This is a sub-selection from Lol...
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs to jmn1207

to jmn1207

Re: Lol...

said by jmn1207:

On the west side of the building, I get no 4G signal unless I am right next to the windows, where on the east side I normally see 1-2 (out of 3) bars.

And at those times when you only get 4G when next to the window, how is your 4G performance? Does it connect and disconnect repeatedly but with normal speeds when connected? Or is it a stable connection but with slow speeds?

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

I only tested my signal in various spots and did a quick speed test on the other side of the building. Where my office is located, I get a very stable, fast connection. Although fast is relative, I suppose. I've rarely seen my speeds dip below 3000 kbps, and I've seen consistent speed test results over 8000 kbps on some test servers. A good AT&T or TMO signal will see higher results at times, but I haven't found anything nearly as consistent throughout the day.
criggs
join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

criggs

said by jmn1207:

I only tested my signal in various spots and did a quick speed test on the other side of the building. Where my office is located, I get a very stable, fast connection.

Well, when I got to that area where outdoor was available and indoor wasn't, I was indoors, as I expected, and tried to connect.

What happened was that the modem went crazy. It kept switching between Searching for Networks and No Networks Found. It never even got close to connecting. Perhaps that is typical behavior when one is an outdoor only 4G coverage area and one isn't outdoors.

What was more disturbing and surprising was what happened when I got back to my apartment, this rock-steady and fast 4G connection that I've had since November 8th. It looks like the modem has been either permanently or temporarily traumatized by the experience in the outdoor area. It's taking forever to connect, the download speeds sometimes drop from 10 mbps to 4 mbps right in front of my eyes over a 1- to 2-minute period, I had the connection actually drop on me an hour after I started using it, and once it even said it had connected but I couldn't get any connectivity. Really weird.

Could the modem have gotten screwed up by some information it collected at that other outdoor only coverage area? Is it conceivable that a tower can be configured in such a manner that it can screw up a modem's subsequent ability to connect even to towers with which it has previously had no problems?
« Unreal...Just Remember »
This is a sub-selection from Lol...