join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4

2 recommendations

It's a Sony (once and forever)

Electronic Frontier Foundation | January 19th, 2011

»www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/01/so···-message

quote:
For years, EFF has been warning that the anti-circumvention provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act can be used to chill speech, particularly security research, because legitimate researchers will be afraid to publish their results lest they be accused of circumventing a technological protection measure. We've also been concerned that the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act could be abused to try to make alleged contract violations into crimes.

We've never been sorrier to be right. These two things are precisely what's happening in Sony v. Hotz. If you have missed this one, Sony has sued several security researchers for publishing information about security holes in Sony’s PlayStation 3. At first glance, it's hard to see why Sony is bothering — after all, the research was presented three weeks ago at the Chaos Communication Congress and promptly circulated around the world. The security flaws discovered by the researchers allow users to run Linux on their machines again — something Sony used to support but recently started trying to prevent. Paying lawyers to try to put the cat back in the bag is just throwing good money after bad. And even if they won — we'll save the legal analysis for another post — the defendants seem unlikely to be able to pay significant damages. So what's the point?

The real point, it appears, is to send a message to security researchers around the world: publish the details of our security flaws and we'll come after you with both barrels blazing. For example, Sony has asked the court to immediately impound all "circumvention devices" — which it defines to include not only the defendants' computers, but also all "instructions," i.e., their research and findings. Given that the research results Sony presumably cares about are available online, granting the order would mean that everyone except the researchers themselves would have access to their work.

Not content with the DMCA hammer, Sony is also bringing a slew of outrageous Computer Fraud and Abuse Act claims. The basic gist of Sony's argument is that the researchers accessed their own PlayStation 3 consoles in a way that violated the agreement that Sony imposes on users of its network (and supposedly enabled others to do the same). But the researchers don't seem to have used Sony's network in their research — they just used the consoles they bought with their own money. Simply put, Sony claims that it's illegal for users to access their own computers in a way that Sony doesn't like. Moreover, because the CFAA has criminal as well as civil penalties, Sony is actually saying that it's a crime for users to access their own computers in a way that Sony doesn't like.

That means Sony is sending another dangerous message: that it has rights in the computer it sells you even after you buy it, and therefore can decide whether your tinkering with that computer is legal or not. We disagree. Once you buy a computer, it's yours. It shouldn't be a crime for you to access your own computer, regardless of whether Sony or any other company likes what you're doing.
The never ending Sony story: they will never learn from the BS performed in the past, probably they feel covered by their slogan: It's a Sony (once and forever).
--
Smokey's Security Forums »www.smokey-services.eu/forums/
* Site Member ASAP - Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
* Site Member AQMRB - Alliance of Qualified Malware Removal Boards

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

I don't understand even why Sony has any legal right to prevent purchasers of hardware from running whatever software they want on the hardware they own.

If you buy the hardware, you should be able to do whatever you want with it. I don't see this as related to the usual discussion of sofware rights: hardware is very definitely an object that belongs, after payment, to the purchaser. If I want to buy a PS3 and use it as a doorstop, I can do that. Right?

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4

2 recommendations

said by dave:
If you buy the hardware, you should be able to do whatever you want with it. I don't see this as related to the usual discussion of sofware rights: hardware is very definitely an object that belongs, after payment, to the purchaser. If I want to buy a PS3 and use it as a doorstop, I can do that. Right?

Right. However, as usual, Sony's wicked mind see it different. Remember the Sony BMG copy protection rootkit scandal and after Mark Russinovich posted an article about the rootkit, Sony BMG released a removal program that merely unmasked the hidden files installed by the rootkit, but did not actually remove the rootkit? It's obvious Sony solely produced crap in the past and till today didn't changed their arrogant, ignorant and intolerable attitude.
--
Smokey's Security Forums »www.smokey-services.eu/forums/
* Site Member ASAP - Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
* Site Member AQMRB - Alliance of Qualified Malware Removal Boards

CajunTek
Insane Cajun
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-08
Arlington, TX

1 recommendation

And why I haven't bought anything produced by Sony since the rootkit scandal...
--
da Cajun Darn I hate Malware

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:20
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by CajunTek:

+1
--
I Live In My Own World, But It's OK.....They Know Me There.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by CCat:

said by CajunTek:

+1

+2

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX
reply to Smokey Bear
A san Francisco judge has told Sony to prove they have jurisdiction over Hotz, who lives in NJ. And even what with Sony's attempts at abusing the DMCA and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, the information on this is out there and widespread. Sony, meet Streisand Effect.
--
"The trouble with computers, of course, is that they are very sophisticated idiots." - Doctor Who (from Robot)

VikingBob

join:2004-06-05
Ste Anne, MB
reply to Smokey Bear
Sony just doesn't get it... You would think a lesson would have been learned back in the VHS vs. Beta Wars... Quit being so #!$@ing greedy...

