Search similar:

uniqs
Keiro
join:2005-10-25
Birmingham, AL

2 edits

Keiro

Internet outages last night and day before

ISPGeek: Before you tell me to, yes, I'm calling in to Brighthouse as soon as the office opens here today.

I do not know what the cause of the outages were, but for whatever reason, around 1AM last night and the night before, the modem completely falls off of the BH network.

It has happened again this night, so... I'm wondering what the causes were, if available here.

Zip code is 93306.

The annoying part is that I woke up right after the modem falls off. It then stays offline between 1AM and... I'd say maybe 2AM? Or 3AM? I wasn't keeping track because I also for whatever reason caused my laptop to be unable to boot from its hard drive.

So I'm doing data recovery off of it right now and seeing what the issue is. But I figured I'd post here about it as a sort of note to myself that something's happening.

Whatever it is, it's annoying because I don't know what the cause was. And since it seems to be happening only in the early morning, a truck roll is probably not going to help unless it's right at that time, as the modem remains online throughout the day after it drops off and resyncs back to the BHN, but we'll see how this goes.

Also, information about the network:

Cable Modem -> D-Link DIR-825 -> 1 wired PC, XBox 360 & SorensonVRS. -> Wireless bridge -> wired XBox 360 & SorensonVRS. Three wireless laptops connected to the same network.

D-Link DIR-825 controls everything. Wireless bridge is a Netgear WNR2000v2.

Edit: D-Link DIR-825 firmware was on 1.12NA, is now on 1.13NA. Netgear WNR2000v2 on DD-WRT firmware is now on DD-WRT v24-SP2 12/19/10 STD-NOKAID-SMALL.

Just added this just in case it's needed in future.

Any further info, let me know.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Kerio personally I would let that go a day or two and I'll tell you why. That falls within the maintenance window and it very well could be nothing but that. If it continues beyond lets say tomorrow then it's something to look into. Ordinarily these things are short lived (meaning less than an hour) and don't persist over days but you are about to undergo ungrades sooo with that said some of the work would be done late night and obviously some during the day. Thing about these windows is they don't always start at the same time each night for each person so while they are planned they may not appear to be to the end user. Make sense?
Keiro
Birmingham, AL

Keiro

... Lol, well that explains why it starts roughly around the same time.

I'd been wondering why it seemed to be happening roughly around the same time the night before and last night.

I was actually going to call in and ask if that was maintenance or not. If it was, I'd have told my roommates to shut up and quit complaining because it's maintenance. I don't personally have an issue with downtimes like this early in the morning, but when I've got roommates hopping onto my nuts... well... yeah.

I'll keep an eye out though. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

As for upgrades, does that mean we're getting Lighting? If so, I'm incredibly amused because I asked if the upgrades were happening anytime soon, and here it is, happening right after I ask.

By what you say and what the office says, I'm almost tempted to say we are.

Edit: Also, for whatever reason, just as I'm about to go wipe my laptop in preparation for the OS reload, it decides to work properly. WTF, laptop.

I have a feeling it knows that I was about to do something detrimental to its health in regards to the wipe lol
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Yea man I would give it a day or two especially during that timeframe. The other possibility is temperature related issues BUT you don't have any cold worthy of talking about there and it would persist well into the early morning if not get worse over time. People forget that just because they are getting ready for bed doesn't mean everyone is. Cable is a 24/7/365 operation even if the closed sign is up on the front door there are always people in back making sure that things keep running as they should be.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to Keiro

Premium Member

to Keiro
And for all the others consumption this does not apply to just internet...it applies to all the services they provide. Depending on the work being done it may affect internet, cable and/or phone in your area. You may see this as something as simple as the inability to order a pay per view movie to a complete outage of service for a few minutes. It's normal and it beats having the required work done at lets say 8pm at night when yer smack in the middle of pwning your best friend in Chicago or watching a football game....I think you get the idea
Keiro
Birmingham, AL

Keiro

Actually, it was pretty darned chilly the last couple days. But I don't think it's temperature related, either. If it is, though, it'd have shown up until it'd warmed up enough for it to not be having issues.

Though I'm wondering, is there's a way to test for that... artificially, I mean?

I tend to be up at any general time of the day... it's actually difficult for me to keep a schedule, but I think I'm finally settling down to it. But... yeah lol

I figured it applied to all the services, and yeah, I do get the idea. Mostly, I don't care so long as stuff works. But in general, I tend to monitor stuff before deciding to go and "yell", as it were, at people at the local office because of being in the web-hosting business. So that monitoring mentality kinda cascades over into my personal life.

Mostly, I'll just tell my roommates that I've called it in when I actually haven't. And they'll be good with that, considering there's not much anyone can really do besides call it in and diagnose stuff to the best of their abilities.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Keiro:

Actually, it was pretty darned chilly the last couple days. But I don't think it's temperature related, either. If it is, though, it'd have shown up until it'd warmed up enough for it to not be having issues.

Though I'm wondering, is there's a way to test for that... artificially, I mean?

I tend to be up at any general time of the day... it's actually difficult for me to keep a schedule, but I think I'm finally settling down to it. But... yeah lol

I figured it applied to all the services, and yeah, I do get the idea. Mostly, I don't care so long as stuff works. But in general, I tend to monitor stuff before deciding to go and "yell", as it were, at people at the local office because of being in the web-hosting business. So that monitoring mentality kinda cascades over into my personal life.

Mostly, I'll just tell my roommates that I've called it in when I actually haven't. And they'll be good with that, considering there's not much anyone can really do besides call it in and diagnose stuff to the best of their abilities.

