grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510 to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: Petition to the Governor in Council against UBB

said by Davesnothere:

said by InvalidError:

Wait for the parties' electoral platform and see if UBB even gets a bullet point in any of them. They are going to be too busy mudslinging on bigger issues to bother with UBB.

THAT's when Open Media needs to email everyone who signed their petition and get them all to rise up and remind everyone - CC to the media and all political leaders - so that UBB/CAPs etc BECOMES an election issue.

By media, I think you mean CBC, BHell, Shaw, Robbers, and Videoturd. 4 out of those 5 media companies WANT UBB.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by grunze510:

By media, I think you mean CBC, BHell, Shaw, Robbers, and Videoturd. 4 out of those 5 media companies WANT UBB.

Three of those have had it on retail for two or more years, one of them has had it on wholesale for nearly a decade... yup, tough sale.

XNemesis
join:2002-11-16
Kitchener, ON

XNemesis to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
But if Openmedia is just a puppet of CNOC since it's CNOC that helps fund them???? then it's up to CNOC to tell them to send out mass emails, IF that's what CNOC wants in the first place...??

Nilism
join:2011-02-07
Edmonton, AB

Nilism to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
I'm pretty sure OpenMedia.ca isn't in bed with anyone. They may receive funding from various organizations but I think it's a huge stretch to start dropping words like "puppet".

As for the Canadian media... I would like to reserve passing judgement on them. I would like to think that our reporters have some journalistic respect. I've seen a LOT of articles on UBB picking at all angles. This idea that they are bought and paid for wholesale just doesn't hold water.

As for JF's petition Tony Clement tweeted it is being published this coming week (not 100% sure on the date).
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by Nilism:

As for JF's petition Tony Clement tweeted it is being published this coming week (not 100% sure on the date).

Canada Gazette is published on Fridays.
InvalidError

InvalidError to Nilism

to Nilism
said by Nilism:

He said the same thing over a month ago, which casts some doubts about whether or not he actually checked up on what is holding it up or if it may have been dropped altogether somewhere along the way.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

1 recommendation

dillyhammer

Premium Member

I'm inclined to believe Tony Clement is a major douche bag and sold us out.

It goes to prove one thing.

The telecommunications industry - and Bhell in particular - has captured far more than the regulator. What we have here is very deep-seated, systemic problems that stretch from the top down and are independent of whoever is in power.

As I've said a million times, we need to get UBB into a courtroom.

Now more than ever.

Mike
globus999
join:2008-05-15

globus999 to NCRGuy

to NCRGuy
said by NCRGuy:

said by globus999:

As opposed to you that have what experience????
Didn't think so....

I didn't make my experience an issue, although, yes I do have experience in that area.

I didn't make my experience and issue, I simply pointed out that I had it and I was not talking out of thin air. You are making the whole thing an issue, for unknown reasons. Maybe you absolutely need to be the king of the hill. Who knows. I am not a psychiatrist.
And wrt your experience, if the info you have shared so far is the summary of it, well, all I can say is that you have learned nothing.
globus999

globus999 to jfmezei

to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

Petitions to governor in council are not common. There isn't a "queue" to wait to be published.

[snip]

What puzzles me is why they stopped talking to me.

Even if they realised I was not part of their party, actually, ESPECAILLY since they would have realised it, they should have been treating mee with white gloves to ensure I don't turn against them.

JF, much that I hate saying this, you are not a threat to them either way. You are just a footnote. And this is very sad indeed in its own right.

Wrt why have they stopped talking to you? Simple, you may not represent a threat as-is, but any information that they may rely to you will be used against them by the opposition. So you are to be kept in the dark. This is, again, a very sorry situation indeed. Basically it is politics at its worst.

Don't get demoralized. Keep your head up, well up! You should be very proud. We need more people like you.
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

I am as much of a pain in the ass to Bell as I am to the government. (whatever low level this may be). Yet Bell has treated me professionally, and on occasions where I had a question to ask, they replied promptly via email.

If the Minister's plan was to submit it this week (as opposed to publish it this week), it would have been quite professional for them to simply let me know that it would be. It just isn't professional to prevent communications when the Minister tells "anyone" information over twitter.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by jfmezei:

If the Minister's plan was to submit it this week (as opposed to publish it this week), it would have been quite professional for them to simply let me know that it would be. It just isn't professional to prevent communications when the Minister tells "anyone" information over twitter.

Controlling the flow of information is about as much power as any petty bureaucrat or low-level political flunky has. It's Standard Operating Procedure.
InvalidError

InvalidError to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

Now more than ever.

On what basis? The decision that approved UBB on Bell-GAS got shelved, there is no decision to bring to court until the review is over and the new decision from it gets published.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

1 recommendation

sbrook

Mod

I think dillyhammer is implying that the whole idea of UBB (not just the third party type UBB) i.e. retail UBB, should be brought to a court so that ISPs cannot apply UBB to even their own customers.

That's nothing to do with the CRTC at that level, but because of its questionable ability to be billed accurately, it probably should be before a court!

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

I think dillyhammer is implying that the whole idea of UBB (not just the third party type UBB) i.e. retail UBB, should be brought to a court so that ISPs cannot apply UBB to even their own customers.

That's nothing to do with the CRTC at that level, but because of its questionable ability to be billed accurately, it probably should be before a court!

Yep.

The process I would be most interested in watching is the defendants pick a jury. Would love to see Clement try and interfere with that.

Mike

XNemesis
Kitchener, ON

XNemesis to jfmezei

to jfmezei
So how would the process of taking this to court actually be started?
sjgarg
join:2010-12-14
Scarborough, ON

sjgarg

raising a few million dollars for lawyers

XNemesis
Kitchener, ON

XNemesis

100,000 people to give $20 from their yearly income?...I'd give that if it got this into court with a very good lawyer(s)
a1_Andy
Premium Member
join:2005-12-29
Oshawa, ON

1 recommendation

a1_Andy to InvalidError

Premium Member

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by dillyhammer:

Now more than ever.

