Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY

CableVision Article

Was reading a StopTheCap! article snagged from the Billings Gazette and it sounds like we won't be expecting too many HSI upgrades in the near future:

said by »billingsgazette.com/news/opinion···8ed.html :

High-speed Internet service in the towns we serve is going to get faster. Over the next 18 months, we will upgrade the speeds of our basic level of Internet service to up to 15 megabits per second, nearly double what they are today.

Sounds like they only intend to up the 8Mb/s tier to 15Mb/s...hopefully they intend to double the Speed Plus tier otherwise Speed Plus doesn't sound so appetizing.

Also found it on this thread: »Bresnan Integration/Conversion

meowmeow

join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT

My understanding is that SpeedPlus goes from 18 to 30.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

I take it that goes inline with OOL Boost in which case we should also see the upstream go from 1Mb/s to 5Mb/s (basic would go from 384Kb/s to 2Mb/s)?

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

mmmoore uuuuplooaddd.. *drooling*

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

I am waiting for them to launch OOL Ultra...101Mb/s downstream, 15Mb/s upstream. Don't expect it to happen right away, though. I am thinking they will get all markets up to OOL and OOL Boost speeds then will worry about bringing Ultra to ex-Bresnan markets.

meowmeow

Helena, MT

Ultra requires DOCSIS 3.0. Don't expect it in our rural markets this year or even next.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

Hopefully they will transition to a D3 CMTS sooner rather than later so that we can transition to channel bonding. With a single QAM256 channel having a downstream capacity of 38Mb/s and our node is already saturated with 18Mb/s downstream for Speedplus and 8Mb/s for standard...I can only imagine what will happen when 18 goes to 30 and 8 goes to 15. Splitting our node is doubtful at best, have more faith in them updating the CMTS than splitting our node. 1.2Mb/s downstream every evening for a 18Mb/s tier is getting old fast.

TiredBiker

join:2011-02-07
reply to koolkid1563

I would be happy to just get the ping down under a hundred gaming to Chicago, Seattle, or and the quality of service consistent. Not to much to ask for from a premium user is it?
Wow this is not cool.
»www.speedtest.net/result/1147479095.png

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

Where are you located?

meowmeow

Helena, MT
reply to koolkid1563

Sad, I consistently get at least 18mbps day and night.

meowmeow

Helena, MT

1 edit
reply to koolkid1563

PS:

Yes this is late at night, but I get similar results no matter when. BTW, don't use that Kalispell, MT server. Those guys have a horrible network themselves, so I wouldn't trust it for a reliable test...

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
Powell, WY

Here is what I was getting last night from various locations:

2-7-11

meowmeow

Helena, MT

So much for my consistent speeds - I just did three tests to three different servers and all were around 8/1 instead of 18/1. Something has changed in the last month or they are having problems today, it used to be very consistent. Still, upload is good and it's what I care about - but it does explain why I've had trouble the last couple weeks sometimes watching Netflix on two TVs at once.