Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Midgard

join:2010-10-11
MA
kudos:1

[MA] Auto Insurance change - proposal

Did anyone happen to hear Deval Patrick is trying to get the auto insurance rate changed? He wants it to be per mile driven. If you drive 10,000 miles a year it's $xxx vs. if you drive 25,000 miles it's $x,xxx. He reasoning is it will make people stop driving as much to help the environment from less gas sales. Pretty crazy stuff if you ask me. Not to mention it bring up stuff like they will be tracking your driving habits to make this work. It will skyrocket the cost of delivery and shipping for businesses in the state. How is this moran in office again?

Edit: It was on AAF 107.3/97.7 in the morning on the Hillman's show. (radio)

HenryFarpolo
Premium
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

I have not heard anything about this proposal, but you can be be assured that it would result in;

-People who already drive low miles will NOT pay any less than they pay now.

-A ton of bureaucratic jobs will be created to administer the program.

-Devious minds will very quickly find a way to beat the system.

-Most important, the proposal will never fly!! Although this IS Massachusetts and stranger things have happened.

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to Midgard

said by Midgard:

How is this moran in office again?

You're new to the Commonwealth, so I'll tell you.

Deval Patrick - D

(It's the "D")

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Midgard

said by Midgard:

moran? is that anything like a maroon? n'yuk n'yuk

Frostbite

join:2000-06-13
Marlborough, MA

Maroon? Did you say macaroon? Yum yum!
--
-Frosty, KA1FOX

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2
reply to Midgard

you know, if Deval would just go on Hillman for an hour one day it would make things so much better for Deval...
or maybe not.
--
"Oh no. This is Earth, isn't it." - Thor

HFB1217
The Wizard
Premium,ExMod 2000-01
join:2000-06-26
Camelot
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Midgard

Real bright plan ( NOT)

I live where just to buy groceries it takes a 10 mile round trip also I have to travel to the Providence VA Hospital about 6 times a month at 200 miles a clip each time.

He tried this mileage thing once already suggesting we pay a usage tax to the state for mileage traveled.

This could be a pretext to sneak this in again by first using mileage control and clocking system for insurance then back dooring the state charges again.

I pay taxes to subsides public but have none on Cape Cod.
--
*****aka The WIZARD *****A Founding member of Seti BBR Team Starfire***

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA

said by HFB1217:

Real bright plan ( NOT)

I live where just to buy groceries it takes a 10 mile round trip also I have to travel to the Providence VA Hospital about 6 times a month at 200 miles a clip each time.

He tried this mileage thing once already suggesting we pay a usage tax to the state for mileage traveled.

This could be a pretext to sneak this in again by first using mileage control and clocking system for insurance then back dooring the state charges again.

I pay taxes to subsides public but have none on Cape Cod.

But you are "wealthy" enough to live on Cape Cod and still complain?

Oh, that's right, I'm "wealthy" enough to live on Cape Cod too. Sorry, I forgot. Cape Cod pays more taxes than it receives in benefits.

Midgard

join:2010-10-11
MA
reply to vaxvms

said by vaxvms:

said by Midgard:

moran? is that anything like a maroon? n'yuk n'yuk

It's a Nascar joke. I'm sure others have used it as well.

probboy

join:2008-01-10
Natick, MA
reply to Midgard

He mentioned wanting to pilot this program a few months ago (story was either in the Globe or the Herald). It sounds like he wants to make this overly complicated by embedding electronics in the inspection sticker. If the state decides to do this, I don't understand why it has to be so complicated:

We have to get our cars inspected every year in the commonwealth. During that process, the mechanic has to input all sorts of data that gets sent to the state, including odometer reading. Why can't the state subtract this year's odometer reading from last year's and send out a bill?

Oh, I forgot, we wouldn't have to contract with some no-bid contractor to set up the program and we wouldn't have to create an entire new department/group/whatever-we're-calling-it-this-week in MassDOT.

As an aside, I'm almost certain that Oregon has a similar program.