Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

danmiller3

join:2005-12-20
Chagrin Falls, OH

SB6120 bonded vs. unbonded

Hi folks -
I just bought an SB6120 for use with my Roadrunner/TWC high speed Internet. I pay for Roadrunner Turbo so theoretically should be getting 15mbps, best case.

With the new modem, I've noticed that the receive light blinks blue instead of green, which means it is bonded. My question is:

What does bonded actually mean?

When I do a speed test I am getting 30mbps+ in downstream activity. That is phenomenal. With my old Motorola modem I was getting 8-9, at best.

But, I also noticed that it all went to hell when the light went back to blinking green. I had to reset the modem to get it bonded again.

Thoughts?

--Dan

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

RoadRunner Turbo can burst to 25Mbps download supposedly with a plain DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem. But it only lasts for a short time. It is a gimmick used by cable ISPs to get web page loading and downloads to start and run faster for a minute. Instead of fixing the cable network, using appropriate node sizes, and providing enough fiber backhaul capability so that the top speeds of a DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem, 38Mbps download, is achieved by all customers, they resort to temporary gimmicks to provide the illusion of a speedy network.

Channel bonding is like having multiple pipes of a standard size to move water. If you have a 10 inch diameter pipe you can move B amount water through it per second. If you have 4 such 10 inch diameter pipes you can move 4xB amount of water per second. Bonding combines the channels used in a cable system to create bigger pipes. Bigger pipes move more data per second. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS#Speed_tables.

What you are experiencing is probably the modem bonding channels temporarily before some traffic management software kicks you off of bonding due to the fact that you are not signed up for the higher bonded service. Your not doing anything wrong, that is just the nature of cable operations today.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by davidhoffman:

RoadRunner Turbo can burst to 25Mbps download supposedly with a plain DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem. But it only lasts for a short time. It is a gimmick used by cable ISPs to get web page loading and downloads to start and run faster for a minute. Instead of fixing the cable network, using appropriate node sizes, and providing enough fiber backhaul capability so that the top speeds of a DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem, 38Mbps download, is achieved by all customers, they resort to temporary gimmicks to provide the illusion of a speedy network.

Channel bonding is like having multiple pipes of a standard size to move water. If you have a 10 inch diameter pipe you can move B amount water through it per second. If you have 4 such 10 inch diameter pipes you can move 4xB amount of water per second. Bonding combines the channels used in a cable system to create bigger pipes. Bigger pipes move more data per second. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS#Speed_tables.

What you are experiencing is probably the modem bonding channels temporarily before some traffic management software kicks you off of bonding due to the fact that you are not signed up for the higher bonded service. Your not doing anything wrong, that is just the nature of cable operations today.

actually Docsis 3.0 modems will lock onto all the DOCSIS channels if bonding is enabled on the node it does not go by tier.