Jet101
Premium Member
join:2009-10-01
Pflugerville, TX

Jet101 to mazilo

Premium Member

to mazilo

Re: [Other] Own a FreeSwitch on a Seagate DockStar for $24.99

The good news is, I took up where I left off about a month ago trying to get gtalk working on the Dockstar with Debian Lenny. It was just too flaky at the time, and would work one minute, and not the next.

I went the Optware route, and after a long day of playing around with it, I'm happy to say I have it working like a champ. Installed the latest Asterisk 1.8.2.2, a few dependent packages, set up the configs, and viola, instant gtalk calling. Had to manually load the gtalk module and a couple of others, but wasn't too big a deal. Very nice!
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by Jet101:

Had to manually load the gtalk module and a couple of others, but wasn't too big a deal. Very nice!

Check the /etc/asterisk/modules.conf file and see if you have res_jabber.so as well as chan_gtalk.so loaded (IIRC).
Jet101
Jet101
Premium Member
Pflugerville, TX

Jet101

Premium Member

said by mazilo:

Check the /etc/asterisk/modules.conf file and see if you have res_jabber.so as well as chan_gtalk.so loaded (IIRC).

They were there, they just didn't load with the install of Asterisk. I had to do a "module load res_jabber.so" and the same with chan_gtalk.so to get them working. After that, there were no problems. I just made a call to Mexico on it also, and it worked perfectly (after I added an international dialplan).
davidnewt
join:2009-08-10
Conroe, TX

1 edit

davidnewt to Jet101

to Jet101
said by Jet101:

I went the Optware route, and after a long day of playing around with it, I'm happy to say I have it working like a champ. Installed the latest Asterisk 1.8.2.2, a few dependent packages, set up the configs, and viola, instant gtalk calling. Had to manually load the gtalk module and a couple of others, but wasn't too big a deal. Very nice!

If possible, please share the procedure to make optware working on the dockstar. I am trying to use it to replace my wl520gu router and needs a quick solution to make my asterisk server work again. I will buy another one to have more advanced adventure such as debian etc. Thanks a lot in advance.

UPDATE: I found the information I need at this site:

»www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki ··· omputers
Jet101
Jet101
Premium Member
Pflugerville, TX

Jet101

Premium Member

said by davidnewt:

If possible, please share the procedure to make optware working on the dockstar. I am trying to use it to replace my wl520gu router and needs a quick solution to make my asterisk server work again. I will buy another one to have more advanced adventure such as debian etc. Thanks a lot in advance.

I used OpenPogo from the PlugApps web page, which is what twinclouds See Profile linked to, however, that site is down at the moment. I was just on it yesterday, so I don't know what's going on with it.

I also looked at the link you are referencing, and figured I'd use it on my next dockstar, as I had issues with getting packages to autostart along with a few other minor details using the OpenPogo method. Either way, there's quite a bit of extra work to be done to get everything working right. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the Dahdi driver loaded to get a better timing source. Seems it doesn't come with the Asterisk 1.8 package.
davidnewt
Conroe, TX

davidnewt

said by Jet101:

I also looked at the link you are referencing, and figured I'd use it on my next dockstar, as I had issues with getting packages to autostart along with a few other minor details using the OpenPogo method. Either way, there's quite a bit of extra work to be done to get everything working right. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the Dahdi driver loaded to get a better timing source. Seems it doesn't come with the Asterisk 1.8 package.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have read the instruction from NSLU2-Linux (the link I am referencing). It seems that there might be a missing step there between Step 3 and Step 4. The Step 3 is to mount the drive, Step 4 is to get the ipkg from internet. To my understanding, when the dockstar connected to internet, it will automatically update the firmware and block the ssh (as stated in Step 1). So, I am not sure if something is missing between these 2 steps before it is connected to internet. Do you have any idea about this? Thanks.
Jet101
Jet101
Premium Member
Pflugerville, TX

1 edit

Jet101

Premium Member

I don't think they are missing a step, as they mention at the beginning that the stock u-boot is not modified, so this procedure will not affect the my.pogoplug.com. I used to use the Debian Lenny install and would use "killall hbwd" to keep it from updating until Jeff Doozan's process killed it for good. I allowed my last dockstar to go ahead and contact my.pogoplug.com. I was kind of curious as to what this would do.

