share rss forum feed

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23

8 recommendations

Petition to the Governor in Council against UBB

It's now up to the government. If they are interested in protecting the individuals, they will use my submission as an excuse to kill UBB. If not, they will find an excuse to kill my petition

Spread the word.

Have no idea what CNOC has done. If they are not happy with my action, it was up to them to be more communicative of their strategy so we could have worked to support each other.

KC7

join:2006-11-08
Ottawa, ON
JF, you have this waiting didn't you.

Okay, how could and ordinary Canadian help?

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
reply to jfmezei
various links:

Policy direction: »www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/ic1.nsf/eng/02149.html
Telecom act: »laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/en/T-3.4···ext.html (section 7 is relevant)

Gazette of Canada: list of petitions: »www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.ns···506.html

If there have been multiple petitions submitted, they would likely be combined into 1 process and show as 1 record in the Gazette of Canada.

CanadianRip

join:2009-07-15
Oakville, ON
reply to jfmezei
Wow Jf,

That is fantastically written.

Crossing my fingers.

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
reply to jfmezei
Assuming that CNOC did nothing (and it appears they did something, we just don't know what), right now the best you can do is spread the word. The more the media and politicians know about it, the harder it becomes for the government to refuse the petition.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to jfmezei
Kudos to you JF for having the balls to submit a petition to the GiC. This might actually go a long way to increase the noise. Already it seems one party in Parliament is going to attack Clement.

MrX4000

join:2008-07-01
Ontario
reply to jfmezei
Looks fantastic ... I think we all know who the lawyer is on this site ... seriously read through it ... sounds great ... I'm not sure most of our elected officials will understand it ... Maybe its time to break out the crayolas and puppets ??

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
Yeah, the "technical" stuff is a problem. I had a non-techy friend read it last night and while she understood the gist of it, she found a lot of techno jumbo mumbo that made it look complex.

But as a "nobody", not including details and lots of arguments would not have had much credibility. You can't just write a 1 page petition that says "please get CRTC to revoke UBB" and not provide supporting arguments.

MrX4000

join:2008-07-01
Ontario
said by jfmezei:

Yeah, the "technical" stuff is a problem. I had a non-techy friend read it last night and while she understood the gist of it, she found a lot of techno jumbo mumbo that made it look complex.

But as a "nobody", not including details and lots of arguments would not have had much credibility. You can't just write a 1 page petition that says "please get CRTC to revoke UBB" and not provide supporting arguments.

So true

oxymoron69

join:2004-11-10
Corbyville, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Kingston Online ..
reply to jfmezei
Thanks for writing that, you're truly set the bar quite high for discussions going forward.

Behavioural based billing, damn right, they should call it what it is.
Bells evil plan: Conditioning Candians to sit down, shut up and watch american idol on CTV via their Bell Satellite connection while texting their friend about what J-Lo is wearing (and paying to receive texts!) on their bell cell phone.
Otherwise just being nice little RGUs and paying the fucking piper, regardless of any nonexistant business relationship with said piper.

justsomeguy8

join:2007-10-08
N5M3Z3
reply to jfmezei
Congrats on the filing JF, I just read it and I think its great.

I think its great we have someone actually advocating for consumers
instead of their own bottom line.

I hope this gets some traction.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to jfmezei
Good for you, you're playing chess, not poker.
IMHO you have done more than anyone, or any group to try and get rid of this BS.
Bravo!

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
I want to thank a few friends who helped with wording, although I am not sure I got through all of the sufggestions. (there were *many*

Nlot sure if I should incriminate them publically though. But 2 of them are frequent posters here.

To get this done, I probably had 40 tabs opened the the browser to each CRTC decision and public record pages.

Oh, and thanks to those who went to Weight and Measures Canada. I included that at the last page of arguments.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
reply to jfmezei
Nice work JF, as usual, and as expected.

If there is anything you need from us, you should let us know.

Mike
--
-- UBB: There IS something you can do - ask me (PM)

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON
reply to jfmezei
how do we sign the petition ?

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
This is a petition, but not a "petition".

This is more of a "I beg you dear king to grant me a pardon" type of petition instead of something that 50k people sign.

buggerit

@tdbank.ca
reply to dillyhammer
Hell yea. Good going.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
reply to jfmezei
I don't think you can comment until the Petition is accepted (appears in the Gazette of Canada).
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled??

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

This is a petition, but not a "petition".

This is more of a "I beg you dear king to grant me a pardon" type of petition instead of something that 50k people sign.

But 50k people can sign a petition to the GiC supporting your petition, yes?

Mike
--

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
yes. Not sure what CNOC has organised with openmedia. But if the petition is accepted, perhaps openmedia will deposit its petition as part of the petition.

Note sure if the standards for peotions are looser for such process versus a peotion deposited in the house.

hyperi0n

join:2002-11-15
Kitchener, ON
reply to jfmezei
Thank you. What is the next step that we can expect from the government regarding this?

shikotee

join:2007-01-11
Canada
kudos:2
reply to jfmezei
Well done JF.

My only worry is that cabinet members will simply not comprehend much of what you have put together. These guys are lazy and technically illiterate, and will not actually take the time to learn much of what is needed to comprehend your rationale. One can only hope that some of their aides will be better equipped, but I really doubt it. Right now, everything is about preparing for a possible election, and for the Conservative cabinet members, it is about obtaining the coveted majority.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to jfmezei
Just read the petition, wow, well researched, well documented and laid out in a non emotional way (considering how emotional this really is).

I love how you made the point of the Cableco/Telco's wanting to keep their distribution/broadcast investments from being eroded by cord cutters (which frankly this is all about).

Now we sit and wait for the Government.
--
Jake: "Four fried chickens, and a coke" Elwood: "And some dry white toast, please"

PXA
Tech Ninja
Premium
join:2008-04-02
Ottawa, ON
reply to jfmezei
Damn JF, they is some fine work if I do say so myself. Kudos to you for diving into that with both feet! I really hope this gets the fight more exposure.
--
Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to jfmezei
Paragraph 106 - brilliant. Love it. Now there's something those ninnies in Ottawa can sink there teeth into.

This needs to get under the noses of ALL of Quebec's politicians pronto.

Mike
--

static416

join:2007-01-26
Toronto, ON
reply to jfmezei
Someone should create a Wikipedia article for UBB sourced from this information. Last time I checked there is no UBB article on Wikipedia. This would be the first place newbies would check.
--
www.LaconicReply.com - Tech/photography/rant blog

static416

join:2007-01-26
Toronto, ON
reply to jfmezei
Is there a place I can donate money to you JF? (seriously)

Or nominate you for a Nobel prize?

I'd be honored to fellate you.

Even if nothing comes of this, you deserve some sort of public recognition. You have put in more effort than many of the companies whose business hinges on GAS, while the rest of us just bitch and sit on our asses.

This sort of effort is exceedingly rare, and without exaggeration, the entire Canadian internet consuming public is very lucky to have you working in our interests when no one else will.
--
www.LaconicReply.com - Tech/photography/rant blog

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Fellatio is getting a little extreme.

trainwreck6

join:2010-09-21
off track
said by elwoodblues:

Fellatio is getting a little extreme.

Yeah, just a bit! Keep your pants on JF, but I'm sure he'll take monetary help!

Etheric

join:2007-04-16
Guelph, ON
kudos:1
reply to jfmezei
Excellent work JF!