Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper to jj28west4

Premium Member

to jj28west4

Re: [Caps] Extreme 105 vs 250 Cap Residential in 2011

The only thing the faster speeds do is get you to the cap faster.You know you can get Netflix DVD /Blueray movies sent to you for a few more dollars a month, problem fixed.
jj28west4
join:2008-02-24
Berlin, CT

jj28west4

Thanks for all the replies. I actually only had to pay an extra $5 a month {$55 to $60} because I was grand fathered in a real nice bundle package no longer offered (or at least I was told). The one small caveat is I am locked in for 1 year.

Hopefully Comcast will reconsider this limit but one arguement I got from Comcast is that the network would get congested as a whole if no limits were imposed.
jaymz668
join:2002-03-21
Bloomington, IN

jaymz668 to Ripper

to Ripper
said by Ripper:

You know you can get Netflix DVD /Blueray movies sent to you for a few more dollars a month, problem fixed.

So instead of watching a TV series over a weekend , you can spend days and weeks waiting for each disk to come in. Really excellent solution!

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

1 recommendation

beachintech to manbeard

Premium Member

to manbeard

Re: Extreme 105 vs 250 Cap Residential in 2011

said by manbeard:

These guys are correct, unfortunately. I posted a thread of my own regarding the ordeal I've gone through trying to get the E105 service and when a tech finally came this morning to "install" it I canceled it because he told me this nugget:

Every E105 user is monitored and the second they hit the 250gb cap they are shut down and under no circumstances re-enabled. This is because in my area (Indianapolis) there are only 11 users and they can do that kind of monitoring. I've been on E50 for almost a year and he stated that the only reason I've not gotten the call is because there are so many E50 users that it's impossible for them to monitor that closely.

Absolutely not true and no where on any internal docs about the package is this established. You were fed a line of crap.

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper to jaymz668

Premium Member

to jaymz668

I get the disks in 1 or 2 days max,they have plans where you can have multiple disks out at once.You could always get DSL also.

manbeard
Premium Member
join:2010-03-01
Indianapolis, IN

manbeard to jj28west4

Premium Member

to jj28west4
OP, keep this updated as you can, I'm curious to see where they go with this cap situation as they push their speed capabilities higher and higher. I don't see them getting much business on them if they stick firm with the cap.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to jj28west4

Premium Member

to jj28west4
There is no one you can contact. You can keep that service which is capped, or you can spend a significant amount more for a business class service that is max half that (I do not believe there is yet a 105 business class tier) but that would support many TB of data a month.

Comcast is unlikely to pre-announce when they will raise the cap. Hopefully they will actually announce if/when they raise the cap.

And yes, I am in agreement with most everyone here that above 22/4, the cap limits the value of the speed. At 12-22mbit speeds its still fairly useful to be faster even if there is an overall limit.

Disclaimer: I am on business 12/2 - and even there rarely exceed 250GB. My link is 93.5% idle.
noisefloor
join:2010-05-09

noisefloor

said by JohnInSJ:

There is no one you can contact. You can keep that service which is capped, or you can spend a significant amount more for a business class service that is max half that (I do not believe there is yet a 105 business class tier) but that would support many TB of data a month.

Yes, comcast offers 100Mb packages for business in more than few markets now. We offer 100/15 biz which is provisioned for 105/15 in reality. He's right on his quote it's around 369 bucks a month.

SpottedCat
join:2004-06-27
Miami, FL

SpottedCat to jj28west4

to jj28west4
Does anyone know WHY they don't just scale the caps up with the speed?

Considering how much more you pay, you should get more out of it. They can put the extra money into upgrading the network to reduce that "congestion" they're so worried about! (which is really a non-issue since they have QoS)

manbeard
Premium Member
Indianapolis, IN

manbeard to beachintech

Premium Member

to beachintech

Re: Extreme 105 vs 250 Cap Residential in 2011

said by beachintech:

Absolutely not true and no where on any internal docs about the package is this established. You were fed a line of crap.

Anymore I'm not surprised, but unfortunately as a consumer my only resource is the person representing the company (aside from the information I can glean from the forum). Sucks that there is no way to ensure what you're being told is legit, but it's what we have to work with.

nlew
@comcast.net

nlew to noisefloor

Anon

to noisefloor

Rather than purchase 100Mb business lines (at $369!!), why not have a standard 12/2 biz line for downloads and unlimited caps, and a 100Mb residential connection for surfing and other speed dependent applications.

Total price is less than a dedicated 100Mb business line.

