spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Good Wife

join:2007-05-31

Using 2wire 2701 as AP with 2wire 3800

I am wondering, since the wireless portion of my uVerse RG is in total failure mode but the ethernet connection is working fine, can I use my old DSL router/RG as a temporary wireless access point? If so I will need a lot of hand holding and explanations on how to do it since I am not a very network tech savvy person.

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
kudos:1

4 edits

I think theoretically it can work. Just hook the RG's lan port to the 2701's LAN port.

Before you do that though, you should set up the 2701's wifi, and disable DHCP on the 2701, by directly connecting the 2701 to your PC. Then hook it to the 3800.

EDIT: You'll need to change the 2701's default IP address from 192.168.1.254 as well, but as I haven't used my 2701 in a year or so, I don't remember how/if that can be done.

EDIT2: Oh piss... I think I misunderstood your intentions. You intend to have the 3800 replaced? If you don't have a 3800, you can't get U-verse. The 2701 is an ADSL modem and the 3800 is a VDSL modem.

scots
Are we there yet??
Premium
join:1999-12-06
Fuquay Varina, NC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Good Wife

AT&T should replace your U-verse gateway at no cost to you if it's malfunctioning.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe an old DSL gateway can be connected to a U-verse RG and used as a wireless access point. The 2701 is expecting internet traffic to be coming in via the phone line and connected to the phone line port on the 2701, and I don't believe connecting the two LAN port to LAN port is going to do anything. Even if this was possible, you'd most likely have to flash the 2701 with some sort of custom firmware (which may or may not exist) that would allow it to function as an access point rather than as a DSL gateway.

It would probably be easier to just go to Best Buy or somewhere and buy an inexpensive wireless router. If you don't want to keep it, you could always return it when you get the new U-verse gateway from AT&T.

Good Wife

reply to WhyMe420

We have uVerse with a dead radio. A new 3800 is on its way. I was just wondering how to get connected in the meantime. I only have one old desktop computer far far away from the rest of my house and would like to use my laptop where it is warm and cozy. So I wanted to just use the old RG as a router / access point - since it would act only as a router....

WhyMe420
Premium

said by Good Wife:

We have uVerse with a dead radio. A new 3800 is on its way. I was just wondering how to get connected in the meantime. I only have one old desktop computer far far away from the rest of my house and would like to use my laptop where it is warm and cozy. So I wanted to just use the old RG as a router / access point - since it would act only as a router....

Oh, right... In that case try what I said, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

scots
Are we there yet??
Premium
join:1999-12-06
Fuquay Varina, NC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

said by WhyMe420:

said by Good Wife:

Oh, right... In that case try what I said, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

As I stated above, I may be mistaken, but I really don't think your suggestion will work. I don't believe a DSL gateway is setup in a way to accept internet traffic via one of its LAN ports and become a wireless access point. I really don't think this would be possible without flashing it with some sort of custom firmware that would allow this, if such a firmware even exists out there anywhere.

dave006

join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL

scots, sorry but you are mistaken.

The OP just wants to use the AP capability in the 2Wire 2701 without the DSL capability. So it will only be Lan to Lan traffic between the RG and the 2701.

The OP just needs to follow the suggestions above to get it into a compatible state to act as only an Wireless AP and not provide any other services like DHCP or DNS.

Dave

Good Wife

Dave, correct. All I want to have it do is provide a wireless signal for my devices that are not able to connect to the RG I have now. I will give it a try. I just got a shipping notice telling me that my 3800 will be replaced with a 3600. Since we have had nothing but trouble with the two 3800s we have had with respect to wireless, maybe a 3600 will be a change. All I know is nothing can connect to this RG at present - only connection is an old desktop computer in a very inconvenient location.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
reply to Good Wife

said by Good Wife:

I am wondering, since the wireless portion of my uVerse RG is in total failure mode but the ethernet connection is working fine, can I use my old DSL router/RG as a temporary wireless access point?

Yes you can do this
Here's some instructions on the changes you'll need to make to the 2701HG-B
Go to this 2wire page
192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=B05
Change the dsl line selection to line 1
Go to this 2wire page
192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C06
Select configure manually
Set the router address to 192.168.1.253
Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
Click the save button

Good Wife

awesome now if I can screw up the courage to actually do it...
they shipped a 3600 today and it has arrived. I am going to try that first since I do not have TV at this point.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

If you have the replacement for the 3800
You no longer need a temporary wireless access point

Good Wife

3600 seems to be working okay. I still have to add a few more devices (HDDVR and game console). But the lappies are happy now. Finally.

Not holding my breath since the second 3800 lasted two days before it started acting up, and the first one an entire month. I guess time will tell.

WhyMe420
Premium

said by Good Wife:

3600 seems to be working okay. I still have to add a few more devices (HDDVR and game console). But the lappies are happy now. Finally.

