Re: Telephone Do Not Call List gets stop-gap funding

Nice!
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510 to jfmezei

to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

The highly illegal pictures from inside the INDU hearing (pictures are strictly verboten at committee hearings unless you are accredited journalist, but we didn't know that when we were there)

You've probably written more on this issue than any newspaper journalist has, so I think you can be considered a journalist here, and therefore the pics are nice and legal.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to jfmezei

Premium Member

to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

It's been hell. I've made ennemies and friends. Blood has been shed, insults flung about. But went from being an unkown to filing a petition to governor in council and causing headaches to a lot of people because of that

It's amazing what you've managed to accomplish JF, as an individual.

You may have future in the regulatory industry just yet, let's just hope it's for the good side.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Re: Globe & Other 2011-44 (UBB) articles

Hmmmm....

I wonder what new (or old) BS has B$ELL been trying to slip by us (again) while DSLR was in limbo ?
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
end this thread globe goes pay only and should suffer no free advertising

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 recommendation

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Yeah, I just heard about that on CBC TV news, streamed for free across my Internet feed.

But I cannot change the name of the thread, and the thread still serves a useful purpose, so let's let it be.
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Not much to report right now.

It's almost summertime.

UBB is still alive and well in most Canadian incumbent ISPs' retail packages.

New Indie ISP service offerings thru more of the CABLE providers such as Cogeco, by companies such as START Communcations, have widened the choices for Ontario consumers, in regard to avoiding unfair rates of UBB and tiny monthly usage caps, as well as letting more of us escape the clutches of some of the other ridiculous policies and fees which Bell is still allowed to shove down our throats using the DSL Indie ISPs' arms.

DSLR has recovered from their data centre failure and has implemented a new foolproof backup regimen.

JF is still taking his long bike ride in the snow, regarding posting here....

Another Jean has become the new CRTC chairperson.

FaceBORK's IPO has fizzled, but they are still able to afford StarBucks - the COMPANY - not just the coffee.

Bell is considering buying RIM. - And why not ? - they own someone in almost every other rung of the ladder.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Canada is now 145 years old !

Many BBQ's are a-cookin', and our Ontario heatwave has beaten back most of the mosquitoes.

JF is tweeting up a storm, but is still MIA from here.

RIM is considering changing its name to GRIM, to match its outlook.

GOUGEco just raised some of their rates this month, good capitalists that they still are.

'The Stones' turned 50 this week.

Today's high in Ottawa has been projected last night by CBC to be 35c.

It must be Miller Time.

Cheers, everyone !
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Telus says "BITE ME !"

Wind says "OK, but be warned - Our regulatory and legal department has very sharp teeth !"

»Wind Mobile wants CRTC hearing over Telus ownership

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

2 edits

El Quintron

Premium Member

Re: Telus says BITE ME !

OK?

LOL I just saw your subject line in my post history...

now I get it...

(Monday morning brain gulag seems a little worse on pseudo-Mondays... evidently shown by my bad tag-fu as well)

I think it's more like: "Now that we're here to stay, we're gonna make you pay for trying to keep us out" -- and good hunting to them, I say.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

....LOL I just saw your subject line in my post history....

I fixed my post anyway - after re-proofing it later, I figured that it needed a little something else.

But the part which is most interesting to ME (see above-posted linked thread/article) is that B$ELL has ALSO spoken up, saying that THEY want this hearing to be behind #####s.

Hmmmm.... My Spidey senses are tingling.

Mayhaps B$ELL cannot COPE with what may be revealed in next week's episode !
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Happy September, everyone !

Items of possible interest :

♫ ♬ "It's the most, wonderful time, of the year !" ♫ ♬ (Kids return to school.)

Bell continues to cause grief for individual Indie ISP customers.

Indie ISPs continue to diversify their upstream providers to include more and more Cablecos in Bell territory, and so will gradually depend less upon Bell for ANYTHING. - The public now has more choice, sometimes even without changing providers.

QC has a PQ gov't now, but a minority, with a woman in charge of QC for the 1st time.

