uniqs
share rss forum feed

muckmail

join:2011-01-16
Newburgh, IN

Porting a Phone Number to VOIP service for Magic Jack

Magic Jack does not support porting a phone number to it at
this time but I want to port a phone number to a VOIP service
and wait unit magic Jack supports porting. Is there any company I should consider? If nothing else I will port the number to a At&T prepay phone but that cost 9/month with 0.25 cents usage. Is there any VOIP alternatives to this??
Thank you,

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·VOIPO
·Callcentric
·CIKTEL Telecom

2 edits

I suspect you are brand new to the world of VoIP. Before making a decision to port a "treasured" number into MagicJack, consider ...

• MJ will most likely never ever allow inward porting ... it isn't in their plan ... it isn't in their nature. While other VoIP providers are continually adding features, improving service and so on, MJ has yet to live up to its projections and promises for improving the product.

• Have you spent any time looking at the greatly superior VoIP options that are available --- Ooma, CallCentric, VOIPo, VoIP.ms, VoicePulse, PhonePower, Future Nine --- for very reasonable cost, especially if your monthly usage is under 500 minutes.

• Are you aware that your computer must be on 24/7 for the MJ device to be active.

• MJ lacks almost all of the fantastic features that are included in other VoIP providers' plans.

• Did you know that MJ is blocking calls from their customers to a wide area of area code/exchanges throughout the US ... to avoid paying termination charges to other carriers ... so lots of MJ users cannot call their friends and neighbors? »List of Area Codes or areas blocked by Magicjack?

• Since your tiny Rate Center in Newburgh IN is not served by YMAX, you would not be able to port your number into MJ even if MJ began allowing in-porting... because MJ's phone numbers all come from YMAX (a CLEC) which happens to be part of the same corporate structure as MJ. A number cannot be ported into a rate center unless the VoIP provider's CLEC (supplier and controller of DIDs) has a presence in that center. »www.localcallingguide.com/lca_ex···h=059310

• Are you aware that MJ is rated at the bottom of the barrel: »/gbu.

muckmail

Newburgh, IN

Yes I am in the 812 area code and mj does not support it and here is my situtation.

I am was paying 6/month and using the number as a distintive ring secondary number. Now I want
to change my service and the future provider wants an additon 12/mo for a second line.
I was going to port the number to At&t prepay phone at 9.00/mo with .25c usage. I think I could
could do better with some VOIP service since I want to use only for an answering service.

I want a good VOIP and a good price. I am in the US at 812 area code.

I have used my mj for long distance calling and it does ok. It has save me some money because I
don't have to purchase calling cards anymore. I don't like the software setup with
it because it take over my computer every time I turn it on.

I did a request to port from AT&T to an AT&T prepay phone and the port is confirmed on their
webpage even though the number is a secondary distintive ring number.

So what options do I have?

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·VOIPO
·Callcentric
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to muckmail

muckmail ... You have totally confused me!

As I see it, we are not dealing at all with an MJ-provided phone number that you already have, are we? We have already agreed that you can never port a non-MJ number to your MJ account. Yes? So we can keep MJ completely out of the discussion ... to avoid any confusion. And you are not planning on porting the MJ number to another carrier, are you?

You stated "I am was paying 6/month and using the number as a distinctive ring secondary number. Now I want to change my service and the future provider wants an additon [additional] 12/mo for a second line. I was going to port the number to At&t prepay phone..."

The above paragraph makes no sense. You say "using the number" ... but we have no idea what number you are referring to. You go on to state "I want to change my service and the future provider wants an additon [additional] 12/mo for a second line."
What service are you changing and why bother mentioning the "future provider" or a "second line" ... when you have never mention a future provider by name ... not that it seems to matter at this point.

Forgive me if I seem to be picking on you ... but your posting style makes it difficult to understand your "true" quest. So, let me see if I can deduce what you are trying to accomplish.

