andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere

Re: Globe & Other 2011-44 (UBB) articles

Not sure what all is going on but George Stroumboulopoulos has something going on with stop the meter
Cyborg994
join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC

Cyborg994 to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
First french coverage ! And from a major newpaper (not own by Quebecor, obviously).

»technaute.cyberpresse.ca ··· RAN1POS1

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

-
CBC today, on JF's petition to the GiC.

»www.cbc.ca/technology/st ··· zei.html

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to corster

Premium Member

to corster
said by corster:

Has anybody else noticed that the Globe seems much more critical of UBB now that they're not owned by CTVgm?

Did I miss a memo??? Who owns the Globe now? I still thought it was ctvgm....

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by nitzguy:

There was some share-shuffling when BCE bought CTV, likely for BCE to abide by the bare minimum of competition laws, such that BCE still has (I think) a minority stake in the Globe and in some others which were previously in that bundle.

Details ? - Not sure....

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

said by corster:

Has anybody else noticed that the Globe seems much more critical of UBB now that they're not owned by CTVgm?

85% of the globe was sold back to the Thomson family, BCE (through CTVgm) is holding on to a 15% minority stake but no longer has management control.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by corster:

said by nitzguy:

said by corster:

85% of the globe was sold back to the Thomson family, BCE (through CTVgm) is holding on to a 15% minority stake but no longer has management control.

Ahhh....The Thomson's....this makes sense because at this point in Canadian Media there aren't many companies who could have afforded to take this on.
Thanks for the info corster, greatly appreciated. It'll be nice to see a more objective viewpoint with the Globe and I may start reading it more than my Star/Sun combination that I read now.

The Memo
@videotron.ca

The Memo to Davesnothere

Anon

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by nitzguy:

There was some share-shuffling when BCE bought CTV, likely for BCE to abide by the bare minimum of competition laws, such that BCE still has (I think) a minority stake in the Globe and in some others which were previously in that bundle.

Details ? - Not sure....

Globe still has very slanted reporting as does CTV. And yes Bell still has stake in Globe.

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Ahhh....The Thomson's....this makes sense because at this point in Canadian Media there aren't many companies who could have afforded to take this on.
Thanks for the info corster, greatly appreciated. It'll be nice to see a more objective viewpoint with the Globe and I may start reading it more than my Star/Sun combination that I read now.

Deal closed last week or the week before... if you go on CTVgm's corporate site, you'll notice that there's no mention of the globe anymore other than in their corporate name, rather a giant empty space next to the CHUM logo where the Globe logo used to be, and on the G&M's site all the CTVglobemedia credits at the bottom are gone.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Speaking of CTV....

Look what the CAT just dragged in !

(or was it the Beaver ?)

CTV has FINALLY escaped (owner) BHell's Throttle, it seems, and here's their article about CRTC decision 2011-44 :

»swo.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo ··· =SWOHome

And HOLY NEUTRALITY, BATMAN, the story seems unbiased !

(and includes a quote from Rocky)
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Vancouver Sun's Followup

This is an editorial, but is still worthy of reading, IMNSHO.

»www.vancouversun.com/Opi ··· ory.html

It mentions some not so crazy rates which Telus currently charges their own end-users/customers for Internet.
quote:
For example, Telus is offering plans ranging from 13 gigabytes per month for a bundled price of $20, to 250 GB per month for $50.

I would not be offended at paying $50 for 250GB UNTHROTTLED usage per month, as long as any overage charges were fair and reasonable, cost-based and linear.

And correct me if wrong, but even this latest CRTC decision 2011-44 does not FORCE the other incumbent ISPs (such as Telus) to set low monthly caps, nor to charge any UBB at all - it only blesses BHell's plan to screw us thru THEIR Indie ISP partners, and recommends that the other incumbents submit tariffs if they wish to hop onto the BHell/CRTC bandwagon.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Another Vancouver Sun Article

This was published before the above posted article :

»www.vancouversun.com/tec ··· ory.html
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

George Strombo's Reaction to 2011-44

HIGH GREED INTERNET ! - ROFLMAO !

HE gets it - Talks a bit fast, but he covers what matters.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· sRCyS6PU

»www.strombo.com

»www.cbc.ca/strombo/
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510

Re: George Strombo's Reaction

said by Davesnothere:

HIGH GREED INTERNET ! - ROFLMAO !

HE gets it - Talks a bit fast, but he covers what matters.

You could tell that he's not reading a script, maybe just reading notes. But it looks like he's got a good idea of what's going on.

And is this the first time someone has called UBB "Bullshit" on TV?

EDIT: Good thing he's not with Much Music (aka BHell Music So You Think You Can Dance 24/7) anymore
jackie999
join:2008-08-13
Aurora, ON

jackie999 to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: Another Vancouver Sun Article

And another...I don't know where they get some of these columnists...
»www.vancouversun.com/col ··· ory.html

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere

Re: Vancouver Sun's Followup

said by Davesnothere:

And correct me if wrong, but even this latest CRTC decision 2011-44 does not FORCE the other incumbent ISPs (such as Telus) to set low monthly caps, nor to charge any UBB at all - it only blesses BHell's plan to screw us thru THEIR Indie ISP partners, and recommends that the other incumbents submit tariffs if they wish to hop onto the BHell/CRTC bandwagon.

