how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GaryIQ

join:2011-01-14
Jonesboro, GA

AT&T DSL vs Uverse

I am currently one of the unfortunate people that is experiencing the 5pm - 2am congestion that brings my 6 Mbps connection down to 1.2 Mbps or slower. I have been a Bellsouth customer since 2000 and I have had no problems with the service until now.

The following post outlines the problem that I am currently having.
»[Speed Problem] AT&T DSL speed drops every night

I noticed that Uverse is offered in my area and was wondering if I should look into getting this and dropping my DSL. Would the Uverse experience the same issues or does it run over different equipment? Should I dump AT&T all together and go with Comcast? Right now, I can get Uverse internet for $45 whereas Comcast is around $57.

Canezoid
End of line

join:2001-02-16
Powder Springs, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

No answer for your current problem w/o actually seeing some stats during the times of the issues, but yes there could be something going on that's finicky in the network world. This problem seems to be becoming to coincidental lately, but who knows.

1. Uverse does not run on same equipment as traditional DSL services. Quality of service for it depends on who you ask. You can always sign up and try it if it's avail. I don't have the service here at my home, but it is avail in the neighborhood. I have no intention on changing from what I have now.

2. Should you dump AT&T and go w/ Comcast? Well, that's totally up to you. Most of the answer is in #1.

Don't be afraid to take a dive and try something new, both companies have $ back guarantees nowadays. One way or another, you'll like one or the other better then what you have now as far as internet goes.

Just my 2c. Peace!

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to GaryIQ

My problem with UVERSE is that it is a strictly/only bundled deal. Dropping anything like phone service makes near/zero difference in cost.

I like diversity/variety and not forced to have all eggs in one basket.
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

man00

join:2003-07-25
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to GaryIQ

said by GaryIQ:

I am currently one of the unfortunate people that is experiencing the 5pm - 2am congestion that brings my 6 Mbps connection down to 1.2 Mbps or slower. I have been a Bellsouth customer since 2000 and I have had no problems with the service until now.

The following post outlines the problem that I am currently having.
»[Speed Problem] AT&T DSL speed drops every night

I noticed that Uverse is offered in my area and was wondering if I should look into getting this and dropping my DSL. Would the Uverse experience the same issues or does it run over different equipment? Should I dump AT&T all together and go with Comcast? Right now, I can get Uverse internet for $45 whereas Comcast is around $57.

Guy I work with has Uverse (12mb) package, he said from 7:00pm-11:00pm his speed drops to 4mb..So looks like Uverse isn't so great

WhatNow
Premium
join:2009-05-06
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to GaryIQ

That is the first I have heard of Uverse dropping speeds except the 18meg level. The systems are separate at least through the local CO to the next hop. From that point I can not say yes or no.
If what your friends says is not just very local they have a major network congestion problem that they should be very aware they have. And they should have fixed it already if they care.

man00

join:2003-07-25

He may have the 18mb down...not sure about that

majinsnake

join:2004-03-30
Raleigh, NC

I now have the AT&T Uverse. So far, it is much different than the regular dsl. Everything reporting to the dsl modem/router... tv/phone/dsl.

Whole new router with bunch of settings I gotta get used to.

Downside

My internet went from 6 mbps to 3 mbps to be cheaper.
If any thing fails in router... everything goes down.... tv/phone/dsl.

Upside

1 mbps upload

Only good thing from router that I seen is when setting up ports. I can set up multiple ports over different ranges that seem to have a bigger limit of how many I could set in the old 2wire white dsl modem/router.

I have seen the router drop at 7-8 am eastern on my end. I can only assume they AT&T are checking/testing stuff on their end which drops the internet on my end. Anyway.. this is still all new and i think it will lessen as time progresses. I know this U-Verse started in 2009, but hopefully AT&T will get their act together.

BLSComcast

join:2010-11-11
Barrow, AK
reply to GaryIQ

I thought DSL is independent and it doenst depent on congestion or how many users get on at the same time like cable modem do. (Even when I was on cable modem, my download speed never drop even during prime time.)

Has the technology change?

Is ATT position still the same if there is DSL, they will not do U Verse in the same area?

KennesawMtn

join:2008-12-30
Kennesaw, GA
reply to GaryIQ

I have DSL service and could get U-Verse. So yes there can be both, but you have to be on one or the other, I believe. From what I read they do not want anyone with U-verse keeping their POTS service, they push hard to make you go VOIP with the u-verse.

I do not know if they could or would run u-verse on top of POTS on the same pair of wires (as is done with DSL and POTS), or if they would have to use a second pair of wires to have both U-verse and POTS. Either way, from what I have read, they don't like to do it. Plus, AT&T has publicly stated thy want to kill of POTS switch based phone service ASAP.

dalton4life

join:2003-12-13
Smyrna, GA
reply to GaryIQ

I switched from DSL to Uverse 18mps internet only and kept my POTS line no problem. The Verse service hasn't had any of the speed drop offs during the peak hours like DSL.

paarlberg

join:2000-07-28
Duluth, GA

said by dalton4life:

I switched from DSL to Uverse 18mps internet only and kept my POTS line no problem. The Verse service hasn't had any of the speed drop offs during the peak hours like DSL.

[att=1]

Are you still happy with Uverse? ATT won't give me anything more than 3 megs in Duluth. Using another dsl provider that gives static IP addresses, so I don't really want to change.

woodie

join:2000-09-23
Gulf Breeze, FL
reply to GaryIQ

I switched from AT&T 6.0 DSL to Uverse 12.0 about two weeks ago. So far I am pleased.