• I think you are talking about porting out an ATT landline number ... ignoring your description of "a distinctive ring secondary number" which is not relevant here.

• It seems you are looking to use this ATT number exclusively for incoming calls to VoiceMail ... unless you actually meant what you said in stating "I want to use only for an answering service."

If I am correct, then there are a variety of choices of VoIP providers that can port in your ATT number ... but your ultimate choice of provider will depend on several factors. Please read through one of my posts from 2009 that deals with choosing a VoIP provider: »Re: What do you think is the best VOIP service?

• Since you are looking to port your ATT number to a VoIP provider, you will not be able to take advantage of some of the "free" incoming services such as IPKall or WhistlePhone or SipGate. They don't accept ported numbers.

• Since your anticipated usage will likely involve very low monthly incoming minutes and even less, if any, outgoing minutes, you should look only at providers with PAYG (Pay-as-you-Go) plans rather than fixed monthly or annual "unlimited" plans.

• As I recall, all PAYG providers require that you supply your own adapter (BYOD = Bring Your Own Device) ... so you will need to purchase an adapter (ATA) such as a PAP2T-NA or Grandstream. And you will need to enter some set-up information into the device via a URL that accesses the ATA.

• Because BYOD accounts do not usually generate major income for these providers, they charge a one-time porting fee (usually around $25) ... but if you keep the service for five years that works out to be about 19 cents per week.

• The provider you choose must have a CLEC (the company that supplies them with phone numbers) that has a presence in the Newburgh IN rate center. Fortunately, your rate center is served by Bandwidth.com and Level 3 Communications (both CLECs) ... most VoIP providers can provide service in Newburgh.

The two services that fit these requirements are Voip.ms and CallCentric ... both of which are excellent providers, rated highly by our seasoned BBR Members: »/gbu.

Read and re-read this lengthy post ... and feel free to come back with a question or two ... but keep the questions short, basic, and on point.

muckmail

Newburgh, IN

I looked at Callcentric pay per min plan and it seems like a possibility. I am confused with Voip.ms. It said "USA 48 @ 1.05¢ per minute ($0.0105)". Is that 1.05 per min if a call is in the US? What is the minimum for their account? I will not be using the voice box very
much.
Thank you,

muckmailer

@sbcglobal.net

Issue gets more complex.
ATT charges 36 dollars to port the number a prepay phone and
WOW only charges 12/month to keep it as a second line. So putting it on a prepay phone vers keeping it as a second land line
is a break even situation. I am a little afraid to port the secondary
land line to Callcentric for 25.00 because I am afraid it will cancel my current home service with my primary number. I do not want to
do that.
Any suggestions on the best way to go. I need to have continous service at my home.
Thank you,

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·VOIPO
·Callcentric
·CIKTEL Telecom

1 edit

Pay-as-you-Go (PAYGo) Accounts
Requires a one-time purchase of an ATA (adapter) such as a PAP2T-NA, average cost about $50 ... allows use with two separate providers/phone numbers on Line 1 and Line 2.

Voip.ms
One-time $25 porting fee
99 cents per Month
$1.50 per Month for E911
1 cent per Minute for any incoming call (people calling your number from anywhere)
1.05 cents (that's just over a penny) per Minute for each outgoing call (calls you make to the US & Canada).

Billing is in 6 second increments.

If you average 500 minutes per month (total incoming/outgoing), you are talking about $7.49 per month total (with no additional taxes or fees).

CallCentric
One-time $25 porting fee
$1.95 per Month
$1.50 per Month for E911
1.5 cent per Minute for any incoming call (people calling you number)
1.98 cents (that's just under two cents) per Minute for each outgoing call (calls you make to the US & Canada).

Billing is in x 60 second increments.

If you average 500 minutes per month (total incoming/outgoing), you are talking about $12.15 per month total (with no additional taxes or fees).

-=-=-=-=

Given the outrageous amount you would pay ATT Mobile or other cellular provider (e.g., T-Mobile) to hold your number, the savings you would realize with a VoIP provider would easily pay for the adapter and porting costs in short order.