ON still has a minority, since Dalton did not win both by-elections.

McDonalds opens 2 all veggie branches in India. - I'm curious what is served by our major fast food restaurants in other parts of the world than North America, and what it trastes like, but not enough so to travel there just to find out.

The 'IGNORE This Thread' thread in CanChat now has 110 pages. - You can ignore that if you wish.

JF is still MIA, though his tweeting skills have become advanced.

Windoze 8 may be just the thing needed for Linux to be taken seriously and to heart by the general public.

The 18+ month US presidential election process will be over soon - well, in 2 more months....

UBB still lurks at incumbent ISPs, but rates are somewhat lower than 2 years ago.

Many Indie ISPs charge UBB, but at even lower rates, after higher monthly usage caps.
Vomio
join:2008-04-01

Vomio to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Needed something good to drag this back up.

»gigaom.com/video/netflix ··· olation/

Got that right.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Internet is a Necessity

THIS looks like news :

»Harper Government declares Internet a Necessity

Unfartunately, apparently the CRTC does not yet see it that way.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

No More #### ?

Uh-Oh !

»The end of ####? - or CRTC orders telecom companies to open

»CRTC Transparency: Great step in the right direction for UBB

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com10 ··· 1026.htm
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Getting warmer....

»CNOC Files w/ CRTC Against Rogers
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Happy 2013 !
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Something about UBB, you say ?

»UBB, Overages, and malicious users

Yes folks, UBB is still here - lurking - waiting to rape the wallets of unsuspecting Internet users - and now, especially those of MOBILE Internet users - you know, the smart peeps who have been buying up the new generations of 'SMARTphones' so voraciously during the past couple of years - [BTW Happy 2nd birthday soon to THIS thread] - so fast that a new expression based on a variation of an old one had to be created - "They were selling like HotCakes SmartPhones !"

Anyway, THAT group of sheeple are the latest to be bitten by the Unfair Billing Bite of the incumbent service providers.

Not only a contract lock-in for us to be able to get the overpriced phones for closer to reasonable cost, but also the insane usage charges for data - and even worse if roaming !

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Davesnothere

MVM

to Davesnothere

Considering the limitations of how much bandwidth you can fit into the spectrum, I think UBB is a reasonable thing to have for mobile internet. The costs are still far too high at $10/GB (which seems typical), but unlimited mobile internet (over the cell network) doesn't really make sense considering how it's a shared medium.

Right now the concern is the current UBB charges on wholesale broadband being too high. Oh, they call it "CBB" instead, but gussy it up however you want, it's ultimately the same thing. And the costs are ridiculously high, like, 10x higher than they should be.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

....they call it "CBB" instead, but gussy it up however you want, it's ultimately the same thing.

And the costs [to the users] are ridiculously high, like, 10x higher than they should be.

Like Lipstick on a Pig, yeah.

And I'm not against capitalism either, but if the wholesale UBB/CBB cost was 1/10 of what it is now, it would be tolerable for most of us, as well as for the Indie ISPs, I reckon.

And the incumbent providers would STILL be making decent money, albeit moreso from the greater volume of GB of traffic per month which the average (or the Angelo, for that matter) type of consumer would be willing to generate on said providers' networks.
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

»CRTC decision for "Request for Enforcement of Speed-Matchin

»CNOC speed matching decision due next week
Davesnothere

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

From what I have read here, the CRTC's Speed Matching decision for CNOC's R&V did not go exactly the way that some of us would have liked.

The CBB (the new alias for UBB aka AVP) decision for wholesale circuit capacity prices to Indie ISPs is next.

If the CRTC makes the rates fall significantly for THAT, we will expect some better packages with more GB per month included, maybe even some unlimited on higher speeds, especially on cable.

And TSI may even muster up the courage to turn on Cable service in Cogeco-Land.

Marc commented on the Speed Matching announcement here »CNOC speed matching decision due next week , part way thru that thread, and discussion continued for the next several pages.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

From what I have read here, the CRTC's Speed Matching decision for CNOC's R&V did not go exactly the way that some of us would have liked.

