spc
Search similar:

uniqs
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Update on cancel

Just so you know, if you go the way of PP and choose the leased handytone, and cancel if you do not return within 30 days they charge you $99. I had it for almost 2 years. Considering I purchased one for $40 new (the exact same model for voip.ms), it may make sense to do BYOD to avoid such a potential tax, if they allow BYOD.

Granted if you return on time (u still have to pay shipping), you are only out shipping...

Now under a leasing model, there is usually some sort of depreciation schedule, or at least TVM.

I pulled out my old HT ($40), and got it up in running w/ voip.ms in 20 minutes. So now I use it for my office backup line. It is not entirely user friendly, but for those who know what they are doing (and voip.ms tech support is great). Last month: $2.00, since most of my calls are occasional concalls to 800 numbers (no charge). Calls to canada are 0.5 cent minute. Great for my relatives. 30cents and hour

If we use 500 min a month on landline, that is a lot. On PAYG (0.5 to canada), that would cost me on voip.ms less than $4, so if you are a low user like me PAYG may be a better option. I also don't get whacked on all the taxes for PAYG, so there's another $3-4/mo in my pocket to rent 30 day old movies from redbox .

If you are a heavier user, consider the 2 year promotional plans ($200), a lot of people offer this.

Verizon charges me $20 for FIOS phone (3-play), (my emp pays), so this is on par w/ PP charges. The voice quality is better and very stable (the only thing my wife cares about)--landline quality, however features are behind PP. So you also need to do the analysis of what makes sense for your home, because the choice to go indy versus telco boils down to features and price. To get value from the indys you need to do a contract 2+ years, and really need the features. IF you go MTM, telcos are now competitive if u do a 3-play. Otherwise w/ telco, you call them up if you have a problem and they NEED to take care of it. I consider indy as definitely best effort at best. So you have to factor in the "aggravation" factor also.

Verizon FIOS service and support thus far has been stellar, the best I have seen ever from a near-monopoly. it's almost like they were behaving as a regular competitive company I haven't dealt w/ billing yet (I hear that can be a problem), but service wise 10.

So in full disclosure, the termination process (which many people don't probably take the time to document) for me is less than reasonable. Just a data point for those considering PP as an option.t