-=-=-=-=

Porting your second ATT number to a VoIP provider will not result in a cancelled ATT account. Once the port is successful ... and you are receiving calls correctly on your VoIP adapter ... you can call ATT and simply inform them you have ported out the second number but you wish to maintain the primary account number.

With VoIP accounts, you can begin making outgoing calls immediately on sign-up, before a port is completed. But make sure you are receiving incoming calls on your adapter before cancelling the number with ATT, thereby insuring that the port is successful.

Iscream
Premium
join:2009-02-17
New York, NY
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

A small correction, doc... As sad as it could sound, but Callcentric's billing increment is one whole minute and not 6 seconds. On a sweet side - CNAM (incoming caller-ID with name and call-waiting with name) is included for free. That doesn't change the logic of the math by itself, but the total should still be $12.15, unless I'm mistaken

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·VOIPO
·Callcentric
·CIKTEL Telecom

1 recommendation

said by Iscream:

A small correction, doc... As sad as it could sound, but Callcentric's billing increment is one whole minute and not 6 seconds. On a sweet side - CNAM (incoming caller-ID with name and call-waiting with name) is included for free. That doesn't change the logic of the math by itself, but the total should still be $12.15, unless I'm mistaken

Hmmmm! Apparently Iscream (a representative of CallCentric and upstanding citizen of VoipLand) adheres to the axiom "Honesty is the best policy."

Maybe CC should consider sending out 1-minute egg timers to each new sign-up ... so when making calls, the customer can continue talking right up to the last grain of sand passing into the lower chamber, thereby taking full advantage of the 1-minute billing.

muckmailer

@insightbb.com

Since this is a voice box only, I would figure less than 100 min per month. I guess they have a way to limit voice message lengths.
Do these services use autopay by credit cards?
Thank you,

muckmailer

@insightbb.com

The problem with telling At&t that I have a second number is the
can't get anything right. Every time I call I get a different story on what I can do. So I am unsure the that they may disconnect
service when I port that second number. I hope not.
Thank you,

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·VOIPO
·Callcentric
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to muckmailer

said by muckmailer :

Since this is a voice box only, I would figure less than 100 min per month. I guess they have a way to limit voice message lengths.
Do these services use autopay by credit cards?
Thank you,

Voip.ms does not have AutoPay ... but they have a "Low Balance" alert email that you can set (for example, when you reach $6 or less) ... an email is sent to you. Voip.ms does not store your credit card information.

CallCentric does have AutoPay, once again permitting you to set the threshold below which they charge your credit card the amount you have entered into a set-up page. You are notified by email each a time a charge is applied to your credit card on file.
Expand your moderator at work

muckmailer

@sbcglobal.net
reply to N9MD

Re: Porting a Phone Number to VOIP service for Magic Jack

If I wanted to port the number to a non VOIP or computer device, what service would be a good candidate? The cheapest thing I can think of is an AT&T prepay phone at $27 every 3 months.

If I went with VIOP, could I get by without ATA adapter if I use
a softphone software. Can messages be forward to an another
number with Callcentric or VOIP.ms

Thank you,

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·VOIPO
·Callcentric
·CIKTEL Telecom

said by muckmailer :

If I wanted to port the number to a non VOIP or computer device, what service would be a good candidate? The cheapest thing I can think of is an AT&T prepay phone at $27 every 3 months.

If I went with VIOP, could I get by without ATA adapter if I use
a softphone software. Can messages be forward to an another
number with Callcentric or VOIP.ms

Thank you,

The word in the Forums is that T-Mobile offers the least expensive option for "parking" a number.

Both Voip.ms and CallCentric work very nicely with the various softphone products ... but that might require you to keep your computer on when you are expecting and making calls. Also, part of the feature set of almost all VoIP providers is the ability to forward incoming calls to another phone number. However, you will be incur per minute charges for the incoming call to your Voip.ms or CC number and per minute charges for the outgoing call to the forwarded destination.

