Steve B
Premium
join:2004-08-02
Auburn, WA
reply to Network Guy

Re: Guess I need to make sure I don't break my Android

said by Network Guy:

quote:
· Instead of limits and overage charges on data plans for wireless phones as competitors have done, Sprint is applying its $10 Premium Data add-on charge to all smartphone activations beginning Jan. 30, 2011.
· Existing Sprint smartphone customers are not affected unless they upgrade to or activate another smartphone.

That's still some bullshit though. Makes me want to hack my phone so I can tether on it. Sprint disabled this feature on my handset in favor of their optional $30 Wifi hotspot option.

And it begs the question.. If the original phone plan states "unlimited text, web and email included" and now they're slapping this bullshit fee, doesn't this constitute a change of contract terms? Wouldn't this mean people didn't get the option to opt-out?

I smell class action suit.

Current contracts are grandfathered. It will change with a new line and upgrades.

gergles
Greg
Premium
join:2003-05-30
New York, NY
said by Steve B:

Current contracts are grandfathered. It will change with a new line and upgrades.

No, it will change as soon as you try to ESN swap. If you keep multiple phones around and swap between them, your plan will now cost $10 a month more once you swap back to a smartphone after Feb 1.

TheRogueX

join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO
So.. um.. why would you do that?