Timmn

join:2000-04-23
Tinley Park, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T Yahoo
·DIRECTV
reply to jaynick
said by jaynick:

said by CCat:

said by CajunTek:

+1

+2

+3

salzan
Experienced Optimist
Premium
join:2004-01-08
WA State
reply to CajunTek
said by CajunTek:

+4

I do everything I can to avoid Sony now.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA
The only thing I have a hard time avoiding from Sony is the Sony/BMG catalog. Everything else is boycotted because of the rootkit.

longgone

join:2000-12-30
Culloden, WV
reply to CCat
said by CCat:

said by CajunTek:

+1

+++++5

Haven't purchased anything since an old 21" Trinitron Tube TV.

Most consumers and computer users don't know what a rootkit is! But maybe if they were to be well informed, then just maybe they might feel the same as those in here.

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Smokey Bear
It's a variation on the intellectual rights argument - the seller has the right forever to dictate the use of the object. The same argument is being used by some to say you can't break DRM on an ebook that you've purchased in order to be able to read the book on your own various ereaders, nevermind that you're not going to upload it anywhere.

Apparently we don't actually own anything we buy anymore; we just permanently lease the item - whatever it is.
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to Smokey Bear
I've had PS3's for years, and there used to be an option to install another OS on them. I don't know if Sony removed that option. To the best of my recollection the openness of the Sony PS3 was a feature that was at least mentioned at the time. There were some articles about people who used Linux with PS3's to work on some scientific problems. Sony seemed to encourage that at the time.

Did Sony remove the install Linux feature on all PS3's? Including PS3's that initially had that feature?
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

Stojko
Premium
join:2007-10-20
St John's NL
said by pandora:

I've had PS3's for years, and there used to be an option to install another OS on them. I don't know if Sony removed that option. To the best of my recollection the openness of the Sony PS3 was a feature that was at least mentioned at the time. There were some articles about people who used Linux with PS3's to work on some scientific problems. Sony seemed to encourage that at the time.

Did Sony remove the install Linux feature on all PS3's? Including PS3's that initially had that feature?

If you upgrade your firmware past a certain point (which is required for most new games, etc) then it disables the "Install other OS" option on the old 'fat' PS3s.

ObdH
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Abilene, TX
reply to salzan
said by salzan:

said by CajunTek:

+4

I do everything I can to avoid Sony now.

+5... someone should email a few people at sony this thread to show em why their stock is down!
--
I got it one piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime!

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to DannyZ
Even blu-ray?

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA
Even blu-ray. For the most part I don't watch movies.

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to dave
I think Sony feels it's operating under Feudal Land Title--the concept that you can only rent hardware--whether it be your home, your Playstation, or a key to a post office box. In reality, it's consumer fraud to say that you are 'selling' a Playstation, a house, or anything else that someone else is claiming feudal ownership of. So Sony's moral stand on this is tenuous at best.

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
reply to Smokey Bear
Did Sony put any rootkits on blank discs too?

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

1 recommendation

reply to disconnected
Way to go! You managed to introduce your one-and-only topic of discussion into a DMCA topic! Nice work.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
reply to Smokey Bear
Somebody needs to stop these wankers. I have purchased 0 Sony games, especially for my ps3, since they removed the Linux option. My existing ps3 simply does streaming, these days. Adding this topic to my anti-Sony sig.
--
The new Sony rootkit-Using the ability to remove features you paid for. What's next? Boycott Sony products »[Rant] ps3 update = no more Linux

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
reply to Smokey Bear
Thanks for the article, Smokey.

Here's the most pertinent line in it that really gets to the heart of the matter:

quote:
Simply put, Sony claims that it's illegal for users to access their own computers in a way that Sony doesn't like.
And that's the bottom line. DRM technology is all about preventing you, the owner, from tinkering with software and hardware you have bought. They don't want you to "own" it, but would rather have you to rent it. It would be akin to a car company saying you must never open the hood to examine the engine. If you're a car enthusiast you must never modify its engine for more horsepower, or even change the spark plugs. Nope, you must use it "as is" in the way they want you to.

And this really is the crux of the whole DRM and TPM stuff. TPM itself has a couple of advantages, but its potential abuses far outweigh the advantages.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

JBear

join:2005-02-24
canada
reply to Smokey Bear
While I agree with what most of you are saying, this is going to suck for the online gaming community... .

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream
said by JBear:

While I agree with what most of you are saying, this is going to suck for the online gaming community... .

Or open the door for a more liberal product vendor who can provide a similar level of quality without the restrictions...

Just a thought
Mike
--
Returnil - 21st Century body armor for your PC

JBear

canada
example?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to dave
said by dave:

If I want to buy a PS3 and use it as a doorstop, I can do that. Right?

Depends what your license agreement with SONY says, right?
--
Standard disclaimers apply.
Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed.

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to JBear
said by JBear:

example?

Wish I had one... Doesn't invalidate the potential for one to emerge however...

JMHO
--
Returnil - 21st Century body armor for your PC

JBear

canada
reply to Smokey Bear
Well unfortunately gaming consoles for now have to be locked down in regards to the online community. How much is it going to suck that some one is racing around in a 1000hp Daihautsui Midget in GT5 or enable god mode or flying in a first person shooter? I remember having to leave rooms in Socom 2 just because someone was bored and decided to ruin a few games.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Smokey Bear
Checked out the Sony web site recently?