site

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
This is a sub-selection from Fixed It For You!

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to n2jtx

Re: Fixed It For You!

GPS is still new to consumers..... give me a break. ever hear of a map? Everyone should learn to use them. What happens when your GPS goes out in the middle of a trip??

seanb61

@cogentco.com

You stop at the first electronics store you see and buy a new GPS!

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

and like i said. you need to learn how to read a map. what happens if there isn't one anywhere around? You're screwed. People need to learn how to read maps. Stop depending on GPS.

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

said by hottboiinnc:

and like i said. you need to learn how to read a map. what happens if there isn't one anywhere around? You're screwed. People need to learn how to read maps. Stop depending on GPS.

I would pull my horse and buggy over to the side of the dirt road, get out my sextant and figure out a new course. Failing that, I would try to find the nearest telegraph station and send a telegram advising I will be late.

I can read a map and trained extensively in map reading with the army in the 1980's, including studying FM 21-26. I still carry a map atlas in my car but I am not a Luddite and I am willing to use newer technology. I have not pulled the atlas out in years as it has not been needed. You are certainly free to stick with paper maps and even connect to the Internet on an old 9600 kbps modem if you like.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to hottboiinnc

said by hottboiinnc:

GPS is still new to consumers..... give me a break. ever hear of a map? Everyone should learn to use them. What happens when your GPS goes out in the middle of a trip??

GPS has many, many other uses besides replacing road maps. What will happen when my GPS synched wireless internet access points get borked by Lightsquared, or land surveyors, or (insert several dozen other borkable uses)?