how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01

Replacing netopia 3346n

Being all of you familiar with Netopia line up i thought this would be better place to ask this question. I am looking to replace netopia 3346n router with someone that is capable of doing Gigabit Ethernet (1000BT). Having vpn capability would also be nice. Can someone recommend something from Netopia line up?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Gig is only an issue on your LAN. Internet connection is much slower. If you need Gig just get a Gig Ethernet switch and connect it to the router.

/tom

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01
said by tschmidt:

Gig is only an issue on your LAN. Internet connection is much slower. If you need Gig just get a Gig Ethernet switch and connect it to the router.

/tom

Yes i need it for lan. If i get a gig ethernet switch and connect to the router would i not be still limited to router max?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
said by silentlooker:

If i get a gig ethernet switch and connect to the router would i not be still limited to router max?

The slowest link determines the speed.

LAN traffic, with the exception of DHCP, does not use the router so it does not determine speed. To prove it to yourself you could do an experiment. Plug the PCs into and Ethernet switch and the switch in turn to the router. Turn off the router PC to PC traffic will work just fine.

WAN traffic speed will be determined by the router, or more precisely the speed of your ISP connection since that is typically much slower then what the router is capable of.

/tom