As an example, I have a home in New Jersey and a 2nd home in Florida. I have one ATT Cell Phone with a NJ phone number ... and I have a Boca Raton, Florida number with VoIP.ms that is permanently forwarded to my NJ Cell number. This allows my friends and family in Florida to dial a local a Boca Raton number which will always ring my NJ cell phone, no matter where in the world I am at the time.

Iscream
Premium
join:2009-02-17
New York, NY
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

I'm sorry again, doc )

Incoming calls to Dirt Cheap, Residential Unlimited, Office Unlimited and Service Provider DIDs do NOT incur per minute charges on incoming calls. Only the Pay Per Minute DID does incur the per minute charge (as its name suggests). Therefore, if one anticipates more than 200 incoming minutes per month - it becomes more economical to use the Residential Unlimited... If you consider a free CNAM which accompanies all Callcentric DIDs - it adds additional $1 or more compared to competing offers on just 100 * two minute calls a month.

Outbound calls, on another hand, all incur per minute charges without regard to what plan is used, when forwarded to PSTN.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·VOIPO
·Callcentric
·CIKTEL Telecom

1 recommendation

said by Iscream:

I'm sorry again, doc )

Incoming calls to Dirt Cheap, Residential Unlimited, Office Unlimited and Service Provider DIDs do NOT incur per minute charges on incoming calls. Only the Pay Per Minute DID does incur the per minute charge (as its name suggests)....

... Outbound calls, on another hand, all incur per minute charges without regard to what plan is used, when forwarded to PSTN.

True, Iscream.

However, my comment was meant to reflect my perception that the OP would do best with PAYG account ... since he stated in the opening post "I want to port a phone number to a VOIP service" --- and in the next post "I am was paying 6/month and using the number as a distinctive ring secondary number."

Thus, my assumptions were: (1) He couldn't port his number to a Dirt Cheap account and (2) He's looking for a low-usage number.

Of course, one should never "assume"!

muckmailer

@insightbb.com

So does Voip.ms and CallCentric require that I keep my computer & Equipment in order to take messages? Its not like mj where wave files are sent to e-mail?

Where do I find out what opiton with T-Mobile mentioned above.
Is there a web page.
Thank you,

muckmailer

@insightbb.com

Sorry for the bad English.

So does Voip.ms and CallCentric require me to keep my computer & equipment on in order to take messages? Its not like mj where wave files are sent to my e-mail?

Where do I find out what opiton with T-Mobile mentioned above.
Is there a web page?
Thank you,

muckmailer

@sbcglobal.net

So I could port a At&t phone moble number to T-moble phone.
I looked at the prepayed plans. They did not say if I could roll over the minutes. I noticed that they had autopay.
Thank you

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·VOIPO
·Callcentric
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to muckmailer

said by muckmailer :

(1) So does Voip.ms and CallCentric require that I keep my computer & Equipment [on]?

(2) [Must] I keep my computer & Equipment [on] in order to take messages? Its not like mj where wave files are sent to e-mail?

(3) Where do I find out what option with T-Mobile mentioned above. Is there a web page.

(4) So I could port a At&t phone mobile number to T-mobile phone.

Answers

(1) There is no need to keep your computer on to use either service. The computer would only be needed if you want to review or make changes to your account on each provider's website -- or -- if you wish to make changes on your ATA's (adapter) settings.

(2) No! Messages can be sent as attachments to your designated email address ... or picked up on your provider's webpage when you sign in ... or retrieved remotely by telephone.

(3) Just maybe you can do a little of your own research since this is a VoIP forum, not cellular. Googling "T-Mobile Features" will yield lots of good stuff.

(4) Where have you been living ... on the moon? Porting between cellular providers has been going on for years ... is the easiest thing to accomplish ... and the port is usually completed within a few hours (or at most by the end of the next day).