spc
Search similar:

uniqs
crimsona
join:2011-01-13
Vancouver, BC

crimsona

Telus set to charge overage... sometime

People switching to Telus to escape Shaw - don't sign contracts that are too long.

From their Telus Support Twitter feed: »twitter.com/telussupport

Read conversation:
»bettween.com/telussuppor ··· /stefanz

The important part:
TELUSsupport @stefanz The limits may be different and suit your needs better - Ryan

stefanz @TELUSsupport so overage charges for any High Speed you have incl Optik then there's no point switching I guess

TELUSsupport @stefanz Yes it does include OPTIK - Ryan with @TELUSSupport

stefanz @TELUSsupport since you only mentioned "High Speed"

stefanz @TELUSsupport well I don't care about throttling since no other ISP does it as well... so overage for Optik as well?

TELUSsupport @stefanz We also have download limits on all our Internet products currently as well. However we will not 'throttle' our internet products

TELUSsupport @stefanz I spoke with my ADSL services further - In the future, we will be charging for overage charges for our High Speed product.
river_ratbc
join:2007-09-21

river_ratbc

this is nothing new...Telus has limits, but doesn't enforce them.
telususer
join:2006-03-05
Burnaby, BC

telususer to crimsona

to crimsona
I don't know about you people, but in January I have noticed my connection starting to show some stress in the evenings. I think the Shaw jumpers in my area are starting to affect my connection. I kinda hope Telus announces something soon.
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k

said by telususer:

I don't know about you people, but in January I have noticed my connection starting to show some stress in the evenings. I think the Shaw jumpers in my area are starting to affect my connection. I kinda hope Telus announces something soon.

Telus feeds all dslams with a 3gigE LAG bundle, so if there is a problem, it would either be in the link to the ERX or somewhere in the core.

zalternate
join:2007-02-22
freedom land

1 edit

zalternate to crimsona

to crimsona
With all the crap going on right now with usage based billing, Telus is much better off to be their own company and give the users what they want. No throttling(no DPI) and a decent cap. But make some plans for people who use a lot of data. But maybe some new plans will show up later this year, to do with high usage clients that moved over from the Shaw/Rogers.

But for those outside of the Telus area, May a massive lawsuit restore your Internet to what it was before a couple of Rich People decided you don't matter anymore and are nothing but a cash machine.
And fire the CRTC people as well. »dissolvethecrtc.ca/

I'll have to check in a month or so, to see how far Canada has dropped down the world Internet speeds/caps ladder. We were at about number 25 of 30 and soon to be heading down to 50 or so.
»gizmodo.com/5390014/inte ··· visually

June 2009.
»www.michaelgeist.ca/cont ··· 019/135/
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to crimsona

to crimsona
That just seems to be a telus employee towing the company line as seen on their website. I would take it with a grain of salt.

As to the poster who actually wants telus to enforce caps and charge overage, are you serious. Telus is the last major ISP in Canada to remain unlimited/unthrottled. Wouldn't you rather telus attempts to fix the speed issue?
HDman50
join:2010-12-22

HDman50

said by zod5000:

That just seems to be a telus employee towing the company line as seen on their website. I would take it with a grain of salt.

As to the poster who actually wants telus to enforce caps and charge overage, are you serious. Telus is the last major ISP in Canada to remain unlimited/unthrottled. Wouldn't you rather telus attempts to fix the speed issue?

Zod here is a Telus Spokesman (Director) statement which was 1 week after a previous CTV statement and totally contradicts himself. Here is what I read and talked about on another thread:

TELUS does implement overage charges

Same Telus Director in the Edmonton Journal with the following to say just a week late on, on UBB: »www.edmontonjournal.com/ ··· ory.html

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Telus has always had data-transfer limits enforced at its discretion, company spokesman Jim Johannsson said.
"If you bump into them once in a while, we just kind of ignore that, but if you consistently bump into them, you could end up facing a bill of $2 a gigabyte for the overuse. To put it into perspective though, almost nobody bumps into those caps. It's pretty rare."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So they will not be removing them from their website - so for those people who every month go over your alloted amount you're going to be in trouble...
Quite the turn around from flat out comments before eh.

1 million internet customers and nobody goes over? gimmie a break!
river_ratbc
join:2007-09-21

river_ratbc to crimsona

to crimsona
the speed issue could be a fault specific to his line, and not related to more people using Telus.

Rivalman
Rival
join:2004-01-18

Rivalman

Ya, it's weird, I'm not sure either. But, I've noticed similar issues where in the evening my pings are not as consistent as they used to be, however, my download and upload rates are rock solid.

Typically between 6pm to 11pm my pings can start to jump a little. It's weird because it's a fairly new thing. That being said however, Telus pings jumping are only a minor, my history with Shaw had theirs being much more volitile. So no worries yet, I just hope they fix it up!