Of course, it shut down ssh as expected, but I was able to create an account at pogoplug and turn it back on again. I'm on the fence as to whether to let it do this or not in the future, and would lean toward not allowing it. I read on somewhere that a firmware upgrade hosed the ability to boot to a USB.

There are methods to keep the dockstar from phoning home, and I believe that the nslu2 website mentions some of them. You might have to search around a bit. I will be looking as well, as I don't think I want to allow any future dockstars I work with to update at pogoplug.

EDIT: I probably spent about 20+ hours working on the Optware/Asterisk1.8/gtalk stuff this weekend before getting everything working well. I was unfamilar with Optware and it's structure and methods. I'm still learning.
davidnewt
Conroe, TX

1 edit

davidnewt

Jet101: Thanks. So, for my understanding, after step 3, the dockstar needs to connect internet, then, the ssh may be blocked due to auto-upgrade. Before it is upgraded, I should use killall hbwd to preventing upgrade. Otherwise, if I am not fast enough, I need to register in my.pogoplug.com to get the ssh back and proceed to Step 4. Is this correct?

I used optware/asterisk1.8/gtalk on Tomato and DD-wrt routers for some time. I think I will be comfortable to set this up if I could make ipkg work on the dockstar. Right now I did not start yet due to the confusion about the Step 3 and Step 4.
tigger66
join:2004-01-09
New York, NY

tigger66

I read it somewhere that calling home won't happen immediately after going on the Internet. It is more like in a couple of hours.

My Dockstar was exposed to the net for like 20 minutes before I issued the kill killall hbwd. But it was not upgraded. So 1 data point seems to support that observation. Your mileage may vary.
davidnewt
Conroe, TX

davidnewt

said by tigger66:

I read it somewhere that calling home won't happen immediately after going on the Internet. It is more like in a couple of hours.

My Dockstar was exposed to the net for like 20 minutes before I issued the kill killall hbwd. But it was not upgraded. So 1 data point seems to support that observation. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks a lot. That eliminates my worry. In this case, the "killall hbwd" should be safely added into he startup script. I will start to try the procedure.
Jet101
Jet101
Premium Member
Pflugerville, TX

1 edit

Jet101

Premium Member

If you want to kill the phone home portion so that you could go back and allow it at a later date, do this before doing anything else:

Use ssh and login to the dockstar.

* killall hbwd
* mount -o remount,rw /
* vi /etc/init.d/rcS
press "i" (to get into insert mode)
change the line "/etc/init.d/hbmgr.sh start" to "#/etc/init.d/hbmgr.sh start"
[esc] and ":wq" (write & quit)

You can go back at a later date and remove the comment "#" to get it working again.

Edit: I'm about to try the nslu2 website method vs. the OpenPogo method myself. Will let you know how it goes.
davidnewt
Conroe, TX

davidnewt

In this site,

»ahsoftware.de/dockstar/# ··· allation

the author has a warning about disabling hbmgr.sh for certain new firmware:

(Warning: As already mentioned above, don't disable hbmgr on devices with a firmware where you have to enable ssh through the Pogoplug software. This will disable ssh after reboot/shutdown and you will loose access through ssh. Do this only, when you have access to the serial.)

Is there a way to tell which firmware the dockstar use? From the above statement, I guess that if I can access the ssh without registering, it should be safe to disable hbmgr.sh in the rcS file. Am I right? Thanks.
Jet101
Jet101
Premium Member
Pflugerville, TX

1 edit

Jet101

Premium Member

Best I can tell, if you already have ssh access after powering up for the first time, then this warning would not apply. If you are concerned about this, here is an alternate method at this site:

»plugapps.com/index.php5? ··· _Updates

Haven't tried this one yet.

Edit: That link goes to plugapps, which is where the OpenPogo method is located. They seem to be back online now.