All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
darkstryke
join:2003-02-18
Burnaby, BC

darkstryke

[BC] Telephone 'box' in house, what the heck is this thing?

Click for full size
Old thing on phone line into house
Hey guys. I'm trying to figure out what exactly this thing tied into our phone line is. The house is very old (inspection tag shows 1962), and I'm worried this 'thing' will be a problem if going back to DSL. I used to be on BCTel MMG service when it came out in 1998, then briefly Telus before they cancelled my grandfathered account.

I know the smaller box is the POTS splitter they installed like 12 years ago, but I highly doubt we'd be getting anything good like optic Turbo with this old thing in the closet. Our phone number is eligible for optik, but the CS rep on the phone had no idea if 'internally' our house would be acceptable.

Any feedback is appreciated before I try and progress things (and it starts costing money for visits).
river_ratbc
join:2007-09-21

river_ratbc

that's an old fused protector, and an old adsl POTS Splitter
beachside
join:2009-06-28

beachside to darkstryke

to darkstryke
When Telus comes to do the install they will wire your house as needed. If they need to do any work that is going to be charged the tech will inform you first.

zalternate
join:2007-02-22
freedom land

zalternate to darkstryke

to darkstryke
It would probably be worthy of getting a new drop(from the pole) to remove that old "copper coated steel" incoming line and put in a new demarc/pots splitter to ensure that there are no errors on the line. Should be cheap enough for the Telus tech to do it.

My old drop was copper coated steel and an old 'Bell' style demarc and the Telus Tech installed a new drop/demarc/pots splitter and it got rid of nearly all errors on my line(as seen by the stats on my Thomson speedtouch.
river_ratbc

river_ratbc

top wired is an old drop wire...bottom wire in middle is the ground, for the protector, the other two go off to the POTS splitter. The drop wire and protector would be changed out, at no cost to you, and the POTS Splitter updated to the new VDSL Pots Splitter.
darkstryke
Burnaby, BC

darkstryke

Wow you guys are still fast at replies here. Thanks so far!

I know the drop from the pole to the house was always a question mark when I initially got the MMG service all those years back, but they wouldn't do anything about it. Are they (Telus) responsible for the infrastructure from pole to the house, or does that end right at the pole?

Basically if we can't get the TV service as well as DSL, it will be a non-starter. Shaw had to replace the pole drop as the cable was also horribly old, but they covered everything from the pole to the box.

Again, I hate to ask here, but the CS rep we were talking to this evening really didn't seem to have any answers to these questions, and wouldn't put us through to someone who could.

Thanks guys!

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak

Premium Member

said by darkstryke:

I know the drop from the pole to the house was always a question mark when I initially got the MMG service all those years back, but they wouldn't do anything about it. Are they (Telus) responsible for the infrastructure from pole to the house, or does that end right at the pole?

If they need to replace the line, they will replace it when they are installing your TV service. They did it at one of my houses and it was no charge.
river_ratbc

river_ratbc to darkstryke

to darkstryke
Telus is responsible to the demarc. If there is no demarc, as in your case, they are responsible up to the protector.
darkstryke
Burnaby, BC

darkstryke

Interesting, thanks for the helpful information. It seems back in the day I wasn't getting the whole story (tho then again that was when it was still BC Tel).