Their CBB (the new alias for UBB aka AVP) decision for wholesale circuit capacity prices to Indie ISPs is next.

If the CRTC makes the rates fall significantly for THAT, we will expect some better packages with more GB per month included, maybe even some unlimited on higher speeds, especially on cable.

And TSI may even muster up the courage to turn on Cable service in Cogeco-Land.

Marc commented on the Speed Matching announcement here »CNOC speed matching decision due next week , part way thru that thread.

TSI in Cogeco-land is already in beta testing.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by resa1983:

They've been beta testing it in their own back yard for years.

Made no diff to us peasants of Eastern Ontario.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by resa1983:

They've been beta testing it in their own back yard for years.

Made no diff to us peasants of Eastern Ontario.

They've been running in Chatham. They've just opened up Cogeco agg.

tristen1230
join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
Teksavvy Cable is coming very soon. I am a beta tester. They have even stated it is ready to be done. They are just waiting for something so there will be no surprises in the future. (Not good surprises)

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by tristen1230:

Teksavvy Cable is coming very soon. I am a beta tester. They have even stated it is ready to be done. They are just waiting for something so there will be no surprises in the future. (Not good surprises)

Yes, I've been following the related threads, and while it's good to hear/read, it's also about damned time !

START proved that the AGG POI system works reliably, way back in last APRIL, not only for Cogeco's hookup but also for Rogers'.

I'd say that Marc owes Mister Rocca some huge box of Tim-Bits for sticking his head into those fires first.

TSI could have offered packages similar to START's quite a while ago already, and chose not to.

Sure, the monthly usage caps would not be as high as those which TSI is accustomed to offering, but would still be a lot better than forcing us to consider Cogeco retail (which I briefly used before moving to START), and still a bit lower in price to the consumer than Cogeco, with lower priced UBB than Cogeco's.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by tristen1230:

Yes, I've been following the related threads, and while it's good to hear/read, it's also about damned time !

START proved that the AGG POI system works reliably, way back in last APRIL, not only for Cogeco's hookup but also for Rogers'.

I'd say that Marc owes Mister Rocca some huge box of Tim-Bits for sticking his head into those fires first.

TSI could have offered packages similar to START's quite a while ago already, and chose not to.

Sure, the monthly usage caps would not be as high as those which TSI is accustomed to offering, but would still be a lot better than forcing us to consider Cogeco retail (which I briefly used before moving to START), and still a bit lower in price to the consumer than Cogeco, with lower priced UBB than Cogeco's.

WOW. This is such a load of bull. Pretty sure its the other way around if anything chum. We spent a massive amount of money, time, resources on the very decisions that eventually led to ATPIA existing at all. So much so that we took our eye off the ball and it took a few years to get back on track and we lost a soldier along the way to boot. We played a major role in CNOC getting created to continue to push and many have helped since. I don't want to diminish anybody who did help, including Pete, but there's no way I'm going to sit here and be lectured on what we should and shouldn't have done. The fact is that we did act. We acted big time. That has had consequences. A year ago I was on here getting blasted right left and center. The notion of expanding further into Cogeco territory and at the same time have to raise rates or swallow tens of thousands a month given that we had existing users in our own backyard. No thanks. I know what would have happened. It would have been an even bigger mess. It was a deliberate decision. That others have stepped up is a positive outcome of all the efforts over the past 5 years. It doesn't help anything to say such things, it wasn't possible for us to win every single fight alone. Others needed to help, its why we were so committed to setting up CNOC. For me personally, these comments are insult to injury. And frankly, you're ignoring the biggest hit on the chin that we did take in the last year.. DSL. Shit the last CRTC decision was basically designed to target us almost exclusively. They wanted us to pay crazy rates and all because we offered a great Internet connection with great usage options. The ultimate penalty for ten years of serving up exactly what you guys wanted.

