lightrush
join:2008-04-14
Mississauga, ON

lightrush to Leafie

to Leafie

Re: [DSL] DSL + VOIP Box + Wireless Router

@Leafle

Ok, visual is better .

So I am not sure which interface the VoIP client is working on - the LAN or WAN on the Linksys. So why don't we switch them the other way around and do it the easier way. To do that:

1. On that config page on the Linksys leave the Internet connection as PPPoE and enter your valid Teksavvy login credentials. Fill in some hostname - "rtp300" could be proper. Leave the Router IP as is - 192.168.0.1. This means your internal (LAN) subnet is 192.168.0.* and all IPs will be in that subnet. We will need those in the D-Link. Enable the DHCP server and save the config.

2. Connect the Linksys to the modem. That is WAN of Linksys to the modem.

3. Connect your laptop/desktop to the LAN of the Linksys and make sure you get Internet connection as well as the web interface at 192.168.0.1. At this point the VoIP should work as well.

4. Disconnect your laptop/pc from the Linksys and connect it to a LAN port of the D-Link. Do not connect anything else to the D-Link for now.

5. Get to the web interface of the D-Link and disable its Internet connection. Disable its DHCP server. Enable its wireless and set it up as you wish. Now set its LAN address to be 192.168.0.2 (this is within 192.168.0.*). If there are fields for Gateway and/or DNS input 192.168.0.1. Netmask is 255.255.255.0. Save the config and reboot the D-Link if needed. Effectively we have configured the D-Link to act as an Access Point only.

6. Connect the D-Link to the Linksys via LAN. That is a cable from a LAN port of the D-Link to a LAN port of the Linksys. Do not use the WAN port of the D-Link.

Now the Linksys is your router and VoIP box, and the D-Link is your wireless access point. You would connect all wired computers to the LAN ports of the Linksys and/or LAN ports of the D-Link (the LAN ports of the D-Link act as a switch now).

If you have problems with the configuration of the D-Link - provide the needed snapshots as you did for the Linksys (with available options for the dropdown fields) and I will help you.
scotsman88
join:2009-04-24

scotsman88

I have a Linksys SPA102 VOIP adapter, and D-Link Wifi Router, and Thomson ST546 modem. I had a $#$@#% of a time hooking up the voip behind either the router or modem, i was able to send outgoing calls, but nothing incoming would work. I had to hookup an ethernet switch behind the modem, and then hook the VOIP adapter to that, and its been working 100% since then. The wireless router is just hooked up to modem.
I can't remember where i read about it...but those Linksys adapters are very picky.

Leafie
join:2007-07-23
North York, ON

Leafie to lightrush

to lightrush
I'll give it a try at around 11.

A couple of questions before I proceed.

1) Basically in the D-Link, the only thing I enable is the wireless? Does this mean no PPPoE or obtain IP automatically? When you say reboot, you don't mean reset right?

2) Does the ethernet cable from modem to voip box always remain in the WAN (it says "Internet" on my voip box) port after everything is set up?

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll let you know how things turn out and if I need further help .

lightrush
join:2008-04-14
Mississauga, ON

lightrush

1. Only wireless. No PPPoE or Obtain IP Auto. Ideally just disable the Internet connnection. And the manual IPs as mention3. Reboot means reboot, not reset. That is unplug power and replug if no other method available.

2. The cable from the modem goes to the WAN port (Internet) of the Linksys. The chain is: Modem ()---(WAN) Linksys (LAN)---(LAN) D-Link. WAN port of D-Link is unused.

Leafie
North York, ON

Leafie

OMG!! Thank you so much lightrush. Everything went perfect and I now have an access point. Once again, thanks for all your help!

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

-
Just so that as many of us as possible learn something here, please would you post the model number of your VoIP/Router unit for us here ? (maybe edit your first post ?)

I just bought a Linksys VoIP unit, but mine has no router in it, so I expect that I will be using a hookup a lot like Lightrush's 1st plan, rather than what worked for you.

Good that you're fixed up.

Cheers !

EDIT : Except that my PAP2T VoIP unit will have to use its WAN port as it has no LAN ports at all - which is normal as it contains no router.

Leafie
North York, ON

Leafie

Sorry, I don't even know the model number. My voip company gave me the box and they covered it with their company stickers. I looked through the subnet access page but I couldn't find anything about a model.

I would take lightrush's suggestion especially considering he uses the same set up you would use.