Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere

Re: Globe & Other 2011-44 (UBB) articles

Hey Dave,

I wasn't able to get back to the board to reply sooner.

I read your original post and it wasn't positive at all. And I responded as such. Why shoot down the good things we did to justify the good things others did? To you, it's all good. It's a false premise and that's what I'm pointing out.

The notion that ATPIA and TPIA are different in any way except network configuration is just false... We setup with Cogeco something like three years ago. Had the CRTC proceedings not have taken place we would have launched in more areas by now. We were asking for more areas and we were literally denied due to the ongoing proceedings.

I think what you are actually saying is that we 'could' have migrated to aggregated a year ago and offered to their entire footprint and given those people more options. Just as, others could also, and they did. So I say to you, kudos for others who did, at their own risk, but we were already saddled with a massive amount of risk in a number of different ways. A year ago, we were in the process of moving due to a complete lack of space. It was truly a massive problem for us. We were in the middle of a massive stop sell. We were in the middle of having to raise rates on all our users. We had awful wait times. We had massive DHCP issues. It was a massive cluster fuck. (Pardon my French).

To have launched into the rest of the Cogeco territory at that point, with the incumbent that is literally the most difficult to deal with. The most expensive CBB wise as well. At a time where our cost completely went through the roof on the DSL side. Would have been absolutely reckless.

The part that hits the nerve for me is that it was a major pill to swallow to not deploy. And to have you stick it in my face like that, when all I was trying to do all along was to give people more options because I know how awful incumbents have been.. That what hits the nerve. I'm glad for you guys that it made sense for others to have launched it. But frankly, just like Pete didn't know it was going to take this long to get a decision from the CRTC, we too didn't know that and so we figured we'd wait a few months. We didn't know it was going to take this long.

So my point to you is that it wasn't because I didn't want to. It was because I really couldn't, not with everything else going on. For that, I feel like I let you down and I'm sorry for that. I really do wish it was us who could have offered it to you first. After all, you too had been waiting patiently for those proceeding to finish so you could have options.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by TSI Marc:

....you're ignoring the biggest hit on the chin that we did take in the last year.. DSL.

Shit, the last CRTC decision was basically designed to target us almost exclusively.

They wanted us to pay crazy rates and all because we offered a great Internet connection with great usage options....

In theory, and sure I'm prob'ly oversimplifying, that would seem to be all the more reason to diversify ASAP into Cable in as many areas as possible, to take some of the sting out of what happened to the DSL costs, and give yourselves more ways to skin the cat, no ?

Nah, Cogeco is the most expensive. Anybody who is selling Cogeco ATPIA is literally hurting their company.

We figured that just to break even on our existing subs, we would have had to raise rates by about $10/mth. How would you feel about raising rates like that on your neighbours when you just laid off 50 people? That's still true today, but now we feel like the CRTC decision, has got to be imminent, so we're going ahead with the migration this week coming up. And plus most of the others issues we had at the time last year are now under control largely.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

....We setup with Cogeco something like three years ago. Had the CRTC proceedings not have taken place we would have launched in more areas by now. We were asking for more areas and we were literally denied due to the ongoing proceedings.

I think what you are actually saying is that we 'could' have migrated to aggregated a year ago and offered to their entire footprint and given those people more options....

....To have launched into the rest of the Cogeco territory at that point.... ....would have been absolutely reckless.

The part that hits the nerve for me is that it was a major pill to swallow to not deploy....

....But frankly, just like Pete didn't know it was going to take this long to get a decision from the CRTC, we too didn't know that and so we figured we'd wait a few months. We [both TSI and Start] didn't know it was going to take this long.

So my point to you is that it wasn't because I didn't want to. It was because I really couldn't, not with everything else going on. For that, I feel like I let you down and I'm sorry for that. I really do wish it was us who could have offered it to you first. After all, you too had been waiting patiently for those proceeding to finish so you could have options.

