spc
Search similar:

uniqs
prisaz
join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD

prisaz

FiOS No Longer Offers a SD STB

Verizon did this with no notice or announced plan for reduced price on the HD STBs. In a chat with sales it was NO SD STB! $9.99 for a box unless you wish to pay for their Home Media DVR and get a hardware bundle. The days of a $5 STB are gone, unless all you want is a digital adapter. One way to make the HD Guide work across platforms. Get rid of one.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

I was waiting for someone to post about this... it's not the end of the world.

Had heard this was coming...

The 2500's just aren't powerful enough to handle the future of IMG builds.
tennisman94
join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94 to prisaz

to prisaz
Good news: Less painful if they try to switch some sources to MPEG 4
Bad News: As stated, no $5 box sans home media DVR.

The hardware bundle is really a pretty good deal, switching an HD box for an SD box would have a net effect of + or - 1 cent
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to prisaz

Premium Member

to prisaz
I'd heard this was coming, too. Per one guy on another forum who does FiOS installs. He said it was coming... but I didn't expect it to happen this soon.

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards to tennisman94

to tennisman94
said by tennisman94:

The hardware bundle is really a pretty good deal, switching an HD box for an SD box would have a net effect of + or - 1 cent
(emphasis added)

Not true for all cases. Still paying $12.99 for an HD DVR (grandfathered price w/o home media from 4 years ago).
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

said by keyboards:

Still paying $12.99 for an HD DVR (grandfathered price w/o home media from 4 years ago).

I've got two of those. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I re-up with a new package (e.g. I just went from Extreme to Ultimate a couple of months ago) that they don't try to adjust those fees.
prisaz
Germantown, MD

prisaz to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Yea that is fine and dandy if you like their DVR. I have had a TiVO for more than a year and if I get rid of the VZ HMDVR it will cost me $30 for three HD boxes. Thanks Verizon$$ Offer an SD box or drop the price for all HD STBs to $5.99 like it had been in NY! I do not need 3 STBs fighting over a two tuner DVR that can not support it's own schedules let alone three other users. Verizon's solution is Multi-Hub. Rent two $20 DVRs. No thanks. I would rather have my two Tivos at $9.99 each and two SD boxes. No Joy!

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

1 recommendation

Onedollar

New STB package was also released with this sd stb removal.

2 HD STBS -15.99
3 HD STBS - 21.99
4 - 26.99
5 - 31.99
6 - 35.99
7-39.99
prisaz
Germantown, MD

prisaz to keyboards

to keyboards
said by keyboards:

said by tennisman94:

(emphasis added)

Not true for all cases. Still paying $12.99 for an HD DVR (grandfathered price w/o home media from 4 years ago).

Hi keyboards. I guess the VZ mods and admins can not complain about my posts over here. Yea I had that $12.99 deal too, until about 15 a year and a half ago someone switched me to HMDVR when all I asked for was the "FREE" remote access to be enabled. I made them take the feature off, and was told sorry we can not give you that price back. I was given $5 a month for a year. I am not please that the cheapest box with a quide has gone up to $10. I wanted to take MY HMDVR back with the HD Boxes and buy another TiVO. Now only option is a digital adapter with no guide for my two SD TVs. I wonder what deal they will do for 2500 users. Heard the HMDVR bundle deal was over. Read it somewhere in a thread.
prisaz

prisaz to Onedollar

to Onedollar
said by Onedollar:

New STB package was also released with this sd stb removal.

2 HD STBS -15.99
3 HD STBS - 21.99
4 - 26.99
5 - 31.99
6 - 35.99
7-39.99

Was not released very well! The online sale CSR as usual was completely ignorant of this fact. Any place or link that this is published? This is almost as well kept secret as the MRDVR deal.
So what you are saying if I send my HMDVR back I will only have to pay $21.99 for three HD boxes with no HMDVR? Now at $7.33 a box that does not sound to bad. But I would like to see that documented or announced publicly by Verizon.
CrobertGauth
join:2007-12-15
Glen Burnie, MD

CrobertGauth to prisaz

to prisaz
I just upgraded this week w/ HMDVR bundle. Went from 1 DVR, 1 HD and 2 SD to HMDVR and 3 HD for $3 more a month. Plus get HMDVR free for 3 months.
And HD STB works fine w/ SD tv. Still has rf out as well as composite. Can even get HD channels.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to prisaz

Premium Member

to prisaz
You can sign in to your Verizon account online and navigate to "My Verizon Services". From there you should be able to see a link to "Add/Return Equipment" under the section for FiOS TV - Account Actions.

