Search similar:

uniqs
jkv
join:2010-04-02
Seminole, FL

4 edits

jkv

Whole Home DVR Costs

I just got off the phone with my local BH sales rep. Here's what I learned about the cost to upgrade to the Whole Home service.

1) There is a one-time fee of $100 to setup the Whole Home service. This I already knew from reading previous posts.

2) There is a $20 per month charge for the first Whole Home MASTER DVR and $10 per month for each additional MASTER. That's $30 for two DVR MASTERS.

3) I'm currently using 5 HD-DVRs. If I choose to use 2 MASTERS and 3 standard boxes, I could remove 3 DVRs from my service and knock $29.95 off of my monthly statement. But then I turn around and have to pay $30 for the 2 MASTERS. No savings there.

To summarize, upgrading from the 5 HD-DVRs that I have now to 2 Whole House DVRs and 3 standard boxes will cost me a $100 one-time setup fee and about $0.15 more per month. The monthly fees are pretty much the same (I can live with a 15 cent increase) but the $100 setup fee is the deal breaker.

Am I missing something? Is there more to Bright House's Whole Home solution than simply allowing multi cable box communication? I can't justify paying a $100 one-time setup fee when the only advantage would be the ability to watch a recorded show from any box in the house. Heck, I can already do that since I have a DVR on every TV.

Aside from the convenience of having all recorded shows on one or two MASTER boxes, I was really hoping to be able to save a little on my monthly bill. In all fairness to Bright House, I realize that they are in this business to make money and providing a service that lets us lower our monthly rates in exchange for a better product could be considered counterproductive to their bottom line. I'll be following this service closely and will be interested in reading what other customers have to say about their Whole Home DVR experiences.

(Edit added after Cisco's post)
Here's a little something for the techno-minded types. It's a paper that was written by two veterans of the communications industry in which they specifically address the challenges and rewards of implementing MoCA (also referred to as Whole Home DVR). It's a good read if you're into this kind of stuff.

»www.mocalliance.org/indu ··· MoCA.pdf

Cisco Kid
@rr.com

Cisco Kid

Anon

I feel as you do...and posted same in another Thread. BHN will come out to a new Customer and do all that is necessary to install that new Customer.....that many times means wiring from Box to House and wiring in the House. A new Install is free...and I think it includes up to 3...or maybe 2 Outlets. Yet, for current customers who would like to Upgrade to Whole House DVR...they are going to charge $100.00. I doubt any wiring is required. Does this make any sense? I cannot believe that a Whole House DVR Install could take a lot of time, its swapping out DVR's...not time consuming or hard work, and, installing a Filter on your Incoming Line. Compared to a New Install...which is Free....seems installing Whole House DVR would take a fraction of the time it does to do a NEW Install.

I would bet most customers have 1 DVR.....and some may have 2, but few have more than 2...and those customers will save Nothing on their Monthly Bill. In fact, Whole House DVR could be a higher monthly Bill since BH Customers have package Deals that Include a HD DVR.....

FIOS provides this service....and it is included in the base pricing, its neither an Add-on, or a service that can be removed. I was hoping BHN was going to Release WHDVR as a way to bring their services more in-line with FIOS, to be more competitive and not to find ways to past extra charges onto their customers. What could be the monthly costs to BH to provide WHDVR service to a Customer....I would bet the answer is "Zero". So not only will there be an extra charge for the Boxes (for those who have 1 Box)...they will also be charged $20.00 more a month.

It is time BHN appreciates its current Loyal customers......I many times feel those of us that have been with BHN for a Long time....are forgotten....or in this case "Nichol and Dimed". I hope BHN changes its fee on this service.....for their Loyal Long term customers..... I would like it, but would not get it with the current fees.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to jkv

Premium Member

to jkv
How do you figure $29.95 off your bill. HDDVR's x3 is $50.70 off your bill JKV.

OH NM....I forgot the box charge remains...my bad.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to Cisco Kid

Premium Member

to Cisco Kid
New customers will pay the same $100.00 install fee for WHDVR Cisco.

Fios does not include WHDVR for free contrary to what you might have been told and it's substantially limited in comparison to features. If you are going to compare at least make it a fair comparison.
jkv
Seminole, FL

jkv to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

How do you figure $29.95 off your bill. HDDVR's x3 is $50.70 off your bill JKV.

nvm. ya figured it out.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to jkv

Premium Member

to jkv
Okay if we're gonna talk about this lets get it right folks...

The $100 install fee applies to everyone new, old all the same.

The $20.00 replaces the $9.95 HDDVR service fee which means it's slightly higher than the single user HDDVR. You pay this only once no matter how many boxes you have (unless you have more than one WHDVR). Essentially a difference of $10.05 per month.

The $6.95 box fee did not go up and is the same price they have always charged for boxes.

Oh and Cisco....it's NICKEL
jkv
Seminole, FL

jkv

said by BHNtechXpert:

Okay if we're gonna talk about this lets get it right folks...

The $100 install fee applies to everyone new, old all the same.

The $20.00 replaces the $9.95 HDDVR service fee which means it's slightly higher than the single user HDDVR. You pay this only once no matter how many boxes you have (unless you have more than one WHDVR). Essentially a difference of $10.05 per month.