Does comcast allow both a residential and business line to be installed at the same residence?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to noisefloor

Premium Member

to noisefloor
said by noisefloor:

Yes, comcast offers 100Mb packages for business in more than few markets now. We offer 100/15 biz which is provisioned for 105/15 in reality. He's right on his quote it's around 369 bucks a month.

Good to know - it's not listed on their business internet pages (yet)
JohnInSJ

JohnInSJ to SpottedCat

Premium Member

to SpottedCat
said by SpottedCat:

Considering how much more you pay

How does the cost of residential 105 compare to the $370/mo for business 105?

manbeard
Premium Member
Indianapolis, IN

manbeard to nlew

Premium Member

to nlew
said by nlew :

Rather than purchase 100Mb business lines (at $369!!), why not have a standard 12/2 biz line for downloads and unlimited caps, and a 100Mb residential connection for surfing and other speed dependent applications.

That doesn't really work out... Surfing and gaming doesn't really need a LOT of speed, 12 mbps is more than adequate for surfing and gaming, the speed is needed for downloading. Other than loading game content, your xbox/ps3/pc isn't going to use much when playing a game, at least not enough to warrant over a 12 mbps connection. However, when you're grabbing 1.5-15gb video files, that's another story.

That's really my gripe with the cap on the high-end packages like E50/105, no point in having that capability if you're just going to blow through that cap in a fraction of the time and business class prices are just too high to justify for the advanced consumer who happens to be ahead of the curve and uses their connection for all that streaming/downloading we'll all started doing (netflix, hulu, vudu, google tv, itunes...). A lot of people have already cut the landline cord and the process is already underway to cut the video cord as well. That's why there's all these battles going on, including Netflix & Level3 vs Comcast over network access. It's definitely getting interesting out there.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by manbeard:

the advanced consumer who happens to be ahead of the curve and uses their connection for all that streaming/downloading we'll all started doing (netflix, hulu, vudu, google tv, itunes...).

Well, we've gone around this block several times as well. You can stream 5 hours of HD material a day and stay under the cap. You could argue more than that is still very atypical for the average user. And when it actually does become the average user, the cap will move up (and/or prices will change, or tiered plans will arrive, or the apocalypse will happen.)

Currently Comcast packages/prices on the residential side are all about speed, while on the Business side the significant LEAPs in cost as you move up speed tiers reflect the priced-in expectation of much higher usage associated with the higher speeds. Hence the $300/mo additional cost for 100Mb vs 12 Mb business class. If it were residential, it would cost 2x as much as 12mb, not 5X as much.

manbeard
Premium Member
Indianapolis, IN

manbeard

Premium Member

We need a cool name for the impending bandwidth apocalypse like Snowpocalypse or Snowmageddon.
ualdayan
join:2004-07-17
Antioch, TN

ualdayan to SpottedCat

to SpottedCat
said by SpottedCat:

Does anyone know WHY they don't just scale the caps up with the speed?

Considering how much more you pay, you should get more out of it. They can put the extra money into upgrading the network to reduce that "congestion" they're so worried about! (which is really a non-issue since they have QoS)

Canadian ISP's do that, scale up caps with speed. Problem is you end up with them imposing the higher end of what we have now for the ultra high end packages, and then scaling down from there. For example - the $40 plans up there only give you 25GB a month. The $60 ones gives you up to 75GB, and from there it's something like $2 per GB over that.

If ISPs do start scaling caps along with speed they aren't going to go with 250GB as the base, they're going to put 250GB on the highest end, and screw everybody not on the top end tier. Isn't like we're talking about a high competition industry here.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to manbeard

MVM

to manbeard
said by manbeard:

We need a cool name for the impending bandwidth apocalypse like Snowpocalypse or Snowmageddon.

What's wrong with, "exaflood"?

ssj4android
Redefining Reality
join:2002-04-14
Wyoming, MI

ssj4android to jj28west4

to jj28west4
said by jj28west4:

Gents,
The downside is that services like Netflix, etc that I have now begun to use regularly have caused my usage to jump dramatically as well as my online backup services where I am downloading daily.

What online backup service are you using?
It should only need to transmit only what's changed between now and your last backup.

manbeard
Premium Member
Indianapolis, IN

manbeard to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

What's wrong with, "exaflood"?

It lacks gusto... pizazz... you know, that unique punch that haunts every man, woman and child.

HTG
@comcast.net

HTG

Anon

Agree w/ manbeard... It lacks a certain "visceral" quality