spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tek465

@frontiernet.net

What are people paying for Frontier Internet?

I'm interested in what people are paying for Frontier Internet. Frontier is in the process of upgrading our area to 6Mbps, but say the price will be a nominal fee of $65/mo. That seems a bit high to me. ( »frontierwhitemountains.webs.com/aboutus.htm )

Currently, I'm paying $50/mo for about 2Mbps for what's comically called Frontier Max. I can not find any mention of 6Mbps/$65 internet anywhere on the main Frontier website. In fact they offer 10Mbps standalone for $49, but the local Rep said that was a mistake.

So, I want to know if they are price gouging my area.

Show Low, AZ / $49.95 per month for 2Mbps

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:25
3Mbps/384kbps DSL from Frontier in my area is $35-45 a month. Higher speeds are available but only to businesses.

mike1965
Geek4rent

join:2002-09-23
Marion, IL
reply to Tek465
I have 7.1/768 Business DSL $39.99 a month...this is pricing that I had as a Verizon customer...so far I have got no notice of any increases.......They would not sell me 7.1 as residental but worked out better for a business write off anyhow LOL

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to Tek465
Click for full size
Same as mike1965 only mine is a residential account. Was a special deal 2 years ago that expires next month.

I have 7.1/768, $39.99 a month...this is pricing that I had as a Verizon customer

Switching to Vonage phone, number gets transferred today coincidentally, so I'm looking at dry loop pricing now. From what I'm seeing in my area, you are getting raped!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to Tek465
I posted a reply here over an hour ago with an attachment of pricing around here. It said message will posted shortly but not showing up yet.

I pay the same as mike1965, for the same speeds, only with a residential account.

You're being raped out there in AZ.!!
--
The Firefox alternative.

bcsman

join:2010-09-07
Capac, MI
reply to Tek465
Just signed up for the Power Plan a couple weeks ago, bundling my landline with DSL 3MB/s. So far very nice. Wanted to keep my landline and this bundle gave me Caller ID, Call Forwarding, unlimited long distance, and a couple other things. My landline alone was $45 a month so my increase for my DSL is $10 a month. Can't beat that with a stick.

mike1965
Geek4rent

join:2002-09-23
Marion, IL
reply to Tek465
by the way mine is dry loop too....

Action2

join:2010-06-29
Newman, IL
kudos:1
reply to Tek465
I pay $35 for dry loop 3Mb DSL, I really would like to have the 7.1 plan due to all the FTP work I do for work but they just won't sell anything higher in this area.

DJ24966

join:2005-12-07
Renick, WV
reply to Tek465
With my phone service and 3Mb DSL my bill is around $110/month...

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to Tek465
In my area, Burlington, WV located in Mineral County I pay $39.99 for 1250/256kbps from Frontier. Same price for less than half the speed that most of you get. By the way this is the price with a package discount.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to Tek465
Update to my first reply. Not paying anything for Frontier now.

When Vonage cancelled/transferred my number over to them, had to be curious and see if the transfer was complete after getting my confirmation from Vonage. It was.

While on the phone with Frontier I enquired about their current plan of 7.1/768 with no phone. My 2 year contract was over next month. As the attachment I included in first reply shows, it cost $54.99!! Ridiculous!!

Asked what they could do for me or else was going to switch to Charter cable. They told me I had to have an inactive account for 3 months to be eligible for a new customer account. Told them they're out of luck on that one and to cancel my internet as of now. Before they got a chance to cancel it, I asked abut an ETF and sure enough, lady said there would be one. They take $5 off for each month I was under contract, which was 23. Doing the math in my head, I calculated the 23x5=115. Take that from the $200 they charge if you cancel within the first month and they wanted to soak me $85 for an ETF! Told them to leave my internet alone and I will call back in a month. Immediately after that, I received 2 e-mails saying my internet had been shut off! Immediately called back and miraculously my contract was over as of last night!! Got a confirmation number from them so when I get bill and it shows some huge number on it ($85), I will call and REALLY b**ch them out.

So, as of now, I'm paying $39.99 for 6 months, no contract, for 16/2 speed on Charter, whom I had been with for 10 years prior to signing with Verizon for a 2 year deal.

Never had a problem with Verizon/Frontier, but had to do what I had to do!!
--
The Firefox alternative.

WA 425

join:2006-08-19
Lynnwood, WA
reply to Tek465
31.99/mo for dry-loop 3/768 DSL.

bitstopjoe

join:2009-08-02
Pen Argyl, PA
reply to Tek465
$22.82 ( 2 yr contract with a $5 loyality credit every month) Dry Loop DSL 6mp/1mp PLUS kept my landline for incoming calls ONLY ( I use MagicJack for all outgoing calls) My contract is up this March so I have no idea what it will cost. I may go to cable if the price is right and give up my landline totally. I DOUBT Frontier will renew me for the same great deal..

Joe Sica

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
join:2002-06-22
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2
reply to Tek465
I got in to the deal when they took over last July - they were offering on the radio for $59.99 for unlimited phone (with features and LD) and up to 7M DSL.

Locked into the price for 24 months too; 1 year contract.

Bill worked out to be $73 after all the fees, and yep, I do have 7M DSL.
--

nightjars

join:2010-01-09
Bothell, WA
reply to Tek465
$50/mo for 15/5

mr_slick

join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA
reply to Tek465
$55/mo for 15/5, which is usually runs ~16/4.7 (ex verizon fios).

no tv or phone

ipoop2much

@mycingular.net
reply to Tek465
I was paying $65 a month for the so called 3/768 dry loop plan.
This included the never ending modem rental fee and all the other taxes. Since the speeds I got were less than a third of that for most of the time, I called and cancelled three months ago. They have yet to send me my prorated refund. It took them two months to ship a modem return box. Then they charged me for three more months of service and an ETF on top of that.
Top notch service from a top notch company.

chevy6566

join:2002-04-10
Portland, OR
reply to Tek465
I think this name change is bogus, some kind of financial strategy ... every test I do still say's verizon.net... LOL
I pay 29.99 + 9.98 for ph. = about $42 mo. 3/768 service.