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by Rivalman:

Ya, it's weird, I'm not sure either. But, I've noticed similar issues where in the evening my pings are not as consistent as they used to be, however, my download and upload rates are rock solid.

This has always been the case. TELUS has experienced route saturation many times over the years: they had one instance last year where a core router was massively overloaded for 3 or 4 months.

Really has nothing to do with people jumping from Shaw.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to HDman50

to HDman50
said by HDman50:

said by zod5000:

Zod here is a Telus Spokesman (Director) statement which was 1 week after a previous CTV statement and totally contradicts himself. Here is what I read and talked about on another thread:

Well not, but I'm talking from my experience as a telus customer over the years. Everyone's acting like this is the first time telus has answered questions like this regarding their caps. Even before the whole shaw hooplah, if you called and asked, they always said "we reserve the right to charge overage at anytime"

telus has a history of support whats on the web page, but in practice doing something else. Maybe they want to discourage heavy users from moving over, maybe they're trying to soften the blow for something they have planned in the future.

I'm not saying they won't activate them in the future, its a pretty tempting dangling carrot for them. But with telus' past track record, I doubt there in any hurry to do it.

I'm not really sure why anyone expects most telus' staff to say anything but the companies official statements (which for years haven't reflected their business practice).

hohumm
@173.0.6.x

hohumm

Anon

said by zod5000:

I'm not saying they won't activate them in the future, its a pretty tempting dangling carrot for them. But with telus' past track record, I doubt there in any hurry to do it.

I'm not really sure why anyone expects most telus' staff to say anything but the companies official statements (which for years haven't reflected their business practice).

It's different this time because of the precedents set with the CRTC concerning an incumbent telcos ability to cap their resellers (like teksavvy) while forcing pricing symmetry onto them. So I'm not sure how you can expect a profit-seeking machine not to take the loot & control their competitors.
beachside
join:2009-06-28

beachside

said by hohumm :

It's different this time because of the precedents set with the CRTC concerning an incumbent telcos ability to cap their resellers (like teksavvy) while forcing pricing symmetry onto them. So I'm not sure how you can expect a profit-seeking machine not to take the loot & control their competitors.

Because charging overage fees is not necessarily the most profitable business model.

hohumm
@173.0.2.x

hohumm

Anon

said by beachside:

Because charging overage fees is not necessarily the most profitable business model.

I don't know how it ranks in terms of profitability, but I'd say it's up there as one of the more profitable business models, especially when the largest players enforce low caps & high overage fees onto everyone including resellers' clients.
TrainAss
join:2011-01-26
Canada

TrainAss to beachside

to beachside
Yet Shaw seems to think that it is.
beachside
join:2009-06-28

beachside

said by TrainAss:

Profit may not be Shaws' motivation. It could be an attempt to pamper an overcrowded network. Or it could be an attempt to preserve cable customers by making IP-based alternatives (eg Netflix) less appealing.

We cannot assume that Telus will behave in the same way and we cannot assume that the factors impact profitability are the same for Shaw as they are for Telus.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000

said by beachside:

said by TrainAss:

Profit may not be Shaws' motivation. It could be an attempt to pamper an overcrowded network. Or it could be an attempt to preserve cable customers by making IP-based alternatives (eg Netflix) less appealing.

We cannot assume that Telus will behave in the same way and we cannot assume that the factors impact profitability are the same for Shaw as they are for Telus.

I agree. Telus never jumped on the bandwidth throttling bandwagon when all the other ISPs did. Telus seems to have done a better job in constantly upgrading their network. They should be able to find an advantage with that.

If they really want to start going after shaw customers, telus could implement overage, but make tv customers exempt. That way when they take shaw's customers, they get the tv business too

I'd rather they not change it at all, but if they had do, and did something like above, i'd move my tv service over.

hohumm
@173.0.10.x

hohumm

Anon

said by zod5000:

Telus never jumped on the bandwidth throttling bandwagon when all the other ISPs did. Telus seems to have done a better job in constantly upgrading their network.

There is a reason for this perception... Telus has kept most of its users for the past decade stuck at 1.5 Mbps or 3 Mbps while cable companies have been pushing 5-10 Mbps (& more) during the same time frame. Higher speeds with Telus are slowly increasing whenever they manage to upgrade their equipment you think they're so good at upgrading... Another thing I've noticed is they haven't managed to implement a bandwidth monitor, mine is still stuck at 0 ever since I was upgraded to 6 Mbps last fall and I don't have TV service with them.

timerider2
join:2010-12-19

timerider2

A usage meter stuck on "0" is never a bad thing.

As far as TELUS being outdated, I'm getting faster and more consistant speeds with TELUS than I ever got with SHAW.