There is no way for you to test for that. It would require a tech.
Keiro
Birmingham, AL

Keiro

Ah, if only I've the experience of a cable internet tech. :P

Thanks for answering that, though.
XenithOrb
Premium Member
join:2003-06-06
Port Orange, FL

XenithOrb to Keiro

Premium Member

to Keiro
How weird I saw your zip and I had no idea BHN was in Bakersfield, CA. I figured it was all TWC out there as that's what I had when Iw as living in that general direction. What an odd spread of service. Sorry to contribute nothing, lol but I thought I'd chime in and say that. Good luck with getting your services fixed.
Keiro
Birmingham, AL

Keiro

Lol.

We've had Brighthouse for years here. I remember them when I was a wee kid... so they've been here for 10+ years.

But of course, this was in the early 1990s.

So far, no issues. Maintenance as I suspected. Figures that my roommates're hopping on my nuts for apparently nothing. I'll keep an eye on it, though.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Keiro:

Lol.

We've had Brighthouse for years here. I remember them when I was a wee kid... so they've been here for 10+ years.

But of course, this was in the early 1990s.

So far, no issues. Maintenance as I suspected. Figures that my roommates're hopping on my nuts for apparently nothing. I'll keep an eye on it, though.

Status Keiro?
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim to XenithOrb

to XenithOrb
said by XenithOrb:

How weird I saw your zip and I had no idea BHN was in Bakersfield, CA. I figured it was all TWC out there as that's what I had when Iw as living in that general direction. What an odd spread of service. Sorry to contribute nothing, lol but I thought I'd chime in and say that. Good luck with getting your services fixed.

yep, bakersfield, detroit, tampa, central florida, birmingham and I think a market in indiana. I would agree that its a bit of an odd spread.
willzzz
join:2007-05-23
NY

willzzz to Keiro

to Keiro
post your modem log of »192.168.100.1

Same thing happened to me, I knew it was an upgrade to D3 because immediately after my modem changed channels and my speeds got faster!
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

Dont expect your speeds to get faster. Not sure what happened with yours willzzz, Im not doubting you but there was probably something else done somewhere that caused you to see the speed increase. the modems should be changing channels from time to time to balance load or if there is a noise issue or something on a paticular channel.
Keiro
Birmingham, AL

Keiro to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
No issues, thus far. Forgot to say that there's nothing, beyond maintenance outages going on.

timtimtim: Yeah, I agree.

willzzz: No need. I'll simply monitor the situation... I DO know D3's coming out sometime this year for my area.

Beyond that, I'm quite happy with BHN's service. I'll admit at least this, it's just as good as Comcast's, in my experience.

Charter? Meh. Cox, also meh.

BHN and Comcast're the ISPs so far that have earned my desire to hop onto a business connection and run a few servers... though I'm not doing that now on my residential connection. >_>

Either way though, all is good on this end.

ispgeek: Thanks for keeping an eye on this. ;D
theteamaster
join:2006-06-05
Irvine, CA

theteamaster

I agree with you Keiro. The service is pretty reasonable and I have had no horror stories about problems not being fixed.

By the way, lightening is going live in the beginning of April according to a tier 3 tech I'm speaking to. "still"

Also hi from Bakersfield too!
LonghornXP
join:2005-08-27
Largo, FL

LonghornXP

said by theteamaster:

I agree with you Keiro. The service is pretty reasonable and I have had no horror stories about problems not being fixed.

By the way, lightening is going live in the beginning of April according to a tier 3 tech I'm speaking to. "still"

Also hi from Bakersfield too!

I'm shocked you don't have it yet. I will say that when that big day comes you will love it. Just have that download manager ready and rearing to go for Lightning. I'll tell ya its great downloading iso files from technet at 4.6+ megabytes per second transfer rates. The same holds true for linux iso files and the one billion windows updates after a fresh install of Windows XP lol.
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

^ yeah we got it first by quite some time.. I think california is the last to get it. Atleast by the time they get it, there shouldnt be any bugs to work out
bighorn1
Premium Member
join:2004-06-19
BD, CA

bighorn1 to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
said by BHNtechXpert:

Status Keiro?

They're still reassigning large blocks of IPs (On few I've checked out still resolve to BHN Tampa).
This morning there was short outage around 1:30am.

Might take few more days...
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by bighorn1:

said by BHNtechXpert:

Status Keiro?

They're still reassigning large blocks of IPs (On few I've checked out still resolve to BHN Tampa).
This morning there was short outage around 1:30am.

Might take few more days...

Short incidents at 1:30am don't normally concern me unless its a daily event. Your maint. window starts about that time so from time to time you will lose this or that service for just a few.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Well most ISP's window to do work on there network comes between 12am-6am. So any problems that happen around that time can be from your isp making some changes. I know when my isp did all the 1ghz upgrades preparing for D3, they did work mostly 2 week nights a week for a few week period. Like ispgeek said, unless this is something that is happening more then a few days, Then I really wouldn't worry about it.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by lilstone87:

Well most ISP's window to do work on there network comes between 12am-6am. So any problems that happen around that time can be from your isp making some changes. I know when my isp did all the 1ghz upgrades preparing for D3, they did work mostly 2 week nights a week for a few week period. Like ispgeek said, unless this is something that is happening more then a few days, Then I really wouldn't worry about it.

I think I said that....LOL!
bighorn1
Premium Member
join:2004-06-19
BD, CA

bighorn1 to BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to BHNtechXpert
Was just an info, not a complaint

shortyd999
join:2008-10-21
Birmingham, AL

shortyd999 to Keiro

to Keiro
They must have been doing maintaine here too. My connection was down after 1am.