Marc, I did not mean to trivialize all the good that you and TSI have done/catalyzed over the years (and the other things which were/are weighing on you and the company) by my dwelling on that one issue, but I guess I did just THAT, and given also that Start has already offered me what I needed, perhaps there was little reason for me to say as much about it.

I didn't use all that many words to express myself ( THAT time ), but it seems that the ones which I chose were excessively hurtful, and for that I apologize.

However, what I was expressing in the post in question (and which you fully quoted) was the all-too-common feeling of being neglected which is felt by SOOOOOO many of us in smaller communities about one or another good or service - and BTW I did include 3 big smilies after the Tim-Bits remark, the way that JF would when he was poking fun here.

Really, it was intended as some light-hearted ribbing, and I'm sorry if it went too far.

Yes, we were/are ALL waiting, toutes ensemble, for widespread cable A-TPIA (and some other things) to happen - yourself, Pete, myself, and other subscribers, some of whom have not said much lately, and others who have.

I sincerely hope - for EVERYBODY's sake - that the CRTC comes back soon with a sensible approach to CBB rates - OR, even tosses CBB out and sets some sensible bulk wholesale UBB rates for all of the incumbents to follow - I still maintain that using UBB is the easier math, provided that the greed does not kick in.

OK, I'll now go and make a coffee, and then read your PM.

Cheers !

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Dave. To me the thing that I felt was important to set straight was the notion that I knew you guys felt neglected and that I deliberately ignored that. That I didn't care. That's really the part that for me I have a problem with... It's the idea of taking something that is serious and that affects many people and to trivialize it and then to hold me accountable for it. When it wasn't at all the case that I didn't care or that I didn't take it seriously.

Anyway, it's all good. These are the consequences when they bugger up these decisions.. We all get tugged in one way or another. I think it's more a matter of clearing the air.. Reconcile what's happened and move on. I don't think this was ever discussed straight on like this either. And of course the same factors affected everyone in various ways... I'm sure for example, many we're trying to get in on legacy TPIA but couldn't as well...

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

....I don't think this was ever discussed straight on like this either....

So possibly this conversation of ours has done (or will do) some good, as all I think I had ever noticed in the past (in TSI forum here) were some rather vague hints about the reasons.

Yes, some of us felt/feel neglected on some things, and that is not really 'breaking news', hearing it from me.

No, I did not mean to imply that you do not care, and I think that I only had mentioned the company rather than yourself in my tougher sounding early comments last night.

I realize that other folks' input at work contributes to your business decisions, though given that you maintain an active prescence here sometimes serves to blur that distinction.

Don't stop posting.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

Well, the reasons were stated at the time... But that didn't help anybody... Nobody wanted to hear that. And plus, we were busy dealing with everything else. The costs are and were always the primary reason... If those made sense, like you say, why not open up the entire footprint and help take the pressure off DSL... The reason is because it would have added more pressure since ATPIA with Cogeco was worse that DSL still... And frankly, had others not come along, you guys might have kept up the pressure and we might have gone ahead sooner.. Who knows.

There's no way something like that gets done without my say so... When you point to the company, you're pointing at me. It was me who made those decisions. So naturally, I will backup why I did what I did...

I think we're talking about it now because we're in the middle of converting now... Until now there was always something else going on and no matter what was said.. We still weren't converting in your eyes.. So, it was falling on deaf ears. We were all invested in what's transpired over the last few years...

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

SUMMARY of CBB Changes

CRTC's CBB (grandchild of UBB) decisions of Feb 23, 2013

This is a nutshell of what happened :

Instead of reading to page 46+ of YAMT (Yet ANOTHER Monster Thread), just read THIS post (from Page 35) :

»Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB

Thanks, Resa !

OTOH, if you DO want to read what everyone thinks the decision will be, and potential the consequences of that, you should grab a supersized beverage and snack, get the comfy chair, and immerse y'self in the full thread, found in the TSI forum or here »Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB , and several others in the various DSLR forums.

