Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

AOL 9.6, and Windows 7 64 bit

I have a friend that still has the AOL addiction. His computer had all kinds of issues. Maybe a virus as well. We decided to do a full wipe and reload. It's an HP, so we did the built in F11 system restore back to factory. Everything is working great now, except one thing, AOL. I tried to install the latest 9.6 version. It goes through the process all the way to where it's looking for a way to connect. It's the screen titled "Helping you connect" the little spiny thing goes round and round, but never stops. Hours go by, and it never stops. If you cancel it, AOL closes. Then the next time you open it, it says that some files needs to be installed, and then it wants to reboot. After reboot, it does the same thing, reboot again, and again. It doesn't get anywhere. I tried completely removing AOL, and I tried to install the 9.5 version. It seems to have the same issue. It doesn't work either.

This guy has Comcast Internet, and I'd love for him to just stop using AOL. But Aol is the Internet to him, and not using that interface in simply not an option. uuuggg!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

Ronnie_USA
Premium
join:2003-10-09
Morehead, KY
kudos:5

January 18 - Software Update to AOL Desktop 9.6

Testers,

Starting today, an automatic update will be sent to AOL Desktop 9.6 to resolve an issue that was discovered based on your reports and experiences.

This update is being delivered to 4340.111 (public GM), 4340.112 (GM release for testers) and 4340.128 (public GM) and will change these client versions to 4340.5000, 4340.6001, 4340.5001 respectively.

This update delivers an important fix to users who have experience hangs/freezes due to a conflict with a third party browser plug-in.

When presented with the opportunity to update, whether you believe you need it or not, please do so as soon as possible so we can ensure your experience is the best it can be!

For more information, please visit the support AOL Help article about update 4550. »beta.aol.com/projects.php?projec···esktop96

There seems to be a fix for the problem.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

I don't see any info on the problem I was describing. Are you suggesting that I install the beta version, since the official release seems unstable?

Ronnie_USA
Premium
join:2003-10-09
Morehead, KY
kudos:5

I didn't see a stable release of 9.6, only the beta, sorry.
It wouldn't hurt to try it.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

Thanks, I gave it a shot. It does the same thing. The install won't complete.

Littlem129
Premium
join:2007-05-13
White Pine, TN
reply to Rexter

Try downloading AOL 9.6 from here and see if it works. It's the full exe installer, download, save to disk and then install.
»daol.aol.com/software/aoldesktop96alt/

moorlock5

join:2007-01-01
Orlando, FL
reply to Rexter

check if they are running the latest edition of avast antivirus. there is a know issue with avast & aol on win7 64 bit. Avast is working on a fix.

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

Success at last!!

Yes, this was one issue, but even after removing Avast, I still had the problem. Out of desperation, I did the RTM Service Pack 1 install. I was quite sure this was going to wreck the system, and prevent it from booting. This is an HP after all. Well, I was happily wrong, AOL then installed, and works without a hitch.

Thanks
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

Marsha

@verizon.net

please tell me what "rtm" is I am unable to run aol 9.6 it wont stay connected ...could that be the prob.?

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 hasn't been released for end users yet. RTM stands for Release to Manufacturing. It's the version Microsoft has released to companies like Dell, HP, Sony ect, that are meant for new computers. While this version is fine for a fresh install of Windows, it has not been tested thoroughly, and may break some system, or configuration settings on currently functioning computers. Installing an RTM service pack on a fully configured machine, like I did, is generally a bad idea.

Your issue sounds very different than mine.
--

Marsha

@aol.com

yes my issue is different and i just was hoping that was a simple fix, so i still dont have a clue as to what to do....oh well thanks for the quick response anyway.

Marsha

@aol.com

well my issue is i was able to dl 9.6 but i cant get it to stay connected. once it dl'd and sign on then like 5 seconds later it shut down and the error message say it dont know what the prob is. i tried with "chat help" and "fix it" to try to fix the connetivity issues and any corrupted files and even the adaptor all of which didnt work. one of the help said it might be something with the "funsearch" funbar or something like that and was told how to fix it....then a patch came through from aol and neither of those did the trick. so as one can imagine i am very frustrated. if anyone has a true fix to this situation i would greatly appreciate it.
i am on win 7, 64/dual ...oh and the win 7 was upgraded from vista about 6 months ago and i had no prob with any aol product after that upgrade, until now with 9.6. someone please help....thanks!

Rexter
YeeHaw

cloud 9

Is there any reason you need 9.6? Will 9.5 work?

HopelessCase
Premium
join:2006-05-03
UK
reply to Rexter

Re: AOL 9.6, and Windows 7 64 bit

I had this prob too, with AOL 9.1 under XP. Eventually discoved how to fix it:

MSconfig/tools/system properties/advance/performance settings/Data Execution Prevention

Check 'Turn on DEP for essential Windows only'

Expand your moderator at work