Does not force the incumbents to do anything, but allows the incumbents to enforce UBB on wholesalers who use their networks, matching their published UBB caps, EVEN if they waive or discount their retail UBB.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by corster:

Does not force the incumbents to do anything, but allows the incumbents to enforce UBB on wholesalers who use their networks, matching their published UBB caps, EVEN if they waive or discount their retail UBB.

So it looks like you agree with what I said.

My thrust was that Telus, for example, does not HAVE to levy ANY form of UBB on ANYBODY because of CRTC Decision 2011-44, if they should choose to take the 'High Road' on this.

Depending on how this plays out, some of the other incumbents may well (by their actions) break ranks with Bell on making their own form of UBB into BHell's warped flavour of the beast.

Splitting the incumbents along ideological business models could benefit our cause, and so I say that us LOBBYING the OTHER incumbents to be fair and reasonable about UBB, well (like vitamins) it could not hurt and MIGHT help.

So let the lobbying begin !
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere to grunze510

Premium Member

to grunze510

Re: George Strombo's Reaction to 2011-44

said by grunze510:

You could tell that he's not reading a script, maybe just reading notes. But it looks like he's got a good idea of what's going on.

And is this the first time someone has called UBB "Bullshit" on TV ? ....

George is a smart cookie.

What I would REALLY like to hear him call UBB is BHellShit !

And then after the fact apologize and withdraw the comment, like lawyers do in court in TV crime dramas.
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Links to JF's UBB Submissions

Here's the link to the 'STAY' application which JF filed today with the CRTC (against all UBB-related CRTC decisions beginning with 2010-255, and against Bell's several UBB-related tariff apps) :

»/r0/do ··· tter.pdf

And this link is for his Petition to the GiC to overturn the CRTC UBB decision(s), filed on the 26th :

»/r0/do ··· tion.pdf

Please keep any comments about them in this thread SHORT, and put the longer ones in another thread.

BTW, there is a major thread already for the GiC Petition :

»Petition to the Governor in Council against UBB
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Reactions to JF's UBB Submissions

Here are some responses to JF's GiC Petition to Quash UBB, and/or to his CRTC motion to 'STAY' BHell's UBB proposals :

Followup motion to CRTC from Electronic Box (Indie ISP, aka eBox) to support JF Mezei's Stay of Execution motion (and regarding marketplace confusion of the most recent 'status quo').

»/r0/do ··· tion.pdf

Article by CBC (yesterday) :

»www.cbc.ca/technology/st ··· zei.html

Article by Financial Post (yesterday) :

»business.financialpost.c ··· -future/

Article by Mark Goldberg (today) :

»mhgoldberg.com/blog/?p=4314

This latest GLOBE/CTV article includes an interview with JF near the end :

»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 1887223/

»www.ctv.ca/generic/gener ··· 223.html

CTV seems to have gotten it from the Globe.
Davesnothere

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

UBB piece on CTV Lloyd Show

The CTV 11:00 National News has a segment on UBB tonight.
Davesnothere

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

from CTV National News - 2011 Jan 28(29)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· IkkZG4PQ

Thanks to Jman99 for posting the clip.

As I suspected, it came online at CTV.ca's video archive some time after the broadcast was completed, but your way was easier.

The content of the story was not completely accurate, but close enough on some points, and the mainstream exposure to the problem of 'UBB' is welcome.

Closing remarks were wrong that it "will not affect most people", because so many of us are so close to the edge of where BHell's warped nonlinear version of so-called UBB will kick our ass if we take too long wiping it while some video is streaming in the other room !

That's why BHell brazenly set Ontario's cap at 25 GB, because while they may not hit all of us right away, by any reasonable estimate their so-called UBB will hit most of us not very far down the line.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Re: Globe & Other 2011-44 (UBB) articles

Canoe (SUN Media / Quebecor / Videotron) has this article :

»money.canoe.ca/money/bus ··· 851.html
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

I have copied this post to here from a much longer thread in the TSI forum, a it will more likely get lost there.
said by Boni :

I don't know if this is the right place but I found this lawyer advertising that he is looking for anti-UBB group[s] to represent PRO BONO if they will go after Bell and the CRTC:

»www.davidellis.ca/2011/0 ··· epublic/

Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Liberal Polarize Against UBB - CBC

»www.cbc.ca/technology/st ··· eau.html
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Usage-based billing (UBB) - What do you think of the CRTC ruling ? - JF Mezei on CBC's Point of View

»www.cbc.ca/news/pointofv ··· ing.html

Good summary and several links to other CBC UBB articles.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

ARSTECHNICA_com's UBB Update :

»arstechnica.com/tech-pol ··· ling.ars
Davesnothere

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Globe Article : INTERVIEW with CLEMENT (Industry Canada Minister)

»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 1889321/
quote:
Liberal industry critic Marc Garneau, who said he will pressure Mr. Clement to throw the decision back to the regulator, said he doesn’t buy the large providers’ arguments about Internet network traffic and congestion.

“There’s more and more use,” Mr. Garneau said. “But to some extent, it’s also self-serving as well. And in this case, the ruling of the CRTC has gone too much in favour of the arguments presented by the big players.”

Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

This is the CRTC's link to JF's Application of 2011-01-28 to Stay CRTC Decision 2011-44 (UBB), and is our first public online proof that they received it from him.

»www.crtc.gc.ca/PartVII/e ··· 0_11.htm
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

Geist has a good overview

»www.michaelgeist.ca/cont ··· 611/125/