spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

System
reply to kdshapiro

Re: REFERENCE: FTP Modes and Ports

I agree completely with Ken. Bill the inoformation you are providing is wonder full Good job man

Moose2

join:2002-02-23
Albany, NY

Here's an article that describes IIS's FTP server and its support for active/passive modes. It also describes the different Microsoft FTP clients:

»support.microsoft.com/default.as···;Q283679
[text was edited by author 2002-03-03 15:59:32]

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
Hi Moose. Good link!

But interesting they got this one: "Internet Explorer 5.1 and earlier Passive"
... flat wrong! They meant to say Active. I know this because Active/PORT mode is much easier to make firewall rules for - it's an inbound connection with a *source* port of port 20. PASV mode means you have to practically give MSIE the whole farm to connect outbound - something I'll never do. I wish they'd left it alone...

This one...
"Internet Explorer 5.5 and later Both"
Can be clarified by adding "but the settings are not reliable." MSIE 5.5 and 6.0 both refuse to stay in one mode or the other - regardless the setting "Use PASV FTP for compatibility...". I also found it depends on the last mode used and whether or not "Enable folder view for FTP sites" is on or not. It looks like it works for awhile but wait 'til tomorrow and look at logs again... fun, huh?

Moose2

join:2002-02-23
Albany, NY
Bill, have you see this on enabling passive mode in IE?

»support.microsoft.com/default.as···;Q309816

It must apply to I.E. 5 because it doesn't mention the "Use PASV FTP" option that I have in 5.5 and 6.0.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
That explains what I've seen alrighty! The "folder view" affecting the mode and the fact 5.1 (and 4.x, 5.0) was Active/PORT mode - since I never used folder view. This folder-view option still affects 6.0's mode I found out (the hard way, of course ).

Currently, I'm on MSIE 5.5 on this box. I just checked and I don't have folder views and I don't have PASV. But... it clearly connects PASV mode (a sniffer or my personal firewall indicates this). Why?

Now... a not-so-technical user uses MSIE for ftp. What mode will they be using? How can you make it one or the other reliably? THAT is the problem to somehow overcome and I've seen no way to reliably do that.