Not holding my breath since the second 3800 lasted two days before it started acting up, and the first one an entire month. I guess time will tell.

A lot (98% it seems like) of the 3800s are refurbished, and hopefully the 3600 isn't, so maybe that could help.

I'm pretty sure my 3800 is refurbished, however I don't use the wirelss on it. I have another router for that.

Good Wife

The 3600 solved all the problems. I was able to set up my DirecTv On Demand, select a free HD movie and start watching it immediately. Before, with all the disconnects it took several hrs. My iPad is working flawlessly, the internet channel on the Wii works finally and all I have to do is add my Blackberry and iPhones.

A CSR told me that the 3600s are the 'cleanest' since they are user install. Thing is working fine. I am amazed.

Currently set to channel 9, since a look around the neighborhood shows 10 SSIDs and most are on 1, 6 and 11. I left the push button set up disabled since we have no WPS aware devices save the Blackberry 8900.

Finally I am happy. Took 2 months!

WhyMe420
Premium

One thing to note. Using channel 9 won't really keep you free of interference because channel 9's frequency range overlaps channels 6 and 11. You'd most likely have better luck with using either channel 1, channel 6, or channel 11, as they do not overlap each other. I would measure which channel has the least amount of neighbors using it, or has neighbors that are farther away, and use that channel.

Russell_

join:2006-04-06
reply to wayjac

said by wayjac:

said by Good Wife:

I am wondering, since the wireless portion of my uVerse RG is in total failure mode but the ethernet connection is working fine, can I use my old DSL router/RG as a temporary wireless access point?

Yes you can do this
Here's some instructions on the changes you'll need to make to the 2701HG-B
Go to this 2wire page
192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=B05
Change the dsl line selection to line 1
Go to this 2wire page
192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C06
Select configure manually
Set the router address to 192.168.1.253
Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
Click the save button

This is pretty neat! What if both radios are functioning? Can one have two networks on different channels? Will each need to allocate from a separate set of DHCP addresses since 2701 will presumably also be allocating from 192.168.1.x?
--
Russell

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

said by Russell_:

What if both radios are functioning?

Both can work at the same time
said by Russell_:

Can one have two networks on different channels? Will each need to allocate from a separate set of DHCP addresses since 2701 will presumably also be allocating from 192.168.1.x?

The reconfigured 2wire will only be a access point and extra ethernet ports for the other "router"
The reconfigured 2wire has it's dhcp server disabled
The reconfigured 2wire will ba a part of the others router network
this can be done with many wireless routers

Russell_

said by wayjac:

said by Russell_:

said by Russell_:

Can one have two networks on different channels? Will each need to allocate from a separate set of DHCP addresses since 2701 will presumably also be allocating from 192.168.1.x?

The reconfigured 2wire will only be a access point and extra ethernet ports for the other "router"

With both radios operating on different channels the reconfigured 2 wire can have it's own SSID and own security (WEP/WPA/WPA2) key. Correct?
--
Russell

WhyMe420
Premium

said by Russell_:

said by wayjac:

said by Russell_:

said by Russell_:

With both radios operating on different channels the reconfigured 2 wire can have it's own SSID and own security (WEP/WPA/WPA2) key. Correct?

Yes.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to Russell_

Yes, the reconfigured 2 wire can have a unique wireless configuration

Russell_

More for proof of concept than because I need it, I created a "guest" SSID with it's own WPA2 key. All works as folks have described. When we have visitors it would be trivial to bring this online and not worry about configuring the other one (which also controls access by MAC address). I guess it would have been relatively easy to disable MAC address control on the other one.
--
Russell

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

Just keep in mind that the "guest ssid" has access to any resources on the network
The mac filter has a enable/disable option

Russell_

said by wayjac:

Just keep in mind that the "guest ssid" has access to any resources on the network
The mac filter has a enable/disable option

Yes, as a consequence of being on the same subnet. And, if you go to the client list in the 2701 you see all the boxes on that subnet.

I take it there is no way to use the radio on the 2701 to be a client of a different router - in other words for the 2701 to communicate with another wireless router so that devices which only have an ethernet port now have access to the Internet? Like the way you can flash certain routers with DD-WRT and put it in Client mode.
--
Russell

WhyMe420
Premium

said by Russell_:

I take it there is no way to use the radio on the 2701 to be a client of a different router - in other words for the 2701 to communicate with another wireless router so that devices which only have an ethernet port now have access to the Internet? Like the way you can flash certain routers with DD-WRT and put it in Client mode.

Highly doubt that possibility exists, especially with the default firmware. I don't believe that there is any custom firmware for the 2701. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If I am, I might even dig out my 2701 because it would come in handy.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to Russell_

said by Russell_:

I take it there is no way to use the radio on the 2701 to be a client of a different router

The 2wire can not be configured as a client of a access point