kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to Smokey Bear

Re: It's a Sony (once and forever)

I've had PS3's for years, and there used to be an option to install another OS on them. I don't know if Sony removed that option. To the best of my recollection the openness of the Sony PS3 was a feature that was at least mentioned at the time. There were some articles about people who used Linux with PS3's to work on some scientific problems. Sony seemed to encourage that at the time.

Did Sony remove the install Linux feature on all PS3's? Including PS3's that initially had that feature?
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

Stojko
Premium
join:2007-10-20
St John's NL

said by pandora:

I've had PS3's for years, and there used to be an option to install another OS on them. I don't know if Sony removed that option. To the best of my recollection the openness of the Sony PS3 was a feature that was at least mentioned at the time. There were some articles about people who used Linux with PS3's to work on some scientific problems. Sony seemed to encourage that at the time.

Did Sony remove the install Linux feature on all PS3's? Including PS3's that initially had that feature?

If you upgrade your firmware past a certain point (which is required for most new games, etc) then it disables the "Install other OS" option on the old 'fat' PS3s.