corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere

Re: Globe & Other 2011-44 (UBB) articles

Has anybody else noticed that the Globe seems much more critical of UBB now that they're not owned by CTVgm?

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

Financial post today
»business.financialpost.c ··· -future/

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to corster

Premium Member

to corster
said by corster:

Has anybody else noticed that the Globe seems much more critical of UBB now that they're not owned by CTVgm?

Did I miss a memo??? Who owns the Globe now? I still thought it was ctvgm....

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by nitzguy:

There was some share-shuffling when BCE bought CTV, likely for BCE to abide by the bare minimum of competition laws, such that BCE still has (I think) a minority stake in the Globe and in some others which were previously in that bundle.

Details ? - Not sure....

The Memo
@videotron.ca

The Memo

Anon

said by Davesnothere:

said by nitzguy:

There was some share-shuffling when BCE bought CTV, likely for BCE to abide by the bare minimum of competition laws, such that BCE still has (I think) a minority stake in the Globe and in some others which were previously in that bundle.

Details ? - Not sure....

Globe still has very slanted reporting as does CTV. And yes Bell still has stake in Globe.

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

said by corster:

85% of the globe was sold back to the Thomson family, BCE (through CTVgm) is holding on to a 15% minority stake but no longer has management control.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by corster:

said by nitzguy:

said by corster:

85% of the globe was sold back to the Thomson family, BCE (through CTVgm) is holding on to a 15% minority stake but no longer has management control.

Ahhh....The Thomson's....this makes sense because at this point in Canadian Media there aren't many companies who could have afforded to take this on.
Thanks for the info corster, greatly appreciated. It'll be nice to see a more objective viewpoint with the Globe and I may start reading it more than my Star/Sun combination that I read now.

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by nitzguy:

Ahhh....The Thomson's....this makes sense because at this point in Canadian Media there aren't many companies who could have afforded to take this on.
Thanks for the info corster, greatly appreciated. It'll be nice to see a more objective viewpoint with the Globe and I may start reading it more than my Star/Sun combination that I read now.

Deal closed last week or the week before... if you go on CTVgm's corporate site, you'll notice that there's no mention of the globe anymore other than in their corporate name, rather a giant empty space next to the CHUM logo where the Globe logo used to be, and on the G&M's site all the CTVglobemedia credits at the bottom are gone.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Speaking of CTV....

Look what the CAT just dragged in !

(or was it the Beaver ?)

CTV has FINALLY escaped (owner) BHell's Throttle, it seems, and here's their article about CRTC decision 2011-44 :

»swo.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo ··· =SWOHome

And HOLY NEUTRALITY, BATMAN, the story seems unbiased !

(and includes a quote from Rocky)