dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to disconnected

Re: It's a Sony (once and forever)

Way to go! You managed to introduce your one-and-only topic of discussion into a DMCA topic! Nice work.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2
reply to Smokey Bear
Somebody needs to stop these wankers. I have purchased 0 Sony games, especially for my ps3, since they removed the Linux option. My existing ps3 simply does streaming, these days. Adding this topic to my anti-Sony sig.
--
The new Sony rootkit-Using the ability to remove features you paid for. What's next? Boycott Sony products »[Rant] ps3 update = no more Linux

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
reply to Smokey Bear
Thanks for the article, Smokey.

Here's the most pertinent line in it that really gets to the heart of the matter:

quote:
Simply put, Sony claims that it's illegal for users to access their own computers in a way that Sony doesn't like.
And that's the bottom line. DRM technology is all about preventing you, the owner, from tinkering with software and hardware you have bought. They don't want you to "own" it, but would rather have you to rent it. It would be akin to a car company saying you must never open the hood to examine the engine. If you're a car enthusiast you must never modify its engine for more horsepower, or even change the spark plugs. Nope, you must use it "as is" in the way they want you to.

And this really is the crux of the whole DRM and TPM stuff. TPM itself has a couple of advantages, but its potential abuses far outweigh the advantages.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

JBear

join:2005-02-24
canada
reply to Smokey Bear
While I agree with what most of you are saying, this is going to suck for the online gaming community... .

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream
said by JBear:

While I agree with what most of you are saying, this is going to suck for the online gaming community... .

Or open the door for a more liberal product vendor who can provide a similar level of quality without the restrictions...

Just a thought
Mike
--
Returnil - 21st Century body armor for your PC

JBear

canada
example?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to dave
said by dave:

If I want to buy a PS3 and use it as a doorstop, I can do that. Right?

Depends what your license agreement with SONY says, right?
--
Standard disclaimers apply.
Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed.

coldmoon
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Broadway, NC
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to JBear
said by JBear:

example?

Wish I had one... Doesn't invalidate the potential for one to emerge however...

JMHO
--
Returnil - 21st Century body armor for your PC

JBear

canada
reply to Smokey Bear
Well unfortunately gaming consoles for now have to be locked down in regards to the online community. How much is it going to suck that some one is racing around in a 1000hp Daihautsui Midget in GT5 or enable god mode or flying in a first person shooter? I remember having to leave rooms in Socom 2 just because someone was bored and decided to ruin a few games.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Smokey Bear
Checked out the Sony web site recently?

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
BOYCOTT SONY

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to JBear
said by JBear:

Well unfortunately gaming consoles for now have to be locked down in regards to the online community. How much is it going to suck that some one is racing around in a 1000hp Daihautsui Midget in GT5 or enable god mode or flying in a first person shooter? I remember having to leave rooms in Socom 2 just because someone was bored and decided to ruin a few games.

this has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Computers are not locked down and make excellent multiplayer platforms.
--
Standard disclaimers apply.
Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed.

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4
reply to KodiacZiller
said by KodiacZiller:
Thanks for the article, Smokey.
You're welcome.

quote:
And this really is the crux of the whole DRM and TPM stuff. TPM itself has a couple of advantages, but its potential abuses far outweigh the advantages.

Here I have to thank YOU.
--
Smokey's Security Forums »www.smokey-services.eu/forums/
* Site Member ASAP - Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
* Site Member AQMRB - Alliance of Qualified Malware Removal Boards

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to CajunTek
said by CajunTek:

And why I haven't bought anything produced by Sony since the rootkit scandal...

Me either.

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock
reply to ObdH
said by ObdH:

said by salzan:

said by CajunTek:

And why I haven't bought anything produced by Sony since the rootkit scandal...

+4

I do everything I can to avoid Sony now.

+5... someone should email a few people at sony this thread to show em why their stock is down!

+6 or 7 or whatever it is.
--
To talk much and arrive nowhere is the same as climbing a tree to catch a fish.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
reply to Smokey Bear
Sony: "like no other". Let us certainly hope so...

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
Annie's Pub
reply to Smokey Bear
Sony successful in bid against PS3 hacker George Hotz / Just released PS3 security update already hacked

quote:
PS3 hacker gets restraining order
MCV - 28th January 2011

»www.mcvuk.com/news/42765/PS3-hac ··· ng-order

George ‘geohot’ Hotz has been issued a temporary restraining order preventing him from distributing PS3 homebrew software.

The judge granted Sony its request for the order which was submitted earlier this month.

Court documents published by PSX Scene read: “The court finds that SCEA has shown a likelihood of success on the merits of its claims for violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, and that it will suffer irreparable harm unless defendant Hotz’s violations are enjoined.

“The court also finds that a temporary restraining order and order of impoundment are necessary to prevent immediate and irreparable injury to SCEA, before the hearing on the order regarding the preliminary injunction can take pace, and to preserve the status quo.”