If you select 2 units or more from the "Set Top Box" drop down menu, you will see the prices listed above by Onedollar See Profile, along with the following message:

"Congratulations! Based on your equipment selections of Set Top Boxes, you qualify for the equipment package savings. Please see your order summary for your equipment package savings."

Onedollar
Pomona, CA

Onedollar to CrobertGauth

to CrobertGauth
For those who want HMDVR package -

HMDVR - 2 Room = 27.99
3 room 33.99
4- 38.99
5 - 43.99
6- 47.99

If in NY/CT/NJ
2- 24.99
3- 29.99
4- 34.99
5- 39.99
6- 43.99
nh5
join:2006-01-21
Old Bethpage, NY

nh5

Now we just need verizon to get rid of all the SD channels that have HD duplicates and we'll be set.
prisaz
Germantown, MD

prisaz to CrobertGauth

to CrobertGauth
said by CrobertGauth:

I just upgraded this week w/ HMDVR bundle. Went from 1 DVR, 1 HD and 2 SD to HMDVR and 3 HD for $3 more a month. Plus get HMDVR free for 3 months.
And HD STB works fine w/ SD tv. Still has rf out as well as composite. Can even get HD channels.

I went from TiVO, 1 HDSTB and 2 SDSTBs, to 1 DVR 3 HDSTBs and wanted to keep my TiVO and now thinking of sending the DVR back. That is what had me so torqued. But at $21.99 for three HD boxes it is not quite as bad. But there are two SD sets where I really don't need HD.
tennisman94
join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94 to nh5

to nh5
said by nh5:

Now we just need verizon to get rid of all the SD channels that have HD duplicates and we'll be set.

They would have to axe the digital adapters for that to be possible.

Vamp9190
Premium Member
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA

Vamp9190 to prisaz

Premium Member

to prisaz
I still have a 2500 for $4.99, I wonder if it will work with 1.9 the way people are talking.

I was trying to see if I could do a package with the HMDVR deal, but I need 1 HM DVR, 1 HD box, 1 more HD DVR and I would swap the SD box for a HD box....I think that because I want a second DVR and not just a HD box I do not really get a discount....

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

said by Vamp9190:

I still have a 2500 for $4.99, I wonder if it will work with 1.9 the way people are talking.

Yes it will work on a 2500, but it really has some lag when you try to do almost anything but change channels.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to prisaz

to prisaz
So, how does one get the package savings if they already have the equipment? I'm assuming it should be as simple as a call to Verizon to ask for it?

JayMan 007
join:2005-07-18
Richmond, VA

JayMan 007 to Onedollar

to Onedollar
said by Onedollar:

For those who want HMDVR package -

HMDVR - 2 Room = 27.99
3 room 33.99
4- 38.99
5 - 43.99
6- 47.99

Is "HMDVR - 2 room" = a total of 3 STB? - 1 HMDVR & 2 HDSTB's?

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

It's 2 boxes. HMDVR at $19.99 + HD box at $9.99=$29.98, so you save $2

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949 to prisaz

Premium Member

to prisaz
I currently have 2 HD STBs plus an HD HMDVR. I have a two year price guarantee until 11/11, but I am not under contract (expired 11/10).

Any guesses what I can expect when I call for the price differences?

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

These prices are for new boxes leased after January 17th. I doubt anyone will get a break on something they already have.

JayMan 007
Richmond, VA

JayMan 007

said by matcarl:

These prices are for new boxes leased after January 17th. I doubt anyone will get a break on something they already have.

So, I have a MRDVR, HD-STB & SD-STB,
If I switch out the SD-STB for a 2nd HD-STB, it should be 33.99?

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

You'll have to call to find out, let us know.

Onedollar
Pomona, CA

Onedollar to JayMan 007

to JayMan 007
said by JayMan 007:

said by matcarl:

Yes should be 33.99. The structure/description is based on # of rooms.

JayMan 007
Richmond, VA

JayMan 007

said by Onedollar:

said by JayMan 007:

said by matcarl:

Yes should be 33.99. The structure/description is based on # of rooms.

Confirmed...just called. No change.
I can pick up the HD STB in about an hour.
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

said by JayMan 007:

What do you mean by no change?

JayMan 007
Richmond, VA

JayMan 007

said by kes601:

said by JayMan 007:

What do you mean by no change?

No change in the price to exchange the SD-STB for the HD-STB. (MR-DVR - 3 room)
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Gotcha. I may call and see if they will bundle what I have -- 2 HD STBs, plus MRDVR.