spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Leafie
join:2007-07-23
North York, ON

Leafie

[DSL] DSL + VOIP Box + Wireless Router

Hey gang, I was wondering if it is at all possible to hook up my DSL model to a VOIP Box to go along with a wireless router. I've tried myself but ended up with 2 results: 1) the internet works but the phone doesn't and 2) the phone works but not the internet.

My VOIP box is from Linksys and has 2 phone ports, 4 ethernet ports, and one internet port.

My wireless router from D-Link has 1 WAN port and 4 ethernet ports.

My modem is a Speedtouch 516.

PunkChildP
Premium Member
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

PunkChildP

Premium Member

How do you have things hooked up?

My suggestion would be modem to wireless router then hooked the voip box to one of the wan ports on the router. This should function.

Paul
An_Onymous
join:2009-10-24
Canada

An_Onymous

You mean the LAN port...

Also OP should be more precise defining how it is NOT working... You don't go to see a doctor and only tell him that you are sick and nothing else. That is unless you ONLY want sympathy and no help from others.

Leafie
North York, ON

1 edit

Leafie to PunkChildP

to PunkChildP
Alright, here's where I think I'm having the problem...

First I connected from modem to router to set up my wireless connection. I typed in my PPPoE and I had no problems connecting to the internet using wifi. Then I went to hook up my voip box the way Paul suggested. I was unable to connect because the voip box is also searching for my PPPoE but I set it up on my wireless router.

I think the problem is both the voip box and router are fighting over who gets the PPPoE as I have it set up on both. Is this where the "bridge" connections comes in?

Edit: I can still see my wireless network, I just can't connect to it.

PunkChildP
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

PunkChildP

Premium Member

You should be able to setup the voip box as DHCP/Automatic Configuration.

Leafie
North York, ON

Leafie

Hi Paul, is the DHCP/Automatic Configuration in the router or voip box? I don't see anything like that on the voip box.

PunkChildP
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

PunkChildP

Premium Member

Potentially in the Voip box in the connection setup area.

Leafie
North York, ON

Leafie

Here's what is in the setup area:

Internet Connection Type: PPPoE, Static IP, and Obtain IP automatically.

Network Address
Server Settings DHCP:
Local DHCP Server: Enabled

I don't think this has to do with anything put I'll put it on.

In the access restrictions tab:
Block WAN Requests:
Block Anonymous Internet Requests: Enabled

lightrush
join:2008-04-14
Mississauga, ON

lightrush

@Leafle

It seems that your VoIP box has integrated router. You probably need to disable the routing capabilities of the box in similar fashion as to when you would use a wireless router as an access point. Try to do the following:

1. Figure out the subnet on which your D-Link router operates internally. That is from a computer connected to it - check its IP address. If the IP address is 192.168.1.X then the subnet is 192.168.1.*. If it is 192.168.0.X then it is 192.168.0.* and so on. Make a note of that.

2. Connect to the web interface of the VoIP box however you can, disable its DHCP server. Also set its IP address manually to be in the same subnet that you made note above. That is if subnet is 192.168.1.*, make the IP address something like 192.168.1.2. Netmask is 255.255.255.0 and gateway is the D-Link's IP address.

3. Once you have done setting up manual IP for the VoIP box, connect it to one of the LAN ports of the D-Link via one of its LAN ports. That is the cable has to go from LAN port of the VoIP box to a LAN port of the D-Link. Do not use the WAN port of the VoIP box.

The idea is to have one box with routing capabilities only. You could do it the other way around - using the VoIP box as a router connected to the modem and then assigning manual IP to the D-Link in the same fashion and using it only as an Access Point for wireless.
An_Onymous
join:2009-10-24
Canada

An_Onymous to Leafie

to Leafie
Internet Connection Type: "Obtain IP automatically" = TSI Paul's "DHCP/Automatic Configuration"

Local DHCP Server: Disable - as you only want your router to be the one doing anything.

If you are connecting the WAN of the VoIP box to the LAN port of your router, then you really DON'T want to block WAN access . Until you get it to work, do not play with blocking things... You are adding more unknowns to your own problem.

Leafie
North York, ON

Leafie to lightrush

to lightrush
@lightrush

You are right, my voip box is also a router.

1) I have made note of my D-Link router subnet.

2) I do not see the gateway portion. Also, do I leave my internet connection as PPPoE or do I obtain it automatically? If it's PPPoE, do I have to change it to obtain automatically on my D-Link?

Here is a screenshot of what I have:

»img64.imageshack.us/img6 ··· sysl.jpg

lightrush
Mississauga, ON

lightrush

@Leafle

Ok, visual is better .

So I am not sure which interface the VoIP client is working on - the LAN or WAN on the Linksys. So why don't we switch them the other way around and do it the easier way. To do that:

1. On that config page on the Linksys leave the Internet connection as PPPoE and enter your valid Teksavvy login credentials. Fill in some hostname - "rtp300" could be proper. Leave the Router IP as is - 192.168.0.1. This means your internal (LAN) subnet is 192.168.0.* and all IPs will be in that subnet. We will need those in the D-Link. Enable the DHCP server and save the config.

