Premium
join:2004-05-28
united state
kudos:1

Network upgrade

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Lately I've been sick of the mess my current network is in. I've decided that I'm going to buy a nice little 12u rack, some rack shelves and mount everything in there. Here are some before pictures.

I figure it will be at least a month before I get everything done.

aeagles247

join:2006-01-21
Keep us up to date with photos a long the way if you do not mind. Thanks

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC
kudos:2
reply to Jameson
Are you liking them Aironet's so far?

I dont know.. I have one and its........ well... Usable... But I can do 10x more with a linksys flashed with DD-WRT or Tomato...
--
They love you, comfort you, use you, fuck you, and leave you. Such is life.

Jameson
Premium
united state
said by DaMaGeINC:

Are you liking them Aironet's so far?

I dont know.. I have one and its........ well... Usable... But I can do 10x more with a linksys flashed with DD-WRT or Tomato...

Yeah, I love it. I have had no issues with it. Much better than the old WRT54G that I was using for wireless.

Dsm1995

join:2010-04-14
San Diego, CA
how easy was it to setup the cisco switch in a home network?
i ask because im sick of having to external switches [ 1 5port and a 8 port netgear ]in my network cause im runing out of ports to use..

i used some 2900's at school for ccna classes but i never thought about it and now i just want one nice 24port for everything

Jason24

join:2004-01-21
Davenport, FL
If you keep just a “flat” network (no management or VLANs) you just need to plug it in like any other switch. If you want to get fancy you can, but it’s by no mean required.

Dsm1995

San Diego, CA
thx JasonG24

JHB
California Dreamin'

join:2002-02-08
California
reply to Jameson
Off topic!

Jameson, you live down the 15 from me. I live in Temecula, off of Winchester and Margarita. Hello neighbor and nice setup!
--
"You don't love a woman because she is beautiful, but she is beautiful because you love her."

Jameson
Premium
united state
said by JHB:

Off topic!

Jameson, you live down the 15 from me. I live in Temecula, off of Winchester and Margarita. Hello neighbor and nice setup!

Nice! I'm in the Temecula area often, usually visiting the BJs or Yard House

ImpetusEra
Premium
join:2004-05-19
reply to Dsm1995
said by Dsm1995:

i ask because im sick of having to external switches [ 1 5port and a 8 port netgear ]in my network cause im runing out of ports to use..

i used some 2900's at school for ccna classes but i never thought about it and now i just want one nice 24port for everything

If you don't anticipate a need for management features or vlans there are regular "dumb" 24-port switches like the Netgear FS524 that can be had for cheap.

Dsm1995

San Diego, CA
hopefully the "dumb" switches arent blonde haha j/k
i found some already thx

Jameson
Premium
united state
reply to Dsm1995
said by Dsm1995:

It's easy. Cisco IOS is nothing more than just understanding what you want to do and learning the syntax of the commands. If you're willing to learn, I recommend you pick a nice 24 port 10/100 switch. Make sure you have a computer with a RS-232 port and a Cisco console cable because the switch you pick up on eBay likely wont have it's password reset and you're going to have to root it.

Jameson

Jameson
Premium
united state

1 recommendation

reply to Jameson
Here is the list of things I have ordered for the upgrade:

20U Rack - »store.roadreadycases.com/dyn_pro···k=418031

4 Rack Shelves - »www.odysseygear.com/odyssey-prod···rs1.html

1 Rack Panel (2 CAT5/6, 1 coax)

Cable Managment - »www.snapav.com/snapav/DetailView···GT-4D-1U

UPS - »www.snapav.com/snapav/DetailView···HTR-1000

16x Patch CAT5e - »www.snapav.com/snapav/DetailView···T-.3-GRY

CAT5e Patch Panel - »www.snapav.com/snapav/DetailView···-PP24-RM

Dsm1995

San Diego, CA
im loving the rack and one that wont hurt my wallet.. thx for the links.. saving that one