Steel2

join:2011-01-06
Riverdale, MI
reply to Tek465
Any amount.. is too much.

sugarcube

@charter.com
reply to Tek465
I was just talking to a Frontier phone rep and it seems that I can get dryloop service for 19.95 a month with a 2 year contract. I got rid of home phone service 4 years ago and went with Charter Communications. I detest their service and pricing! This deal will save me $400-500. a year!

Steel2

join:2011-01-06
Riverdale, MI
said by sugarcube :

I was just talking to a Frontier phone rep and it seems that I can get dryloop service for 19.95 a month with a 2 year contract. I got rid of home phone service 4 years ago and went with Charter Communications. I detest their service and pricing! This deal will save me $400-500. a year!

Wish I had your Charter service. Frontier is horrendous in most areas, including mine.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to Tek465
Fios was great here as Verizon, but it just keeps getting worse in one way or another after Frontier took over. My only other alternative is Comcrap who have proven themselves to screw customers over continually in the past, and cellular broadband which is neither cheap, along with usually comes with some very low caps. Wimax is terrible around here.

MrRude

@verizon.net
reply to Tek465
$94.99 for 3Mbps, unlimited long distance, and 1 extra phone line (?) / special ring. Same problems as many other Frontier customers have with the high ping and slow downs during the evenings and most of the weekend.

I actually crunched all the numbers for Comcast's 6Mbps and unlimited long distance and it still ended up at about the same price after their "promotional" periods end. Currently switching to them, and though most people don't speak very highly of them I doubt they could be worse than current Frontier.

SE Michigan

Viper007Bond
Premium
join:2002-09-26
Portland, OR
reply to Tek465
$99/mo for 25/25mbit FIOS Internet and the "Extreme" HD TV package (2 pack). I think the Internet alone would have been $65/mo.

kmathern

@verizon.net
reply to MrRude
I'm currently a FIOS triple play customer in Fort Wayne. The original triple play contract I had expired about 1-1/2 years ago. Because of the upcoming price increase for the TV portion I'm thinking of dropping both phone and TV.

Is internet (FIOS) only service available? {any idea how much?}

Does it require a contract?

Who do you call?

There's a phone number in the letter they sent announcing the price increase but it also mentions that DIRECTV offer and I'm afraid they'll try to use high pressure marketing tactics to entangle me another contract. Why can't you make these account changes and drop services online?

Mark F1

join:2007-08-01
Fort Wayne, IN
We have Freedom Essentials, 25/15 internet and FIOS TV Extreme HD and pay about $168.00 a month. I just did the FrontierNet Network Speed Test (via the Chicago server) and got 32059 kbps download and 14129 kbps upload.

I know you can manage your account, and even pay your bill, online. I just checked the Account Overview on Frontier/My Verizon to make sure that hasn't changed.

We are concerned about the upcoming price increase that will hit us later this year, but we don't want to give up any of our favorite channels if we can help it. But, is the Frontier FIOS phone/internet/TV all worth about $200 a month (after the increase)? Our options aren't many.

As for getting Frontier internet by itself, I didn't see it on the Frontier/My Verizon site.
Mark F.

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1
reply to Tek465
Just heard from a close friend in Ft. Wayne, In. He turned in his FIOS equipment today and has switched to Comcast because wonderful Frontier raised his rate $30 a month. He said that there was a steady stream of customers (former customers now) turning their equipment.

Mark F1

join:2007-08-01
Fort Wayne, IN
Tonight, I saw an X-Finity commercial, with a mock-up of a Frontier FIOS bill, that encouraged FIOS customers to sign up with Comcast. No Shaq standing there with open arms, but they want our business just the same.

Of course, they didn't mention the many problems had by former Comcast subscribers, who say they will never go back.

But then, most of those former customers aren't in the same position that some of us are.

And, with satelite TV, we would lose many channels such as Weatherscan, and Weather Channel's Local On the Eights, public access channels, subchannels of local TV stations, etc. So, we are exploring all possibilities.
Mark F.

Tarwater

join:2007-02-01
Sherburne, NY
reply to Tek465
$43/mo for High Speed Internet Max ($36 + $7 modem rental). I usually get about 2.2M/260k on speed tests. I also have their Digital Phone Unlimited, or the DSL would cost more. My total monthly bill for phone and DSL (including taxes etc.) is $108.

I used to have their "business class" DSL when I was telecommuting and could justify paying up for the fastest service I could get. They couldn't do any better on download speeds (still 2.2M), but they bumped me up to about 520k uploads. I needed the upload bandwidth to run some client/server software for work, so I paid them $64/mo.

Me101011

join:2008-06-03
Saline, MI
reply to Tek465
Former Verizon. We're paying $34 / month total, including all fees and taxes, for 1.5mbs DSL (provisioned at 1.5). We do not pay a modem rental fee. We still have a Verizon ip. Our up/down speeds have been solid, and outages have been rare (usually short duration) before & after the sale to Frontier. One odd thing: over the past few months our latency has improved *greatly* (by half to almost a third faster).

Verizon offered me 7mb for $49 not long before the sale to frontier. I wish I would have taken Verizon's offer. Frontier doesn't offer 7mbs to existing customers in my area, and just their 3mbs service is a whopping $49 - about $10 more/mo than Vz was before the sale.