The $6.95 box fee did not go up and is the same price they have always charged for boxes.

Oh and Cisco....it's NICKEL

Yeah, the monthly rate is about the same no matter how you look at it. You turn in 2 DVRs and save $19.90 ($9.95 each), but then you turn around and pay $20.00 for a WHDVR. No big deal.

It's the $100 that kicks ya' in the !#*$

Will the WHDVR solution give us anything else besides multi-room DVR capabilities? How about multi-room gaming, personal content sharing, etc....

I'm really looking for a way to justify spending $100 for the switch to WHDVR. I'm just not seeing it. What am I missing?

Nikky T
@comcast.net

Nikky T

Anon

The moca technology is going to open all sorts of upgrades, streamings and so forth. In the future you will also see the moca modems and mta's.....
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

yeah I dont really know for sure what doors will open but I know that this is just the beginning of a pretty cool technology for us and I can only imagine that there will be more thing to come in the future.

Cisco Kid
@rr.com

Cisco Kid to BHNtechXpert

Anon

to BHNtechXpert
Sorry....Spell check let me down.....Please don't hold that against me.

Many Customers have a package whereby the Monthly Bill does NOT reflect the Monthly $9.95 and $6.95 HD DVR Charges....1 HD DVR is included in the Package Price. I wonder how this would "Shake Out" if the Customer wanted 1 WHDVR and 1 HD DVR.

With 1 WHDVR and 1 HD DVR....would the WHDVR "Recorded Programs" List show Recorded Programs off both Boxes? Could you playback a Recorded Show off the HD DVR and watch it on the TV where the WHDVR is connected?
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

no they wouldnt link. Only the MOCA boxes will see eachother. A regular dvr or HDDVR that ISNT moca arent able to see the network.

Harbour
@rr.com

Harbour

Anon

I would need 2 MOCA DVR's....I have a 8642 with a MOCA Stamp on it. I would want the capacity of 2 DVR's and the ability at times to be able to record more than 2 shows at a time. ....I would need another 8642 that is MOCA Ready (or wahtever other HD MOCA DVR Models will be available)?

But should I decide to have just the 1 MOCA DVR....what would be the HD (non-DVR) Cable Box model. The current non-DVR Boxes available today as I understand are not MOCA Capable.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

All the MOCA boxes cover HD or non-HD. So it doesn't matter what kind of TV you have.

Harbour
@rr.com

Harbour

Anon

The current Non-DVR Cable Boxes are not going to be Updated to MOCA Boxes...what are the Non-DVR MOCA Cable Boxes that will be used\available.
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

The only moca boxes are as followes

Samsung:
3272 (hd dvr)
3262 (hd NON dvr)

Cisco:
8642 (hd dvr)
4642 (hd NON dvr)

ANYTHING else is not moca compatible. These moca boxes are all HD boxes but can also support standard deff so you DO NOT have to have HD tv's. If you decide to get the whole home dvr, EVERYTHING has to be the same brand. Eventhough the samsung and cisco are both moca boxes, they wont work TOGETHER.

Harbour
@rr.com

Harbour

Anon

Is WHDVR Service available in Pinellas County? If not, is there a release date? I would image once this goes Public, the MOCA Boxes will be in tight supply......
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Yes
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim to Harbour

to Harbour
Its available and im pretty sure they have quite a few moca boxes sitting there.

gimme5
join:2002-12-23
Kissimmee, FL

gimme5 to jkv

to jkv
Is there some info online on the details of the service? I'm interested in knowing things like the number of tuners, can all tuners record HD at the same time...things like that.

Harbour
@rr.com

Harbour

Anon

I now have 2 DVR's, 1 is an HD DVR, the other is a SD DVR. I priced the Upgrade to Multiroom upgrading both boxes, 1 of course would be a WHDVR. My monthly bill would increase with taxes to about $30.00 plus, the one time $100.00 Install fee.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Harbour :

I now have 2 DVR's, 1 is an HD DVR, the other is a SD DVR. I priced the Upgrade to Multiroom upgrading both boxes, 1 of course would be a WHDVR. My monthly bill would increase with taxes to about $30.00 plus, the one time $100.00 Install fee.

If you are currently in a package that includes your SD and HDDVR then you will see an increase in what you pay if you go that router because you break those packages and regular pricing applies. Those however not in such packages would not see such. Before coming to conclusions you need to think about where you are right now and what you actually pay for right now.
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim to Harbour

to Harbour
both of your DVR's now are costing 6.95 for the box (each one) one is 9.95 and one is 8.95 for the service fee.. The whole home dvr is 6.95 for the box and 20 for the service fee. so 26.95 and then 7.95 for the HD box that will replace the second dvr. your old total was 33 for the boxes, now it will be 35 dollars for the new set up (rounding of course, exact pennies will be different). 2 bucks isnt much..
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to jkv

Premium Member

to jkv
Click for full size
said by gimme5:

Is there some info online on the details of the service? I'm interested in knowing things like the number of tuners, can all tuners record HD at the same time...things like that.

Gimme get rid of that worthless free php speed test you are spamming on your signature. I have a 40/5 connection and the enclosed pic is how it rated me. The software that "site" is using is worthless and full worthless adsense.