2. Connect the Linksys to the modem. That is WAN of Linksys to the modem.

3. Connect your laptop/desktop to the LAN of the Linksys and make sure you get Internet connection as well as the web interface at 192.168.0.1. At this point the VoIP should work as well.

4. Disconnect your laptop/pc from the Linksys and connect it to a LAN port of the D-Link. Do not connect anything else to the D-Link for now.

5. Get to the web interface of the D-Link and disable its Internet connection. Disable its DHCP server. Enable its wireless and set it up as you wish. Now set its LAN address to be 192.168.0.2 (this is within 192.168.0.*). If there are fields for Gateway and/or DNS input 192.168.0.1. Netmask is 255.255.255.0. Save the config and reboot the D-Link if needed. Effectively we have configured the D-Link to act as an Access Point only.

6. Connect the D-Link to the Linksys via LAN. That is a cable from a LAN port of the D-Link to a LAN port of the Linksys. Do not use the WAN port of the D-Link.

Now the Linksys is your router and VoIP box, and the D-Link is your wireless access point. You would connect all wired computers to the LAN ports of the Linksys and/or LAN ports of the D-Link (the LAN ports of the D-Link act as a switch now).

If you have problems with the configuration of the D-Link - provide the needed snapshots as you did for the Linksys (with available options for the dropdown fields) and I will help you.
scotsman88
join:2009-04-24

scotsman88

I have a Linksys SPA102 VOIP adapter, and D-Link Wifi Router, and Thomson ST546 modem. I had a $#$@#% of a time hooking up the voip behind either the router or modem, i was able to send outgoing calls, but nothing incoming would work. I had to hookup an ethernet switch behind the modem, and then hook the VOIP adapter to that, and its been working 100% since then. The wireless router is just hooked up to modem.
I can't remember where i read about it...but those Linksys adapters are very picky.

Leafie
North York, ON

Leafie to lightrush

to lightrush
I'll give it a try at around 11.

A couple of questions before I proceed.

1) Basically in the D-Link, the only thing I enable is the wireless? Does this mean no PPPoE or obtain IP automatically? When you say reboot, you don't mean reset right?

2) Does the ethernet cable from modem to voip box always remain in the WAN (it says "Internet" on my voip box) port after everything is set up?

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll let you know how things turn out and if I need further help .

lightrush
Mississauga, ON

lightrush

1. Only wireless. No PPPoE or Obtain IP Auto. Ideally just disable the Internet connnection. And the manual IPs as mention3. Reboot means reboot, not reset. That is unplug power and replug if no other method available.

2. The cable from the modem goes to the WAN port (Internet) of the Linksys. The chain is: Modem ()---(WAN) Linksys (LAN)---(LAN) D-Link. WAN port of D-Link is unused.

Leafie
North York, ON

Leafie

OMG!! Thank you so much lightrush. Everything went perfect and I now have an access point. Once again, thanks for all your help!

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

-
Just so that as many of us as possible learn something here, please would you post the model number of your VoIP/Router unit for us here ? (maybe edit your first post ?)

I just bought a Linksys VoIP unit, but mine has no router in it, so I expect that I will be using a hookup a lot like Lightrush's 1st plan, rather than what worked for you.

Good that you're fixed up.

Cheers !

EDIT : Except that my PAP2T VoIP unit will have to use its WAN port as it has no LAN ports at all - which is normal as it contains no router.

lightrush
Mississauga, ON

lightrush to Leafie

to Leafie
Glad that it worked.

@Davesnothere The ones that have no router (PAP2-*) are a breeze. Just connect and they get IP from your router just like any other device. I am using one of those myself. However there is a potential drawback compared as with OP's Linksys Router+VoIP box. In his case the box most probably prioritizes VoIP traffic automatically so that it can work even if you load your connection with other stuff. In your case as well as in my case we have to do the QoS ourselves to make sure there is always bandwidth for the VoIP box. And that brings all inherent issues such as whether the router supports QoS or not, does it do it properly and can we adjust it so that it actually works.

Leafie
North York, ON

Leafie to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
Sorry, I don't even know the model number. My voip company gave me the box and they covered it with their company stickers. I looked through the subnet access page but I couldn't find anything about a model.

I would take lightrush's suggestion especially considering he uses the same set up you would use.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to lightrush

Premium Member

to lightrush
said by lightrush:

Glad that it worked.

@Davesnothere The ones that have no router (PAP2-*) are a breeze. Just connect and they get IP from your router just like any other device. I am using one of those myself. However there is a potential drawback compared as with OP's Linksys Router+VoIP box. In his case the box most probably prioritizes VoIP traffic automatically so that it can work even if you load your connection with other stuff. In your case as well as in my case we have to do the QoS ourselves to make sure there is always bandwidth for the VoIP box. And that brings all inherent issues such as whether the router supports QoS or not, does it do it properly and can we adjust it so that it actually works.

-
Yes, I had heard that the model with the integrated router (the current Linksys model of that type is SPA-2102), which does not have the 4-port LAN switch (which the OP's instead DOES have) in it, and in fact seems to be using the same outer case as my PAP2T, is also said to have the same operational pros & cons as you have covered in this thread, including the same caveats about QoS.

Some folks have said that Tomato and/or DD-WRT firmware have QoS settings to config, and my WRT54GL router supports those firmwares.