spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TurboDan

join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ

Trying to narrow down a problem... Comcast or my TV?

Hi All,

I recently purchased a new Vizio 55in HDTV. I'm hooking it up via HDMI to a Cisco RNG150. My issue is that, when I turn to SD channels, the sound goes in and out, much like you would get during an instance of digital artifacting - yet the picture is just fine. Only the sound is the issue. You'll hear 1 second bursts of the sound from the channel you're tuned into, followed by a 1 second burst of nothing - basically sounding as if its artifacting, like I said.

When I use component cables and hook the regular stereo cables into the analog inputs to the TV, the sound seems fine. Initially I brought the box back, thinking the HDMI port was malfunctioning. I was given a newly manufactured (1/11/11) RNG150. I brought it home, hooked it up, same issue. I then went out today and bought a new Sony HDMI cable (thinking that the cable may be the issue). Hooked it up, same issue.

The only thing I noticed, however, was that when I hooked up an older Scientific Atlantic 4250HDC box to the TV via HDMI, the problem did not seem to happen.

Is there a setting on the RNG150 that is causing this? Or is my TV's HDMI port not configured correctly somehow? It's driving me absolutely crazy!

Thanks!

TD Nickell
Premium
join:2010-07-27
Federal Way, WA
I'm having a problem in Seattle that is close to what you have.
This started about a month ago.I have four HDTV's setup in the house and all of them have the sound problem.
With those hooked up with component cables the sound goes off and on.
After i hook up the HDMI it has a stutter effect,but doesn't happen as often.
I have no idea what the problem is,as the picture is perfect.
It did seem to do it more when it was raining.
At this point i think I'm going to call for a truck roll.
It may be a hard one to track down.
I'll let you know what they find if they find anything.
Good luck.

TurboDan

Lavallette, NJ
said by TD Nickell:

I'm having a problem in Seattle that is close to what you have.
This started about a month ago.I have four HDTV's setup in the house and all of them have the sound problem.
With those hooked up with component cables the sound goes off and on.
After i hook up the HDMI it has a stutter effect,but doesn't happen as often.
I have no idea what the problem is,as the picture is perfect.
It did seem to do it more when it was raining.
At this point i think I'm going to call for a truck roll.
It may be a hard one to track down.
I'll let you know what they find if they find anything.
Good luck.

Interesting. The weather around here has been miserable pretty much since I got the TV, so who knows. But it's off that there would be a difference when hooked up to HDMI vs. component.

I scheduled a truck roll, but was hoping to figure it out myself. I'm just kinda like that, haha.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to TurboDan
Been seeing this a lot lately, this has fixed this several times for me in the field. Please see page 15 of the manual under HDMI settings.

»media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···g110.pdf

Turn from auto to l-pcm.

TD Nickell
Premium
join:2010-07-27
Federal Way, WA
reply to TurboDan
Well i called and a tech came out and checked the signals.
he said in fourteen years he has never heard of this problem before.So no help from comcast.
He told me to call if it happens again.

TurboDan

Lavallette, NJ
reply to trythisfirst
said by trythisfirst :

Been seeing this a lot lately, this has fixed this several times for me in the field. Please see page 15 of the manual under HDMI settings.

»media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···g110.pdf

Turn from auto to l-pcm.

Hmm, thanks for the tip, but it appears the User Settings menu isn't available on the Cisco RNG 150 - at least it can't be accessed the same way as the Pace box you posted.

Does the RNG 150 have such a menu?

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
according to the manual it is exactly the same. Sorry about posting the wrong one, i was skimming the thread.

»media2.comcast.net/anon.comcasto···uide.pdf

TurboDan

Lavallette, NJ
said by trythisfirst :

according to the manual it is exactly the same. Sorry about posting the wrong one, i was skimming the thread.

Different box. That's the Moto RNG150N, I have the Cisco RNG 150.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
Yes we dont have that turd here, go find the settings yourself i guess lol.

TurboDan

Lavallette, NJ
said by trythisfirst :

Yes we dont have that turd here, go find the settings yourself i guess lol.

Eh, I don't know how much of a turd it is. I'd say the equipment is generally fine, it's Comcast's cheap SARA software from the year of the flood that is the issue!

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to TurboDan
Try component with optical digital- HDMI is kinda flakey. I had to dump it on a Moto box because it kept changing to 720p.

TurboDan

Lavallette, NJ
said by BiggA:

Try component with optical digital- HDMI is kinda flakey. I had to dump it on a Moto box because it kept changing to 720p.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. To be honest, I use component on all of my TVs. I prefer its picture quality, believe it or not. I find that HDMI can be flakey, as you said, and I also actually think component lends itself to a sharper picture. Just my opinion.

BiggA

EARTH
I don't think component offers any better PQ, unless you have a problem with your HDMI handling somewhere or drastically different settings on the two inputs on your TV... but it sure is a lot more convenient, and quicker when switching components. We also leave our box on all the time, so when we turn the TV and AVR on and off, it doesn't have to deal with all of the handshaking crap now...

Dannyboy2110

join:2010-05-22
Trythisfirst had the correct answer. I've seen this happen with several TV sets.

What you need to do is.

1. Turn TV on and have Cable box powered off.
2. Press menu on comcast remote.
3. Go to audio settings and change it from Auto to l-pcm.

Really not a problem with the box. It's the TV has a handshaking issue that is not communicating with the box properly to let it know what type of audio your TV has.

BiggA

EARTH
The audio shouldn't be getting to the TV- it should be stripped off by the AVR.

TurboDan

Lavallette, NJ
reply to Dannyboy2110
said by Dannyboy2110:

Trythisfirst had the correct answer. I've seen this happen with several TV sets.

What you need to do is.

1. Turn TV on and have Cable box powered off.
2. Press menu on comcast remote.
3. Go to audio settings and change it from Auto to l-pcm.

Really not a problem with the box. It's the TV has a handshaking issue that is not communicating with the box properly to let it know what type of audio your TV has.

Can't do this on the Cisco RNG 150. Believe me I've tried. I've tried everything. I even bit the bullet and exchanged the TV at Costco. Got the new one home, same issue. The latest Vizio 55in model is NOT compatible with the RNG 150.

If ANYONE can tell me how to get into the user settings menu of the RNG 150 (if it's possible) please let me know. The "turn box off, press menu" method is not available on these boxes.

Cable303

join:2011-01-02
Denver, CO
Try this, its the only audio info I could find for the ciscos. Since I work in a Moto area I don't have any experience with them.

1. Press SETTINGS twice on the remote control to open the General Settings menu.
2. Press MOVE UP or MOVE DOWN to select the option Audio: Digital Out.
3. Press MOVE RIGHT to select Dolby Digital. This setting will send Dolby Digital audio to the HDMI, DIGITAL AUDIO
OUT, and OPTICAL AUDIO OUT connectors on the set-top.

Found it here:

hddodge guy

join:2010-05-23
Vineland, NJ
reply to Dannyboy2110
I did that also and I still have the audio issue.....From what I've read on the cable, Direct TV, FIOS forums, it's a common issue on all the HD services.....Guess for the milla second the sound goes out, I can live with it..