(TELUS Turbo 15mbps vs SHAW Extreme 15mbps)

Canadianguyy
@telus.net

Canadianguyy

Anon

I hope Telus sticks to its guns. I'll gladly support a company that isn't out to restrict user freedoms.

Mike1
@telus.net

Mike1 to timerider2

Anon

to timerider2
I can vouch for the speed as well. Telus > Shaw 15mbps .

Shaw would average 7 or 8 and sometimes hit 15 but Telus is boom 13.5mbps Any time anyday

danf
join:2005-11-10
Abbotsford, BC

danf to crimsona

to crimsona
I was curious so I logged into my account today. It's still zero, but I noticed there's a "new" (as in not there since I last checked it well over a year ago) section called "Usage Reminders".

It has 5 columns:
-Acknowledged at
-High Speed Service Plan
-Service Plan Monthly Usage Allowance (GB)
-Additional Purchased Monthly Usage (GB)
-% of High Speed Usage Allowance Consumed

So maybe they're saying no, but their website is getting prepared for it. It says my plan is 125GB. I'd have to download > 4 GB a day to hit that. While I have no idea what I use, it certainly isn't 4 gigs a day...

Edit: I'd upgrade to the turbo 25 internet-only plan if it were available in my area...
rewrite2
join:2008-06-29

rewrite2

i have just logged into my account but I could not find the section you are seeing there. Under my "Usage reminders" section, all it shows was "Usage reminders On". I am sure this section was like that since I signed up telus internet last Feb. (now I have optik tv though so it might be different now from internet only plan. )

danf
join:2005-11-10
Abbotsford, BC

danf

Click for full size
Account screen
Click for full size
Detail
Whoops, I forgot a step. I clicked on Previously viewed usage reminders.

I've taken a screenshot.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

1 edit

bbbc to crimsona

to crimsona
Thank you danf. This is proof that TELUS is gearing up for UBB. TELUS is laying low because of the potential bad press and customer grab (with term / contract) from Shaw right now. Think the key to your screenshot is the Additional Purchased Monthly Usage.

zalternate
join:2007-02-22
freedom land

3 edits

zalternate to danf

to danf
My account shows GB usage and the usage reminders is on, but even the couple of times I went slightly over(7GB's extra), the Telus system never notified me And I never got charged for extra GB.
So like some things. It exists but is not being used. And I don't know how long the 'usage reminders' section has been there(and it's blank in all the sections).

The "Additional Purchased Monthly Usage" would just be what overage past the unenforced GB cap, could potentially be charged to the user.

Manatrite
Shattered Reflection
join:2003-03-02
Canada

Manatrite to bbbc

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

Thank you danf. This is proof that TELUS is gearing up for UBB. TELUS is laying low because of the potential bad press and customer grab (with term / contract) from Shaw right now. Think the key to your screenshot is the Addtional Purchased Monthly Usage.

That's what I thought initially. However, I believe they want to implement UBB to kill their competitors that is piggy-backing on their network. If such decision is made, it's likely being influenced by Bell.

You can start to see Teksavvy for example, could be in real trouble in the future. They won't be making as much money anymore.

It's still unclear whether Telus will impose UBB on their customers. You are right to say proof is starting to develop.

bbbc
NorthAmerica

3 edits

bbbc

said by Manatrite:

They won't be making as much money anymore.

You think an indie ISP makes a ton of money?

If such decision is made, it's likely being influenced by Bell.

I don't get why you guys think TELUS is so warm and fuzzy. Is it those critter commercials developed by the guy in jail for smuggling?

It's still unclear whether Telus will impose UBB on their customers. You are right to say proof is starting to develop.

TELUS has to enforce hard caps on their own customers to be able to force UBB on wholesale ISPs. TELUS is trying to keep the good press up right now while pissed Shaw folks are migrating to TELUS and being put under contract / term.

Manatrite
Shattered Reflection
join:2003-03-02
Canada

Manatrite

Teksavvy does make decent revenue. I saw their revenue numbers for 2009 somewhere in the magazine. It's in the ten millions annually and they have more than 50 people employed. Although it's no where at the corporate level, that's still pretty good money for a company.

UBB just made going to smaller ISPs more expensive so obviously loss of revenue will take a hit on the smaller ISPs.

bbbc
NorthAmerica

bbbc to crimsona

to crimsona
The TELUS corporate line in the media, other than a recent one where they hinted at bandwidth hogs, has been a hands off approach. It looks as though those hands have been all over their billing system though. This reminds me of Premier Campbell and the whole HST situation, stating they won't do it, until its implemented.

I'm just passionate in this thread because the online shills keep trying to convince the masses that TELUS isn't going to do anything with regards to UBB.