how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bluedyedvd

join:2007-04-15
Overland Park, KS

[Caps] what is the real world cap for comcast today

I am moving in a comcast market I have been reading on forums that comcast doesn't strictly enforce the cap. Overtime comcast has been rising the lever before they contact a user I have heard you have to consistently go above 500 gb before they will say anything with DOCSIS 3 in most markets what is the cap today?

jaymz668

join:2002-03-21
Bloomington, IN

The cap is 250GB. I got the call after my first time going over the cap, at 495GB

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to bluedyedvd

There's only been one month in the past 12 where I came in under 250GB, but I have not received "the call" yet. Ultimately, there's no way to know just how far you can push the limit before they notice because every market is different. Some people can do 800GB a month, some people can only do 251.

From what I've noticed, though, the absolute maximum they will tolerate seems to be around 1TB. YMMV.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to bluedyedvd

I've been exceeding the limit for about 6 months now...not a peep from Comcast.

CT3s

join:2009-10-05
Barrington, IL
reply to bluedyedvd

From everything I've seen it really does vary. I've always been under 250. I went over once 266GB and I received the call. It was truly lame after I see everyone on here consistently go over. My only guess as to why I got the call for a measly 16GB is because I am an employee.

bluedyedvd

join:2007-04-15
Overland Park, KS

said by CT3s:

From everything I've seen it really does vary. I've always been under 250. I went over once 266GB and I received the call. It was truly lame after I see everyone on here consistently go over. My only guess as to why I got the call for a measly 16GB is because I am an employee.

if you are paying for the service thats one thing but if you get free access because your a employee like twc does that makes since they are not making money off of you

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to CT3s

said by CT3s:

You work for the company and you don't understand how their network management works?

»networkmanagement.comcast.net

You have to exceed the cap, and be causing a problem for other users on your node / be on a node that's congested in the first place. Read into some more detail. Has nothing to do with you being an employee. The CMTS has no idea you work for the company.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

jaymz668

Bloomington, IN

said by beachintech:

You have to exceed the cap, and be causing a problem for other users on your node / be on a node that's congested in the first place. Read into some more detail. Has nothing to do with you being an employee. The CMTS has no idea you work for the company.

is there any way to tell if you are on a congested node?

beachintech
Premium

said by jaymz668:

said by beachintech:

No, which is why you should just expect that you could be, and keep your traffic under the limits.

If you can't, buy a package that allows this (business/commercial) - /thread/discussion/anyothertopiconthis. It's an easy concept to understand. Some people get it faster than others.
--
Tech at the Beach.

CT3s

join:2009-10-05
Barrington, IL
reply to beachintech

I know how network management works. The point I was making is that I may have gotten called for going 16GB over because I am an employee, saying they would watch my usage more closely than say john smith that lives over on 123 fake st.

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
join:2009-09-07
Great White
kudos:2

said by CT3s:

I know how network management works. The point I was making is that I may have gotten called for going 16GB over because I am an employee, saying they would watch my usage more closely than say john smith that lives over on 123 fake st.

Nah again, the CMTS don't have your employee number, and the alternative is even too much work for Comcast... and usually a good way to piss of NOC
--
If Tier II had there way.... a full node outage would be 3 people....
»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »How To Get Help!

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to jaymz668

said by jaymz668:

Go over the cap and get a call. Pretty much that means yes.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

beachintech
Premium
reply to CT3s

said by CT3s:

No, they don't. The only system that knows you are an employee, is billing. To the CMTS and network, you are just another user.
--
Tech at the Beach.

Augustus III
If Only Rome Could See Us Now....

join:2001-01-25
Gainesville, GA
reply to bluedyedvd

It varies so much there is no real answer. Remember, they review the flag before calling you, so a human does authorize some low level clerk with nothing better to do to yell at you over the phone.

For instance i put your local .edu pipe to shame last month and not a peep, however im actually in the 100-200gb range with spikes that come every few months. And when i say spikes, i mean mt everest.

Also time of day usage can also play a role. If you are saturating your pipe when there is nobody else on the node, it's not as "naughty" as if you are doing it when other people are trying to get their itunes or whatever after coming in from work

Further, by market they also factor in what are your options other than them. TBH they don't want to kick you off but intimidate you into submission, esp if you don't have another provider to jump to.

It's really a lot of things as you can see. That's why some people get no issues and others are literally hassled for every byte

Tordek
Make the outages go away
Premium
join:2009-09-07
Great White

said by Augustus III:

It varies so much there is no real answer. Remember, they review the flag before calling you, so a human does authorize some low level clerk with nothing better to do to yell at you over the phone.

For instance i put your local .edu pipe to shame last month and not a peep, however im actually in the 100-200gb range with spikes that come every few months. And when i say spikes, i mean mt everest.

