uniqs
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

Don't underestimate AT&T

Verizon should have kept its mouth shut and pretended unlimited would be available. End of story. 6 months later, they announce a free restructure and unlimited is gone. Perhaps the unlimited will be so short lived that lawyers called the Verizon COO and told him to issue a correction ASAP to prevent accusatiosn of false advertising.

However, this is good for Apple because by creating a sense of urgency, people will flock to get their iphone on day 1 because they fear if they arrive a few days later, unlimited will be gone. And long lines of people waiting to get tgheir iphones will be good publicity for Apple.

Hopefully Verizon will be prepared to handle this rush.

Don't understimate AT&T though. They may have sat on their laurels when they had the iphone monopoly, but now that it is gone, don't be surprise if they become competitive all of a sudden.

AT&T could selectively offer unlimited to customers who would otherwise have defected to Verizon.

And AT&T could actively try to send its heaviest users to Verizon. They woudl reduce the load on AT&T's network and cause congestion at Verizon.

A company that *appears* stupid can surprise a lot of people with very smart moves all of a sudden.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

The only interesting topic post so far. Thanks jfmezei.

So, all the predictions that Verizon would save the day for unlimited 3G data plans and vanquish the evil AT&T are blowing away in a puff of smoke.

In a post after the Verizon iPhone announcement I said:
quote:
We'll see where Verizon goes once they get millions of new iPhone users, whom AT&T found consumed data a lot more than the average "other" smartphone user. Also I'll point out that a majority of the AT&T iPhone users are still on the $30 unlimited plan.

Yes, if you're an outlier smartphone user who sucks down 12GB/month, you absolutely should try to find a provider who lets you do that on their standard plan. My guess is that in 2011 those will get increasingly hard to find. We'll see!

Looks like my guess was right.

Verizon has made an interesting move, though. They went to school on AT&T and are offering an initial unlimited plan, but unlike AT&T, are already saying it's for a limited time only. AT&T did not have to do that since they were the only game in town.

It looks like Verizon is trying to make it easy for current AT&T iPhone users to switch, especially those with a current grandfathered unlimited plan (which is the majority of iPhone subs at AT&T). Those people would see themselves downgrading for the sake of switching. This move eliminates that objection.

So, bottom line, Verizon is making a tactical move to get the biggest bang out of the early movers, but their strategic plan is exactly metered data plans, just like AT&T.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

, but unlike AT&T, are already saying it's for a limited time only. AT&T did not have to do that since they were the only game in town.

So what was AT&T's "limited time"... several years?? .. your post sounds much like an entitled's way of thinking.

You guys all giving AT&T no pass, yet Verizon some credit have to remember who it was that started the idea to start mixing up how people paid for the internet, including the whole "charging providers to send content to their customers".. I do believe it was Verizon.

Verizon is no saint of a company.. they stir the shit, sit back, wait for AT&T to make the move, capitalize on it, appear to be the savior and then wreck everyone's world.

Seriously, Verizon is just as much a piece of crap company as the next.
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

MyDogHsFleas

Premium Member

said by fiberguy2:

, but unlike AT&T, are already saying it's for a limited time only. AT&T did not have to do that since they were the only game in town.

So what was AT&T's "limited time"... several years?? .. your post sounds much like an entitled's way of thinking.

That was my point. AT&T was entitled since they were the only game in town. Since Verizon is coming in second they can't play as many games. They are essentially riffing off AT&T, similar plans, with some twists to entice iPhone users to move to Verizon.