Search similar:

uniqs
Pocatello
join:2011-05-17
83201-4406

Pocatello to gokou340

to gokou340

changes

Yes, the changes are recent and go along with their new terms of service regarding their data plan.

peebee
@cableone.net

peebee

Anon

I'm rather disappointed with these new "data plans" too. I'm not here to sling mud back and forth but I will say that I've got a U-verse VRAD about 1200 ft. down the road and will be switching as soon as it comes online. 50GB cap? No thanks. I would much rather deal with AT&T (which isn't spectacular either).

One last thing. The lady at the local CableOne office told me "caps are an industry standard, everyone is doing them". They are far from an industry standard internationally and nationally, although picking up steam, are getting a LOT of pushback from unsatisfied customers. Not to mention, ComCast, who is highly know for their aggressive internet policies has a cap 5x the size of CableOne's. These facts lead me to one conclusion: CableOne's policies are highly focused on a narrow subset of people; the elderly and the untechnical.

grouper
@vthm.com

grouper

Anon

great post. you need to post this on cable one facebook page.
gokou340
join:2011-05-19
Kuna, ID

gokou340 to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952

Re: DOCSIS 3.0

I signed up for the 50MB service, and when asked for the sales guy to verify that between 12AM-8AM is when they don't monitor the bandwidth, he was completely confused, and just scuffed, and said "Whatever you read it is, I have no idea". I asked him to go back and verify it with one of his managers, and 3 people came up and told me it was actually between 12AM-12PM when they don't monitor for the 50MB plan. I told them to document that on my account. So if they come back saying that they were monitoring my usage between 8AM-12PM, I can get out of my contract.

Quotation
@cableone.net

Quotation

Anon

Seriously ever since DOCSIS 3.0 went into effect my internet has been slow as hell during weekends. I received no e-mail about a new modem but I think that is the problem. Honestly I have been sitting here for 5 minutes trying to load facebook.. this is crazy. I'm in Sioux City btw.

How do I check which modem (DOCSIS wise) it is?
Quotation

Quotation

Anon

Well just figured it out and I guess I still have a DOCSIS 1.0 lol.. never saw a reason to upgrade before but I guess I will have to now.

Am I going to have to pay for a new Modem? Or will CableOne provide me with a new one? If not then how much will a brand new decent DOCSIS 3.0 modem run for?

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

DOCSIS 1.0/1.1? Are you serious?

What's the model of your cable modem? Modems made in the last 7-8 years or so have been at least DOCSIS 2 compliant.

It could simply be flaking out due to age.
gokou340
join:2011-05-19
Kuna, ID

gokou340 to Quotation

to Quotation
CableOne will lease you one for $8/month

Quotation
@cableone.net

Quotation

Anon

So I went to Cable One today and in order to get a new modem I had to upgrade to their 50 Meg connection.

Sounds great because it is better then my 5 meg, but I am a pretty heavy gamer and I heard that there is a 50 GB bandwidth limit each month. Now how much does gaming effect this? Am I doomed and am destined to get throttled/overcharged?

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

Steam downloads and patch updates will make that 50 GB cap look like it's nothing unless you rarely play.

Gaming bandwidth in itself is generally low unless you add VoIP, but if your game needs a patch update or if you choose to buy some steam games on-sale, you'll no doubt blow through that cap.

Quotation
@cableone.net

Quotation

Anon

Yeah the Steam is what is worrying me. Steam has waaaaay too many great deals and some are hard to pass up lol. I'll just have to watch what I do. I can always buy newer games through hard copy instead of a digital download.

Praying that Cable One will wake up and increase the data cap, because honestly 50 GB isn't that much if you really think about it.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium Member
Gautier, MS

Pashune

Premium Member

50 GB is like going the Bell Canada route. Many ISPs in Canada have a bigger cap than that.. and that's really sad.

Palimpsect
@morningside.edu

Palimpsect to Quotation

Anon

to Quotation
For the guy with the slow DOCSIS, try going into the firewall settings of the modem and disabling the "IP Flood Protection." That will probably solve your problem.