.
My kids PCs are closest to the floor and they have pet hair as well as dust and dirt inside of them. The one on the bookshelf is mostly dust.
--
To All Real Dads. For All Real Moms Every Real
Service.

TD Nickell
Premium
join:2010-07-27
Federal Way, WA
reply to summerphotos
I have a computer desk with a cubby hole and door.At one time i would put it there and keep the door open,but it still collected to much dust and bad airflow.For years now i put it on top of the desk and clean inside every two month to keep down the noise.Its a dirty computer that cause the noise,at least with mine anyway.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 recommendation

reply to summerphotos
I prefer it on the desk.
I like being able to access the Blu-ray drives at arms length, being able to access my built in media card reader and being able to quickly glace at the activity lights on my tower. I also like being able to hear what's going on inside the tower. (IE: hard drive activity, fans spinning, ect) This way I can tell if a fan might need replacing. I also agree with others in that you'll see a build up of dust quickly on the floor compared to on the desk.

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy
reply to summerphotos
I keep mine on the desk as well, less dust. Plus I can work on it easier if need be and making connections is easier as well, also has a big window on the side with pretty blue LED lights to look at . It does take up some space and is a tad nosier but I have a big desk and tunes to drown it out.
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

summerphotos

@optonline.net
Thanks so much for the response, it's appreciated!

Would something like this be okay?

»www.staples.com/TechniMobili-Fro···CL164549

It's on the floor, but includes a "CPU Caddy".

For me, I want as less dust as possible, but don't want to hear noise if it's on the desk. I guess I can't have everything, but I can't decide what's more important.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to summerphotos
I keep my in a computer desk unit with the door open. It gets much less dust that way and my cat cannot sleep on it, chew/play with the cords, etc. Airflow is fine. The one fan that can be seen by Speedfan doesn't often run higher than its lowest speed yet the video card never heats up much. I monitor the readings on my hard drives and CPU and they are fine in even the summer with no air conditioning. I could never put it on the desk as it weighs 50 pounds and would take up the entire desk space! It's huge. Plus, there would be no way to get the cables to the UPS if it sat on the desk which has back to it. In the cabinet, the back of the cabinet is open for the cables and airflow.

The one drawback to keeping it in the unit is that I cannot open it there but have to lift it out and down to the floor which means removing the cables first as they are not long enough to reach that far. Plus, for me, it is heavy to lift. Consequently, I have not had it open in years since I installed a second hard drive.

edit: Nasty site Staples is. It would not let me view your link because I blocked its cookies. I'm glad we don't have Staples here as with that attitude I would not want to shop at a Staples. Stupid sites like that lose business because of their insistence on tracking users.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
reply to summerphotos
Ya gotta put it together yourself. (Or someone does.) It might be a little flimsy and a little cramped.
Or it might not be that flimsy, and you may not spend enough time in front of the computer for it to feel cramped.
$179 . . . .

Me, I need some room and some stability. Otherwise, too much 'bull in a china shop' syndrome and feeling a lack of elbow room.
If I wanted to play it other than buying that Staples item (and assuming I'm on a budget), I'd figure out an idea of the set-up I wanted, then hit some yard sales or used furniture stores, hopefully find something I could use, then modify it if necessary. (Drill some holes, knock out a back panel, whatever.)

My monitor and keyboard sit on an old sturdy wooden dinette set table, which I now call "my desk".
Next to it is a two-tiered table. The computer box sits on the lower tier, and the upper tier is right next to my desk, with all my 'stuff' on it.
There's a table on the other side serving similar duties.

I guess that's all just to say-- Make sure the Staples table (or anything else you buy) appears well-suited for the purposes you require.

And my own preference is always to have the box off the floor but not on the desktop, btw.

said by Mele20:

Nasty site Staples is. It would not let me view your link because I blocked its cookies.

I viewed the link just fine without allowing cookies or scripting at the site.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
said by AB:

said by Mele20:

Nasty site Staples is. It would not let me view your link because I blocked its cookies.

But I bet you didn't use Opera...that may be the problem rather than cookies.

Ergonomically, you are ok without the lower slide out tray for the keyboard that you find with computer desks? I had to give up my on table set up years ago for that reason and to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to jjoshua
said by jjoshua:

If you keep it on the floor, it will suck in more dust.

this...if you put it on the floor....put a piece of wood, or something solid under it....keep the dust out....really necessary if you have a bottom mounted power supply...
--
I'm better than you!

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
reply to Mele20
There is a new version 11.00 of Opera which just came out. This may work better.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Internal update says I have the latest version. (1156) I always wait for internal update.

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by AB:

said by Mele20:

But I bet you didn't use Opera...

Right. Firefox.

Ergonomically, you are ok without the lower slide out tray for the keyboard that you find with computer desks?

Yes.
I'm no longer able to turn my head without also turning my shoulders, I have to use two hands to hold my coffee cup, and there's an odd formation beginning to grow from behind the base of my neck-- but I'm okay with that.
I have my computer and my desk, and the stuff on it is arranged to my liking.

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA
reply to Mele20
I received a notice that a new version of Opera was available, but, instead of allowing them to automatically send me the update, I went to the Opera website and manually downloaded/installed the new software.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I prefer to wait for internal update (which I have on manual so I have to check for one) because it may never be released to internal update. That is not done until the "guinea pigs" like you test it for them.
--

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA
As I indicated, they would have sent out the new version and installed it in the background if I had told them this was OK, so I guess that would have qualified as an "internal update". I preferred to update manually, however.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
That doesn't make sense. If the internal update was available to you then it would be available to all including me and there was NO internal update available when I checked after reading your first post. It doesn't matter though as I will wait for the release to internal updating as I learned the hard way that is the prudent thing to do. You go download it and install it from the website and then they pull it for bugs or whatever and then you have a mess. I'd rather wait for internal release (which might have happened today...I was gone all day and am on 10.62 now so I can't check unless I start version 11). Of course, if being "prudent" doesn't matter to you then, yeah, get it from the website the minute it is released and there is nothing wrong with deciding to do that but I don't want to do that.
--

daveinpoway
Premium
Poway, CA
Since many/most updates to browsers and other applications involve security fixes these days, yes, I do want to install the update as soon as I hear about it, so that I get the security improvements ASAP.

I keep the most recent previous version in my "Downloads" folder, so it is simple to reinstall the older version if the new one has issues.

Perhaps the internal update was available to me and not to you because I use a Mac and you use Windows; maybe the Mac version of the new Opera came out first.