O Rly?
Premium
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA
reply to sholling

Re: Model For Calif - Sweden's School Choice Voucher System

said by sholling:

going to elementary and Jr high in some lovely Santa Ana neighborhoods

I finished high school in a lovely Santa Ana neighborhood at Bristol/Edinger...
--
.:|:. aztec being aztec...™

DanHo
Premium
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA

Poor, poor boy. Were the nuns mean to you? Or the priests really friendly with you?
--
..-. ..- -.-. -.- / --- ..-. ..-. / .- -. -.. / -.. .. .

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium
Murrieta, CA

said by DanHo:

Poor, poor boy. Were the nuns mean to you? Or the priests really friendly with you?

No nuns. Only 1 priest for a teacher. Then there was Father Steve who did all the school prayers and pregame prayers...
--
.:|:. aztec being aztec...™

DanHo
Premium
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA

When did you graduate? I went to Fountain Valley (Class of '90).
--
..-. ..- -.-. -.- / --- ..-. ..-. / .- -. -.. / -.. .. .

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium
Murrieta, CA

'96...

jig

join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA
reply to sholling

then why, exactly, are you a proponent for a voucher system?

all the systems have failed here and there. it's pretty clear that the public system has succeeded, and continues to do so, in many places, just not where the schools and parents are so overloaded that things slip. i'm not sure it's even a cultural thing more than it is too high a concentration of bad circumstances in some areas.

poor areas have less parental time. that means you double up on the teacher's time or you lose kids, period. too bad that the schools are located in poverty areas (where the poor kids are), where the tax revenue is too low to even support a minimum number of teachers. per-child vouchers don't fix that problem, and probably just make it worse.

aside to dog - LAUSD was about 11k/student maybe 2 years ago. is your number very current? also, any idea what the grace period is for a new charter school to meet state minimum requirements? one or two years, or is it immediate?

as far as reaching into pockets for education.... do you want to pay for the school, or so you want to pay for the prison, police, and theft insurance? you live here, so you're pretty much stuck with one or the other. plus, if you think it's bad that you have to pay when you don't have any children, think how bad i feel that i HAVE children, have to pay through the nose to give them their own reasonable education, and STILL have to pay a little extra so that the people they go to school with are educated enough not to bring pistols to school in their backpacks, at least not every day, whether their parents have the time to teach self control or not.

you have it way easy. your skin in the game is easily retracted.
--
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

dogma
XYZ
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV
kudos:1

said by OC Register--> »articles.ocregister.com/2010-06-···on-pupil :

California ranks 23rd in per-pupil spending
June 29, 2010|By SCOTT MARTINDALE

California ranks 23rd among U.S. states in per-pupil spending on public education, below the national average of $10,259, according to newly released financial data from the U.S. Census Bureau.

The average $9,863 that California spent per student is based on data from the 2007-08 school year – the latest year for which financial figures are available – and thus does not reflect the dramatic cuts in state spending over the past two years that have decimated local school districts' budgets.

Take a look at this .pdf:
»cbp.org/documents/CaliforniaBudg···Less.pdf

It is important to note that California School spending is directly tied (a % of) to State tax revenue.