how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Miami, FL
kudos:1

Which Sattelite or Cable company has the best HD?

I live in Miami. My choices are Comcast, Direct-TV, Dish Network and U-verse. Who has the best HD quality?

jojo

@mchsi.com
I dont know about Comcast. But of the 2 DBS systems Directv has the better HD picture in my opinion. I have seen both ans decided on Directv for my house. I am quite happy with my choice.

I heard Rush Limbaugh talking a while back on his show and he said he had Directv because of NFL TV package and because he felt they had a better HD picture.

I figure he must know as he makes enough money to have what ever he wants at his mansion. lol

woodie

join:2000-09-23
Gulf Breeze, FL
reply to brianiscool
I have Dish HD and have been very happy with it. Our neighbors have Direct and it also looks very good to me. So, I think the answer is: pick who ever has the least drain on your wallet!!!

zed2608
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN
reply to brianiscool
directv has the most and best hd of all of them

one option you diffently dont want is uverse to much compression

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to brianiscool
best HD quality? OTA

HRO923
Dslr Junkie
Premium
join:2000-12-23
Roselle, IL
reply to brianiscool
I would have to say Directv .
--
Team Discovery

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:4
reply to brianiscool
DirecTV probably has the best HD quality, followed by Dish Network. It is very likely Comcast follows in 3d place, and U-Verse in last place. It is possible that, if you have a good quality local cable network with the latest upgrades, that the Comcast picture quality is very close, or matches that of the satellite providers.

It also depends on what you want.... DirecTV and Dish both have a LARGE HD channel selection, but they differ.... DirecTV has more local and sports HD, Dish has more national HD. There are a few channels still missing from both, (such as AMC HD at DirecTV), but that will most likely be resolved this year.

If you are a BIG on-demand user, Comcast might be the best. DirecTV has an extensive On-Demand selection (downloaded through internet connection, but quality is superb), but they do NOT have the main networks (NBC, CBS, FOX, etc) on demand, so if you missed your show.... you missed it.

DirecTV has a "whole house" DVR system which works awesome, and their units have DLNA support (in case you have a DLNA media server in your network full with DivX and MKV files). Dish does NOT have whole house DVR. U-Verse does, and it works great from what I heard. Comcast it varies by area, but most areas do NOT have whole house DVR yet.

If it pure picture quality: DirecTV all the way.

They also carry the most sports, if that is of interest to you.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to brianiscool
said by brianiscool:

Who has the best HD quality?

Remember, people can only answer this question if they've SEEN HD programming from each provider... If I were to tell you "Dish Network", it doesn't hold much weight because I've not seen D* HD (on my TV) and have never seen Comcast (that I know of).

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:4
reply to brianiscool
Hall is correct. For instance, I have seen Time Warner Cable, DirecTV and U-Verse, and out of those three DirecTV is the clear winner in picture quality, TWC comes in second, U-Verse comes in third.

HOWEVER! DirecTV wins on HD channels, but I think the SD channel quality is a little better on TWC.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Port Costa, CA
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

best HD quality? OTA

^^^
This, I've got both DBS services at my house and I can say hands down OTA wins. DishHD was nice but they got stingy and started to put too many channs on each TP. D* on the other hands does god knows what to ruin their HD picture. So whenever I can I watch OTA.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to brianiscool
said by brianiscool:

My choices are Comcast, Direct-TV, Dish Network and U-verse.

What channels MUST you have ? NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, ESPN, Discovery, USA, etc, etc...

treeman
Premium
join:2000-07-15
Mcgaheysville, VA
reply to brianiscool
Directv, Dish, Comcast here, in HD, Directv has the edge, next I think is a tie between Dish and Comcast.But in SD I think that Dish may have a very slight edge over Directv and Comcast but since all that I want to watch is in HD then I have to say Directv. Plus my bill is much less with Directv

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to brianiscool
We have U-Verse and its HD looks about the same as when we had Dish Network HD. Comcast HD does not look nearly as good (in Houston at least). We also have FIOS HD service at our other place in the Dallas area and it is on par with our U-Verse and previous Dish Network HD service.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA
reply to brianiscool
I am quite happy with DirecTV

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to brianiscool
In my area I have DirecTV and my brother & parents have Comcast.
DirecTV HD is far better. My parents are considering switching now that locals are finally available in my area. Sixty foot pine trees surrounding his house is preventing my brother from switching.

mikepd
Discovery
Premium,MVM
join:2000-10-26
New Port Richey, FL
reply to brianiscool
Given the various responses, I feel the answer is truly subjective. We have Dish and when we go over to a friend's who has FIOS TV, I always think her set looks worse than ours does. Is this because of FIOS or the fact that our set is calibrated and hers is not?

The other factor to consider when thinking about DBS service is the fact that we have nothing blocking our line-of-sight. So we get maximum signal all the time.

