Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

3 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

A new kind of SCAM

"Beware of SCAMS !"

Of course that is always good advice about ANYTHING in life.

REAL Internet providers may take your money and sometimes not give the quality or quantity of service to which a subscriber is (or FEELS that they are) entitled, and UBB was much about THAT.

However, lately there have been 'pretend' ISPs which advertise service, take a subscriber's money for setup, and then more or less "Exit, Stage Left !"

Here are some links to especially active (and lengthy) DSLR threads about this matter :

»Warning about Cable Gator in Toronto area

»Westlinkcable.net and Westlink Cable is a scam

cable4me
@teksavvy.com

cable4me

Anon

»www.reuters.com/article/ ··· 20130925
"Canadian regulators team up to watch telecoms pricing"

>"We look forward to continuing to work together towards our mutual goal of benefiting Canadian consumers by ensuring access to services at competitive prices," Competition Commissioner John Pecman said in a statement.

>The statement, issued jointly by the Competition Bureau and the broadcasting and telecoms regulator, the Canadian Radio-Television and Communications Commission (CRTC), said the two agencies would cooperate on issues including training and exchange of information.

Are they going to do something else other than just watching? They seems to suffer from the delusion that Dr. Evil's "one million dollars" or offering them a comfort chain is a big deterrent.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Worth noting that reuters reporter used the words "affordable prices" where the press release said "competitive prices" ...

There's a HUGE difference between the two, especially in todays marketplace where competitive means something entirely different from what it REALLY means.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Very true.

My best example of what 'competitive' pricing means is the slap in the face that I get every time that I pull into a gas station - or even drive BY one.

Rarely are the prices different, and if so, then not for long !
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

The Latest Effort to get Incumbents to 'Play Fair'

While not exactly UBB, nonetheless getting past these issues is paramount to the effective operation of any IISP.

»[Cable] CRTC - CNOC Part 1 Cable Carrier Services & Update

As Indie ISP subscribers, we wholeheartedly back the CNOC on this submission.