uniqs
share rss forum feed

PDXPLT

join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR
reply to AndyDufresne

Re: I feel sorry for that 2%

said by AndyDufresne:

I'll give him credit for at least this line- "South Korean homes now have greater Internet access than we do."

That didn't happen by accident, BTW. The So. Korean gov't made it happen; they wanted to "catch up" with the U.S.; how ironic, since they blew past us.

There's no mystery in what this speech was referring to. It was a reference to the Nat'l Broadband Plan, which is supposed to free up spectrum for both licensed and unlicensed ISP's.

As for Wildblue (which I'm on now) and existing wireless being considered broadband, I use a simple criterion - can you run the most popular broadband applications, the ones that consume the most internet bandwidth, on them. The answer is clearly NO; e.g., Netflix does not run on low-capped, slow Wildblue nor existing wireless services very well, if at all.

CanAmFam

@direcpc.com
PDXPLT - ding ding ding. We have a winner. I'm on HughesNet and have investigated all the available technologies. Wireless will not run modern and future apps, it just doesn't have the bandwidth.

South Korea invested in Fiber to the home, that's why their internet usage is higher than ours. The difference is their government doesn't have wireless industry lobbyists lining their pockets and whispering in their ears like we do here.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5
reply to PDXPLT
said by PDXPLT:

The answer is clearly NO; e.g., Netflix does not run on low-capped, slow Wildblue nor existing wireless services very well, if at all.

Actually it does run on lots of WISP systems (to a point)...and that's the problem. Too many people are foregoing their $100 or even $200 per month cable and satellite dish for a $40 WISP account and $8 Netflix. Already in past few months, WISPs are dealing with performance issues.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:3
reply to CanAmFam
said by CanAmFam :

Wireless will not run modern and future apps, it just doesn't have the bandwidth.

Wireless will handle virtually every application other than high def video streaming (and it will even do some of that, just at limited capacities). The problem is that those who want to provide the services (WISPs) aren't given the tools they need (spectrum) and instead the US likes to auction it off to huge cell phone companies so they can make a short term monetary gain that ends up costing the economy many times more by not just giving it to those who would do something good with it.