Just because one vendor may have a better signal than another, are you going to notice the difference at your particular location? I think the best bet is to try out the top two and make your decision during their free try out period.
--
Always Reach Beyond Your Grasp

Poorfellow

join:2008-03-16
New York, NY
said by mikepd:

Given the various responses, I feel the answer is truly subjective. We have Dish and when we go over to a friend's who has FIOS TV, I always think her set looks worse than ours does. Is this because of FIOS or the fact that our set is calibrated and hers is not?

The other factor to consider when thinking about DBS service is the fact that we have nothing blocking our line-of-sight. So we get maximum signal all the time.

Just because one vendor may have a better signal than another, are you going to notice the difference at your particular location? I think the best bet is to try out the top two and make your decision during their free try out period.

Neither provider has a free try-out period...

Technically, DirecTV would have a higher resolution delivered to a given set, as Dish apparently reduces resolution to 1440x1080i on otherwise 1920x1080i programming.

FiOS is superior to both DBS providers, as a full MPEG-2 stream is passed, unshaped and untouched by all accounts and at full rate.

A properly calibrated set on any of the above will be superior to an identical, non-calibrated set on any service.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:14
reply to zed2608

quote:
directv has the most and best hd of all of them
This is true of any programs providers YES but as BF69 says,OTA HD IS THE BEST!! (Not nearly as compressed)

I dont care for HD but i would suggest going with DTV

MacThrasher
Premium
join:2002-04-26
Chagrin Falls, OH
reply to brianiscool

Re: Which Sattelite or Cable company has the best HD?

Can't say as Comcast is not the cable provider in this area, Time Warner Cable is. I have compared TWC, Dish, and DirecTV HD quality and for me DirecTV wins hands down.

Acohen

join:2011-04-14
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to brianiscool
We had Dish for several years and last year we switched to u verse. Picture quality about the same. No soccer in HD so last month we switched again but this time to direct tv. The best picture by far in HD. No limit on how many HD tv can be on at the same time (u verse limit is2). On Demand of premium channels (HBO) much better on u verse, however, since on uverse you watch intenteniously while direct requires you to download first.
Expand your moderator at work

stev32k
Premium
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to brianiscool

Re: Which Sattelite or Cable company has the best HD?

I can't comment on U-verse but I have had Mediacom, Comcast, Charter, and directv. I'm not real picky about picture quality so all the cable company pictures were okay with me, but the Directv HD picture quality is really outstanding. I thought all the cable companies had good picture quality until I got Directv and was surprised at how much better HD looked.

DaMainMan

@charter.com
In my experiences, picture quality-wise, FiOS HD is the king... Its stunningly clear, with DirecTV coming in a close 2nd. Charter, Cox, and Comcast all look like garbage compared to Fios and DirecTV. I have not seen Dish Network picture quality.

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to brianiscool
I've never seen Comcast but I have had Directv and I now have my local cable and Directv is way better than my local cable is. I have seen Fios too and think it is on par with Directv. Cable for me is cheaper right now but I still like HD on Directv way better.

Anorexorcist
Premium
join:2005-08-21
Stamford, CT
reply to brianiscool
No question, Dish has the best HD picture when comparing to Direct.
I recently was able to compare Direct and Dish HD side by side. While both images were quite good, Dish had the overall better picture. Either way you go, I can't imagine cable HD would be able to offer a better picture. The only real competition DBS has in regards to HD picture quality is OTA and FiOS.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
reply to stev32k
said by stev32k:

I thought all the cable companies had good picture quality until I got Directv and was surprised at how much better HD looked.

Crystal clear

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
reply to brianiscool
I'm curious about this, too. Just about everybody I know puts cable last, but usually they rank DirecTV higher than Dish for HD. I know its a highly subjective topic, but I've been following it with interest as now I've decided to go with satellite, but haven't decided which one.
--
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. XM

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
said by BillRoland:

I know its a highly subjective topic...

It is and everyone's eyes are different. It's foolish to ask "which is the best". I guess if one wants to compare based on numbers, in theory cable should almost always win. Next would be DirecTV since they transmit at a higher resolution (1920x1080i for 1080i channels) whereas Dish does 1440x1080i for the same 1080i channels. That said, can people see the difference ? Probably not....

Also, too many people with Dish will say "Dish is the best"; people with DirecTV will say "DirecTV is the best"; and so on.... How many people have multiple service providers at the same time and compared with the same TV ? You can't compare one service from a year ago to another service today nor can you compare on different TVs since the TV itself is a big factor!

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·DIRECTV
In my area I have seen DirecTV in HD, I had DishHD, I currently have U-verse HD and have seen Comcast HD. If I had to rank them it would be DirecTV with DishHD in a close 2nd, Comcast 3rd but still pretty good HD PQ, and U-verse dead last as their signal is over-compressed and pixelated junk. I just ordered DirecTV today and am looking forward to seeing awesome HD PQ again!!!

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
I had DirecTV installed last week. The HD is far superior to what I was getting with Cox (on the same TV, so I'm doing an apples to apples comparison).
--
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. XM