spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Alex33241
join:2010-08-10
West Des Moines, IA

Alex33241

Qwest Des Moines/West Des Moines

I subscribe to the 7mbps down / 512(?)up ADSL service here in West Des Moines. Using the blue Moto 3347 wireless router with the "upgraded" firmware Qwest pushed out late in the summer. I have had little, if any, problems in the last three years. However, in the last two weeks, my latency and d/l speeds have sucked. 400+ ms (as tested on DSLR, Speakeasy, speedtest.net, etc) and no more than 1.2 mbps d/l.

Funny... if I go to the Qwest speed checker, »kansas-city.speedtest.qwest.net/, I get 100-120 latency and 5-6+ mbps.

Are other central Iowan Qwesters having issues too, or is it just me?

Stephanie - what's going on here?
mojo30
join:2005-05-29
Des Moines, IA

mojo30

I'm seeing the exact same thing in Des Moines. See my posts and ping graphs in the thread linked below. I'm emailed the talktous address but didn't hear back for a couple weeks.

»high latency during peak hours

Zshen
join:2002-06-10
Des Moines, IA

1 edit

Zshen to Alex33241

to Alex33241
Des Moines is the latest city to fall victim to the piss poor foresight that is Qwest Network Planning.

I spoke to a lead Engineer out of Omaha last week about this. They are currently working on it and there is no ETR. It was confirmed that this is an internal bandwidth issue with Qwest and not overloaded RTs/DSLAMs.

dandiele
@qwest.net

dandiele

Anon

I live in des moines near merle hay mall. im supposed to have 40mbps down and 20mbps up. I get around 10-15mbps down around 8-10 up. its pathetic. of course qwest calls it congestion. except one person on there online chat said it was a terminal that needs a software update and there waiting for the manufacturer for the update. its crap thats all i know.

Sammo
@qwest.net

Sammo

Anon

Hey, I live near the Merle Hay area too, and getting the same prob. Actually I live in Beaverdale.

My ping is terrible terrible - 700ms.

On the chat with Qwest tonight the tech said it's a "known equipment issue" that will be fixed "in a few weeks". I asked for more details and got none.

I'll probably call the Qwest office tomorrow and ask for a free month, and if they don't I'll contact Freese-Notis or ISU Net and see what they can do for me.
mojo30
Des Moines, IA

mojo30

Click for full size
I also live in Merle Hay / Beaverdale and I'm seeing the same thing you guys are. Here's tonight's ping graph I just uploaded to the other thread.
darth_maul25
join:2004-06-11
Urbandale, IA

darth_maul25 to Sammo

to Sammo
Click for full size
I'd avoid Freese Notis, at least based on their own site which says they partner with Qwest for the ADSL service. If that's the case, then you gain nothing as you'd still be using the crappy Qwest network.

iahawkfan16
@qwest.net

iahawkfan16 to Alex33241

Anon

to Alex33241
I'm in western Urbandale and experiencing the same slow speeds. Some indian gal tonight told me it could be up to 2 weeks before it is fixed. I work out of the home and this is not acceptable. Will be asking for a free month until it is fixed.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to Sammo

to Sammo
said by Sammo :

I'll probably call the Qwest office tomorrow and ask for a free month, and if they don't I'll contact Freese-Notis or ISU Net and see what they can do for me.

I asked Qwest if I changed to another ISP, if that will improve the congestion and latency, they said it would not.

So can this be a problem with the DSL -> ISP connections?

Zshen
join:2002-06-10
Des Moines, IA

1 edit

Zshen to Alex33241

to Alex33241
FYI, Qwest reached out to me yesterday and mentioned the issues in Des Moines should be resolved. My pings last night seem to agree.

As far as switching ISP's, you can only do so if you are on the ADSL system and it WILL change your network performance through the network because once you hit the DSLAM, you are then switched over (ATM) to the provider of choice.

Now if your issues are local (DSLAM to last mile), then your SOL as Qwest owns the line and you have no other choice for line provider.
mojo30
Des Moines, IA

mojo30

My pings have calmed down as well.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink

Sorry about the delayed response, Steph here from Qwest,

It does sound like some of you have started to see a resolution, anyone who needs to have someone look at their service please email me at talktous@qwest.com (attention Steph in the subject line) and include your billing phone number/account number, billing address and best contact number.

thank you

Stephanie Lake
Manager, Talk To Qwest Team

"At Qwest your account information is confidential and protected by law, so I need your permission to access the account.”

bufferoverru
Premium Member
join:2002-12-10
Ottumwa, IA

bufferoverru to Alex33241

Premium Member

to Alex33241
I am also receiving terrible speeds during the evenings and weekends. Have been moved DSLAM ports twice and gateways at least three times. A tech has been out and verified my line. My DSL is routed out of the Des Moines area. Reverse DNS has always shown desm.qwest.net. Tonight I was told by Qwest that there is congestion in the Des Moines area and there is no ETA. So basically my 7/896 line which used to be 6.2/750 is now 2/750. There has been speed issues since December. It is too bad I'm still in contract or I would dump them!