uniqs
share rss forum feed

brianhayes
Premium
join:2009-02-23
Watsonville, CA

1 edit

Managing bandwidth caps

I'm full time every day on Sprint EVDO nearly 3 years. It's all I have in a rural location. To reduce monthly download usage, I've tweaked Firefox:

1) the NoScript extension to block %'s of code unless I click the "Allow" button if I need a fully loaded site. For instance, YouTube and Flash doesn't automatically load unless I say so.

2) AdBlock keeps heaps of bandwidth out of my account. Or try the new AdBan extension which blocks ad servers at their roots.

3) and (!) a new approach I just found called the User Agent Switcher extension.

I can strip sites to a minimum using the m. prefix to load less bandwidth, i.e. m.lifehacker.com is much smaller than lifehacker.com. And I can trigger smaller cleaner 'mobile' templates by switching the browser's User Agent string from full browser to a mobile browser such as iPhone.

To see the full site, I fairly quickly reset the Agent button and refresh the page. A long lists of agent strings is available.

These tidbits reduce unneeded files coming from webservers by removing crap that would normally arrive to my modem. Does anyone have any extra tricks that cull heavy loading?

Just wondering...

cbobby

join:2009-06-14
New Windsor, MD
Do you know about this Reseller

»www.millenicom.com/

brianhayes
Premium
Watsonville, CA
Smart choice. I'm nuts not to sign up. Been waiting too long just to be certain Millenicom stays around I guess. And been so busy day-to-day just haven't focused on the 'important' things.

Thanks for the kick in the butt.

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN
Does NoScript, and AdBan work for Internet Explorer 8, because all I read is it's for Firefox or Firefox like browsers. I do a lot of searching, and I always get ads popping up some of which have videos, and after awhile this really eats up my usage as I am still on Sprint's 5GB cap. I currently use SimpleAdBlock plugin for I.E. 8 and it works great, and it's free. I will be switching to MCOM once my Sprint contract is nearly over.

brianhayes
Premium
Watsonville, CA
You're right. I neglected IE. Oops.

Blocking adverts reduces what's downloading through your monthly cap. Blocking Flash will help too.

A longtime utility site Nirsoft has an IE add-on with an On/Off switch for flash. Find it at: nirsoft.net/utils/tflash2.html

Coders and talented sloggers have built many great tweaks for Firefox, and now Chrome. Microsoft scorns outside fixes which has stalled IE for many years.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN

2 edits
Thanks for the link, here is also a link for the SimpleAdBlock program for IE 8, for the people who may want it.

»simple-adblock.com/downloadpage/

This should help save some of those precious MBs.

Also a tip to add would be to install a bandwidth meter on your PCs that keeps track of how much data you are using, you can also set up a limit to how much data you want to have the PC reach in a month so you don't go over. I use a program called DU Meter, you can download a 30 day free trial from cnet.com, or go on youtube and find a crack/download, so you do not have to pay for it. There are other free versions out there but DU Meter is the only one I could find with a good clean interface. This program can help determine where all your bandwidth is going. It also helps if you need to find out how much bandwidth a certain game or application may use in kbps, or mbps. It is a seperate program that does not install in your internet browser, this means it can track all bandwidth that is being used by every program on the computer.

brianhayes
Premium
Watsonville, CA
DU Meter is pretty but Networx is free.

Hovering over the Networx tray icon displays a running total of the month's usage.

I have it set to roll over on the billing cycle.

When Google gets smart, some say it's trying to remove junk, it won't be so difficult to find credible tools. It's a swamp out there. IE might have better Flash blockers than the one I found, although Nirsoft is trustworthy. I find the built-in IE settings darn cumbersome.

Dexter1992

Winona, MN
I took a look at Networx and it looks like an awesome program for monitoring bandwidth, looks even better then DU Meter. Thanks for the info=)

Dexter1992

Winona, MN

1 edit
Also I was able to get tFlash to run at startup by dragging the program into the startup folder in the start menu. So now I do not have to run the program manually when I log on. Plus if anyone else uses the computer the program will already be running saving more MBs. Just thought I would add this little tip.