Please watch the respective forums for informational posts from the various IISP execs, regarding revised service plans, after allowing them a few days to abuse some substances and crunch the numbers.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

More CBB Threads

»What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me?

»All This UBB , Usage based BS was such a waste

»CRTC Decision

»Bury the Industry Minister in complaints!

»Révision des tarifs pour les indépendants
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Karl's Koverage

»Why Are Canadian ISPs Temporarily Ditching Caps? [41] comments

»Study: Caps And Overages Are About Ripping You Off [57] comments
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Canadian News Media Articles

CBC : »www.cbc.ca/news/technolo ··· ing.html

Marc's comments from the CBC article : »Re: What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me?

CNOC's reaction : »Re: What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me?

More Links Pending....

Please feel free to post of any coverage you have read....
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Selected Posts from TSI Marc

Marc : »Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB - Page 33

Marc : »Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB - Page 37

Marc : »Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB - Page 39

Marc : »Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB - Page 40

Marc (on rates for Cogeco-Land) : »Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB - Page 40

Marc (on DSL in Bell Areas) : »Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB - Page 40
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

New Packages Announced

AFAIK, these have been introduced AFTER the CBB decision.

Please post if you believe that any of them were already being offered BEFORE, and post to let me know of any new plans which YOU find before I do.

Velcom : »Re: Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB - Page 36 - THE long thread - TSI forum

Acanac : »Re: What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me? - Page 6 - Canadian BroadBand forum

Videotron's Business packages : »Re: What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me? - Page 3 - Canadian BroadBand forum
Davesnothere

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

START's Analysis

Peter Rocca :

On Usage Averaging and Unlimited Packages : »Re: What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me?

On Cogeco's CBB rates : »Re: What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me?
Davesnothere

3 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

TSI MARCH Packages Announced

NOTE : These are only PROPOSED prices (and conditions) and are subject to revision - in fact, some HAVE been tweaked - First Cogeco, and then Bell network plans, with NEW THREADS/LINKS opened for Bell.

»[DSL] NEW RATES - Bell Ontario & Promo
»[DSL] NEW RATES - Bell Ontario - Update

»[DSL] NEW RATES - Bell Québec & Promo
»[DSL] NEW RATES - Bell Québec - Update

»[TekTalk] NEW TekTalk PROMO - Digital Home Phone

»[Cable] NEW RATES - Rogers
»[Cable] NEW RATES - Cogeco
»[Cable] NEW RATES - Vidéotron
»[DSL] NEW RATES - Telus
»[Cable] NEW RATES - Shaw

»[DSL] NEW RATES - Aliant

Also now included is info and discussion regarding OVERAGES pricing (UBB).

»Usage - overages
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

START's MARCH Packages

»Updated package preview
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

eBOX MARCH Packages

»Changes in packages
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Cogeco APRIL Changes

Cogeco is sending out emails telling their retail customers of cap increases on each's respective plan, effective April 1st.

I cannot help but wonder what ELSE they may have quietly changed.

»Re: Updated package preview

»Ultimate 30 Cap Increase From 175 > 275gb /Month
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Cogeco Network ATPIA Comparisons for Ontario

This table was given birth in 2 other threads :

»New ONTARIO Plans - Cogeco Network

Thanks, ShetiPhian.
Davesnothere

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Re: TSI MARCH Packages Announced

Further reductions in proposed rates on some TSI plans were posted by Marc during this weekend.

Revised links for the Bell changes :
»[DSL] NEW RATES - Bell Ontario - Update
»[DSL] NEW RATES - Bell Québec - Update

Cogeco revisions are in same thread as before (Modified FIRST POST, discussion later in thread) :
»[Cable] NEW RATES - Cogeco

Also now included is info and discussion regarding OVERAGES pricing (UBB).
»Usage - overages

so um
@videotron.ca

so um

Anon

So, um, Dave...