On what basis? The decision that approved UBB on Bell-GAS got shelved, there is no decision to bring to court until the review is over and the new decision from it gets published.

I have been wondering if at all possible to get the whole thing from the beginning of the throttle into the courtroom.
With the statements of bell stating that UBB is entirely made up for profits one would have reason to believe that the original evidence given to the CRTC as proof of congestion was falsified. In reality all you need to drag somebody into court is "reason to believe" and we the people have plenty of reason to believe as; bells submission was not independently scrutinised, it was filed in confidence (even though bell is a publicly traded company), just the fact that given the millions to be made from UBB bell would likely lie (as there seems to be no consequences towards bell for lying to the CRTC), that there has never been evidence of congestion before the throttle.

Question is how would we bring this all to a courtroom going that far back?
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by a1_Andy:

Question is how would we bring this all to a courtroom going that far back?

To paraphrase the late Long John Baldry,
"A fraud's a fraud, even in paradise".
jfmezei
Premium Member
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

If it is a challenge to a CRTC decision, going to court is very difficult. It is more akin to taking a government law to supreme court to prove it is unconstitutional. (except here you go to appeals court to prove it break the telecom act, or that the CRTC did not act according to the act that created it or its rules & procedures).

The original 484 decision for UBB was taken to federal appeals court on the basis that the CRTC process was flawed because it made decision without participamts having ability to challenge the Bell costs submissions. (or something like that). It wasn't about the concept of UBB itself.

The Globalive issue is more clear cut. The Telecom Act defines fairly clearly that a company mkust be 80% controlled by canadians. Yeah, that leavs the interpretation of "controlled".

But 27-1 the "fair and reasonable" claiuse for tariffs is hard to logically prove the CRTC was wrong because it is so "emotional".

Bell says $5.00/gig is fair and reasonable. You say it isn't. He said, she said.

Now, if you challenge the concept of UBB and stay outside of the telecom act, then CRTC involvement is nil.

However folks like Bell would defend themselves stating that the CRTC studied the matter for over 2 years and found the concept to be acceptable to canadian law. So you would have to argue to destroy that argument.

In fact, Mirko would probably remote control Konrad to come and testify and tell the court that UBB is fully justified.

WaitForGodot
join:2009-01-07

WaitForGodot

said by jfmezei:

In fact, Mirko would probably remote control Konrad to come and testify and tell the court that UBB is fully justified.

JF why are you being so polite. Isn't KvF already a puppet on a string, being manipulated by HMV (His Master's Voice) ... Mirko Bibitch.

Call a spade a spade !!

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to grunze510

Premium Member

to grunze510
said by grunze510:

said by Davesnothere:

THAT's when Open Media needs to email everyone who signed their petition and get them all to rise up and remind everyone [else who they know] - CC to the media and all political leaders - so that UBB/CAPs etc BECOMES an election issue.

Well, CBC, Globe & Mail, DSLR, ARS Technica, CP, Reuters....

and still CC to PShaw & all of the others - they might still print something which will make some new readers ask more questions.

Also to mainstream USA news media, as enough Canadians follow some of those too.

Oh yes, and get the pitchforks and torches ready....
jfmezei
Premium Member
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

BTW:

»twitter.com/TonyClement_MP doesn't seem to work anymore !!!

Since he is still MP until election day, I wonder why he would have disabled it.

Can a blackberry only handle one twitter account ? I guess he doesn't want his election plans to become too public via twitter !

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb

Premium Member

Untill after election he changed his handle to @TonyclementCPC If you were allready a "follower" the change is automatic in your feed.
An_Onymous
join:2009-10-24
Canada

An_Onymous to jfmezei

to jfmezei
I have been using his RSS link for reading. »twitter.com/statuses/use ··· 3664.rss

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to XNemesis

Premium Member

to XNemesis
said by XNemesis:

So how would the process of taking this to court actually be started?

Already has.

Mike
dillyhammer

1 recommendation

dillyhammer to sjgarg

Premium Member

to sjgarg
said by sjgarg:

raising a few million dollars for lawyers

No. Actually, it's an expert report that provides a technical explanation of the facts that give rise to the cause of action.

The good law firm with a good case will move on a contingency basis once class representatives have retained the firm.

Mike
dillyhammer

dillyhammer to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

To paraphrase the late Long John Baldry, "A fraud's a fraud, even in paradise".

Yep.

Mike
jfmezei
Premium Member
Pointe-Claire, QC

1 recommendation

jfmezei

Premium Member

Had a terrible nightmare. I was having breakfast with a Bell Canada lawyer and it was right out of Alien Versus Predator movie. There was lots of blood with an Ursus Bipedus Belliculous dead on the floor.

I think I'v had one too many Monster drinks.

But as I awoke from the nightmare with my heart still pacing, I realised why my petition had not been published in the Canada Gazette. Now, I just have to make sure that I didn't get implanted with some miniature Bell creature who would burst out of my chest during my next presentation to the CRTC.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by jfmezei:

Had a terrible nightmare. I was having breakfast with a Bell Canada lawyer and it was right out of Alien Versus Predator movie. There was lots of blood with an Ursus Bipedus Belliculous dead on the floor.

I think I'v had one too many Monster drinks.

But as I awoke from the nightmare with my heart still pacing, I realised why my petition had not been published in the Canada Gazette. Now, I just have to make sure that I didn't get implanted with some miniature Bell creature who would burst out of my chest during my next presentation to the CRTC.

LMFAO.

You're a riot JF.

Mike