The news comes as Sony issues firmware update 3.56 over PSN which includes a new PS3 security update. However, this has already been hacked. [see next article in this reply - SB]
Well Sony can be opinion they won, however factual they lose again. PS3 firmware update 3.56 was already hacked on 28th January 2011, just hours after going live; details how to bypass the PS3 update are public available:

quote:
PS3 security update already hacked
MCV - 28th January 2011

»www.mcvuk.com/news/42770/PS3-sec ··· y-hacked

Sony’s latest PS3 firmware update has already been overcome by hackers just hours after going live.

As mentioned in the news story about Sony winning a restraining order against George Hotz, the platform holder launched firmware update 3.56 on PSN last night. The patch adds a new security update.

However Edge is reporting that Wii hacker Youness Alaoui claims to have already bypassed the new PS3 update in order to upload homebrew software. He published the details on his Twitter page.
I almost feel pity for Sony. Almost...
--
Smokey's Security Forums »www.smokey-services.eu/forums/
* Site Member ASAP - Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
* Site Member AQMRB - Alliance of Qualified Malware Removal Boards

Trel
Good Evening
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Hillsborough, NJ
reply to Smokey Bear
Don't feel sorry for them.
This is like watching two people play a game of chess. One cheats, but the other guy still wins. Upon losing, the cheater pulls a gun on the fair player. Then a third guy comes in an slaps the cheater, all while the gun is still on the fair player.
--
/chown -R us:us /yourbase

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
Annie's Pub
said by Trel:
Don't feel sorry for them.
I don't do, please watch the word almost

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX
reply to Smokey Bear
Despite this seeming win over George Hotz, Sony is in fact fighting a losing battle over the PS3. The hackers now have the console squarely in their sights.

And most recently, Sony sent a DMCA takedown notice to Github demanding the removal of 6 repositories related to PS3 jailbreaking:

»hardware.slashdot.org/story/11/0 ··· o-GitHub

The Streisand Effect is kicking in as mirrors have already been set up containing the information. Plus I have no doubt it is on torrent sites by now.
--
"The trouble with computers, of course, is that they are very sophisticated idiots." - Doctor Who (from Robot)

Doctor Four
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Smokey Bear
An update on this story: Sony has expanded its dragnet to send DMCA notices to anyone who posts the hack online, and to this end, they are asking Google for IP addresses of those who posted comments to a private Youtube video detailing the hack.

Only trouble is, it's spread online way beyond the original release by George Hotz, and the failed attempt to stop people posting the code may soon rival that of the AACS key.

»www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/0 ··· factory/

Incidentally, that code has already been posted a couple of times in that Wired article - if it hits Digg or Slashdot, all hell will break loose.
--
"The trouble with computers, of course, is that they are very sophisticated idiots." - Doctor Who (from Robot)

VikingBob

join:2004-06-05
Ste Anne, MB
reply to Smokey Bear
Add me to the Sony Boycotters list, please...

Doctor Four
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Smokey Bear
It's on Slashdot now, and there's a comment there that has all of the jailbreak code in it. Sony's got a major Streisand Effect backlash coming to them over it. This is proving to be quite similar in effect to that of the AACS key debacle (the one that began with 09 F9, and provoked a near revolt on Digg after they tried to remove all mention of it).

»games.slashdot.org/story/11/02/0 ··· PS3-Hack

Sony seems to think they can make all mention of the code go away with legal threats; I have two words in response to that: EPIC FAIL!

And they're getting it on both ends - LG has filed a complaint with the US International Trade Commission, claiming the PS3 violates 4 of their Blu-Ray patents, and they want sales of it to be banned in the US: »games.slashdot.org/story/11/02/0 ··· S-Market
--

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to DownTheShore
said by DownTheShore:

It's a variation on the intellectual rights argument - the seller has the right forever to dictate the use of the object. The same argument is being used by some to say you can't break DRM on an ebook that you've purchased in order to be able to read the book on your own various ereaders, nevermind that you're not going to upload it anywhere.

Apparently we don't actually own anything we buy anymore; we just permanently lease the item - whatever it is.

The seller has no right to dictate the use of the object. Any rights are forfeited at the moment the transaction occurs. Since then the object is not in the seller's possession anymore. Sony may want whatever their fantasy can go, but when it becomes lawfully in the customer's possession - it's not their business anymore.

Don't like how the customer is going to use it - don't sell it...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

shittysony

@lessnetworking.net
reply to Smokey Bear
Couldn't zero
Can't Eat
Feeling Evil
ate for
Central too

two seven
Found seven
five Bees
Done nothing
seven Agreements

seven Extrapolate
Bound eight
for six
five none
nine Felt

nintey three
Beat two
three ate
Except seven
seven zero

Digital Artifact
Censored Blocks
nien Faults
Fortune for
Alas three

eight ate
For eight
one too
forty ate
to Burst

Eventually two
one Broken

Doctor Four
Premium
Dallas, TX

1 edit
PS3 erk Code poetry FTW.

I think I've seen some that are based on the Master Key.

Edit: I just updated my sig. to include that code.