When are you making a spreadsheet and new topic to list all the prices from each reseller for each of the incumbents offerings? You know you waaannaaa....

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by so um :

So, um, Dave...

When are you making a spreadsheet and new topic to list all the prices from each reseller for each of the incumbents offerings? You know you waaannaaa....

It's a matter which is much on my mind.

When TSI brings their new packages out of Beta (all of them, not just those thru Cogeco), it will help, as they have the largest variety of packages now.

Also dunno which players from last Spring are still in the running, and what some of them have added, if anything.

AND, other than Cogeco, I have to review what the incumbents are now offering.

A big part of things THIS TIME will be who is offering A-TPIA sevice thru Cogeco & Rogers networks for Ontario.
Expand your moderator at work
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

The New (2013) CBB Rates (ON & QC)

SUMMARY :

Monthly capacity rate per 100 Mbps :

Bell (ON & QC) $1,036.49 (down from $2,213 interim rate)
Rogers $1,400 (up from $1,251)
Cogeco $2,556 (down from $2,695)
Videotron $2,031 (up from $1,890)

CRTC CBB Decision Documents :

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archi ··· 3-73.htm
»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archi ··· 3-72.htm

Sources (Page 19 of this thread) :

»Major CRTC decision next week. - CBB
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

There's a NEW Kid in Town

»VMedia Launches

More players might mean more competition, and that cannot be a bad thing.

In addition to TV, this company is also offering Internet service thru all of the Ontario & Quebec incumbents' networks.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by Davesnothere:

More players might mean more competition, and that cannot be a bad thing.

Too much can hurt just as bad as too little.

The market does not benefit from having 1000 micro-ISPs offering fundamentally the same thing at practically the same prices. Such a situation would reduce each ISP's market share and increase the proportion of cost overhead per gross dollar, leaving even less margin for differentiation.

If there was actual competition between incumbents including restructuration to streamline their own costs, I doubt TPIAs would survive for very long.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

3 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Various Semi-Sorted Recent Links

»What does the CBB ruling mean to you and me?

»Warning about Cable Gator in Toronto area

»anyone heard of or use gocablesolutions

»Allstream --> SOLD to Accelero

»MTS going... going... going

»Bell loses class-action in NWT case over 911

»Northerner sues bell for billed 911 fees for nonexistant 911

»Acanac TV (aka Zazeen) ; any good/bad experiences?
Davesnothere

3 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

More VMedia topics :

»VMedia launches Premium Basic Plus. Finally!

»A Small VMedia Perk While We Wait to Launch Premium Basic Pl

»VMedia - Is the VMedia box wireless?

»VMedia Customers Switching To Aggregated POIs

»VMedia Partners With Canada Computers!

»@ GeorgeBurger VMedia packet loss, high latency spikes

»Beware: Lackluster experience with Vmedia/Cogeco

»Vmedia Payment Methods?

»VMedia Launch of VBlog, new Main Menu and Newsletter

»VMedia and our Rogers-Based Internet Service-Update

»VMedia Launches
Davesnothere

3 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

WASSUP with Wireless

»CRTC issues Wireless Code effective December 2

»Mobile Carriers Challenge CRTC Again

»Industry Canada wireless spectrum transfer rules

»Wireless auction hinders new wireleess entrants

»Wireless competition done right

»Verizon to buy Wind Mobile ?

»Wind sells nano sims for Iphone 5

»Orascom backs away from Wind bid

»Wind considers purchasing Mobilicity and Public sold

»EU to end mobile roaming charges next year

»Mobilicity - SOLD! .....to Telus
Davesnothere

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

START's Newest Packages

»Upcoming package changes - sneak preview

»Unlimited plan policy confusion (and clarification)
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Bell Increases Vertical Integration

....and their Market Shares.

»CRTC Approves BCE takeover of Astral Media

2nd time's a charm, I guess.