Also time of day usage can also play a role. If you are saturating your pipe when there is nobody else on the node, it's not as "naughty" as if you are doing it when other people are trying to get their itunes or whatever after coming in from work

Further, by market they also factor in what are your options other than them. TBH they don't want to kick you off but intimidate you into submission, esp if you don't have another provider to jump to.

It's really a lot of things as you can see. That's why some people get no issues and others are literally hassled for every byte

• Nodes don't care about "active" users or not... if your saturating the segment at 12 at night or 5 in the evening it does not matter.

• Nodes are dumb they only do E-O conversions and nothing more (Slight bit of talkback for health but thats it)

• It's the CMTS which monitors the segment (channels) and again, it does not care about time of day (As a matter of fact, your more likely to be put into BE off of peak times then on because you will stand out more)

• The Congestion management system will reference offenders with those being persistantly placed into BE... if so your getting a phone call.. If your on a congested node... your getting a phone call.. If your top dog on your node... your getting a phone call...
SAFE TO ASSUME that if you exceed your cap... your getting a phone call

• Moral of the story: The Caps are well documented and posted. The Caps state 250GB for residential service (IMHO ample) If you don't want to get a phone call, limit your usage, play by the rules or find another means of service (Business etc) Don't ask how far i can push the caps etc... It's policy... deal with it there are always alternatives (Dialup is still available everywhere isn't it?)
--
If Tier II had there way.... a full node outage would be 3 people....
»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »How To Get Help!

jaymz668

Bloomington, IN

1 edit

said by Tordek:

• if so your getting a phone call.. If your on a congested node... your getting a phone call.. If your top dog on your node... your getting a phone call...

you're. you're. you're.

I'm so glad your opinion is that the cap is ample, when obviously it isn't for everyone.

beachintech
Premium

said by jaymz668:

said by Tordek:

• if so your getting a phone call.. If your on a congested node... your getting a phone call.. If your top dog on your node... your getting a phone call...

you're. you're. you're.

I'm so glad you're opinion is that the cap is ample, when obviously it isn't for everyone.

So switch plans or providers. It's pretty clear when you start the service what the rules are.
--
Tech at the Beach.

jaymz668

Bloomington, IN

There was no cap when I started the service.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

said by jaymz668:

There was no cap when I started the service.

There was always a cap, Comcast just didn't tell you what it was.

jaymz668

Bloomington, IN

This service was not always provided by comcast. Up until mid 2008 we were Insight Broadband.

And boy has customer service gone downhill since then...

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

said by jaymz668:

This service was not always provided by comcast. Up until mid 2008 we were Insight Broadband.

»Insight Invisible Caps

And yet, they too seemed to have SOME breaking point.
--

data129

join:2007-07-04
Canton, MI
reply to Tordek

Nicely put Tordek.

Expand your moderator at work

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI

2 recommendations

reply to bluedyedvd

Re: [Caps] what is the real world cap for comcast today

The 250 GB cap issue has been beaten to death ad nauseum. It is what it is. One either needs to stay within it or take their chances on going over it. Simple as that.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit
reply to CT3s

I will disagree with everyone else. When they decide who to call they know you work for them. The rate codes in your account clearly say employee rates. Im guessing at that point you get the call no matter what.

jaymz668

Bloomington, IN
reply to jaynick

said by jaynick:

The 250 GB cap issue has been beaten to death ad nauseum. It is what it is. One either needs to stay within it or take their chances on going over it. Simple as that.

That's fine. More and more people will be hitting it as they use more services, so the topic will continue to be brought up, again and again.

fred333

@sprintbbd.net
reply to jaymz668

said by jaymz668:

said by Tordek:

you're. you're. you're.

I'm so glad your opinion is that the cap is ample, when obviously it isn't for everyone.

well, you signed up for a 250 GB plan so if that ain't enough get the next plan up....seems pretty simple....not a lot to complain about...

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

reply to jaymz668

said by jaymz668:

said by jaynick:

That's fine. More and more people will be hitting it as they use more services, so the topic will continue to be brought up, again and again.

They'll move the bar up to skim the 1 in 100 top users over time. That they have not needed to move the bar yet tells you it's still easy for 99 out of 100 people to get under it.
--

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by JohnInSJ:

said by jaymz668:

said by jaynick:

They'll move the bar up to skim the 1 in 100 top users over time. That they have not needed to move the bar yet tells you it's still easy for 99 out of 100 people to get under it.

I was about to reply but you stated it much better.
--
jimmy
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" (Edmund Burke)

DJboutit

join:2009-12-10
Houston, TX

I have gone over 8 to 15 gb a few times & no call they just slow down my connect to like 28.8 speed which is truly lame a hell. Now that Nextflix is getting rid of dvds & will only do streaming movies Crapcast really needs to increase the cap to like 450gb