Now that they have us basically assuming the position and can see that maybe they went too far, seems they may have realized that the problem was never us to begin with... We'll have to see what CBB rates look like but if nothing changes my friends. DSL is basically dead for anything useful. If they would apply the same CBB rates to all other incumbents. ATPIA would also be dead, like it is now with Cogeco I.e. no more competition for independent ISPs. So you'll forgive my reluctance to migrate anything to ATPIA when it's basically one throat to choke. One more bad decision and we're all screwed.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

WOW. This is such a load of bull. Pretty sure its the other way around if anything, chum. We spent a massive amount of money, time, resources on the very decisions that eventually led to ATPIA existing at all. So much so that we took our eye off the ball and it took a few years to get back on track and we lost a soldier along the way to boot. We played a major role in CNOC getting created to continue to push and many have helped since. I don't want to diminish anybody who did help, including Pete, but there's no way I'm going to sit here and be lectured on what we should and shouldn't have done. The fact is that we did act. We acted big time. That has had consequences. A year ago I was on here getting blasted right left and center. The notion of expanding further into Cogeco territory and at the same time have to raise rates or swallow tens of thousands a month given that we had existing users in our own backyard. No thanks. I know what would have happened. It would have been an even bigger mess. It was a deliberate decision. That others have stepped up is a positive outcome of all the efforts over the past 5 years. It doesn't help anything to say such things, it wasn't possible for us to win every single fight alone. Others needed to help, its why we were so committed to setting up CNOC. For me personally, these comments are insult to injury. And frankly, you're ignoring the biggest hit on the chin that we did take in the last year.. DSL. Shit the last CRTC decision was basically designed to target us almost exclusively. They wanted us to pay crazy rates and all because we offered a great Internet connection with great usage options. The ultimate penalty for ten years of serving up exactly what you guys wanted.

Now that they have us basically assuming the position and can see that maybe they went too far, seems they may have realized that the problem was never us to begin with... We'll have to see what CBB rates look like but if nothing changes my friends. DSL is basically dead for anything useful. If they would apply the same CBB rates to all other incumbents. ATPIA would also be dead, like it is now with Cogeco I.e. no more competition for independent ISPs. So you'll forgive my reluctance to migrate anything to ATPIA when it's basically one throat to choke. One more bad decision and we're all screwed.

[ Dave thinks he may have hit a nerve. ]

Marc, I have given TSI credit where it is due, time and time again (check my post history), and I still do (check my post history), but I sincerely feel that this time, and on this issue, it is not due.

I have been around here long enough to know how hard that you guys have worked for us, and you still do, and am aware of most of the ways, so when a couple of sentences from me get a wall of negativity posted in response, yeah, I guess I hit a nerve.

Yes, TSI has done all of the good deeds which you said, and continues to fight the good fight, but really, does that mean that I have to be judged wrong to say what I said above ?

Cannot we both be right at the same time ? (though about different things)

Which part of what I said is the 'main bull' for you, anyway ?

You COULD during the past number of months also have done what I said in my last 2 earlier posted paragraphs regarding Cogeco-Land, and if costed out carefully, you would not have risked/lost anything which START hasn't.

Admittedly, I am unaware of the dynamics, demographics, and costing of what you already had in place for your Chatham Cogeco-fed folks. - Are you saying that if you went ATPIA with Cogeco, that moving THEIR accounts to it at current costing would take youse to the cleaners ? - If yes to that, then I must agree/suggest that you have been too generous for too long to too many heavy users over the years, and as much as it may go against what you believe (and as I have on many other occasions preached on this next point over the past 2+ years - Longer than the age of THIS thread !), perhaps a little properly structured old-fashioned UBB, at ALL levels of the food chain, might well be the right thing for everybody.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

....you're ignoring the biggest hit on the chin that we did take in the last year.. DSL.

Shit, the last CRTC decision was basically designed to target us almost exclusively.

They wanted us to pay crazy rates and all because we offered a great Internet connection with great usage options....

In theory, and sure I'm prob'ly oversimplifying, that would seem to be all the more reason to diversify ASAP into Cable in as many areas as possible, to take some of the sting out of what happened to the DSL costs, and give yourselves more ways to skin the cat, no ?