spc
Search similar:

uniqs
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

LG Optimus V

Now I know this isn't a smartphone forum, but Virgin Mobile is about to release the most awesome prepaid smartphone ever. I use "about" loosely; I was able to pick the LG Optimus V up from Target earlier today.

As a mobile broadband alternative, this probably isn't what you're looking for, but if you want a very decent smartphone with no contract and a $25 per month plan that includes a nicely-sized bucket of minutes AND unlimited data, this fits the bill. The screen on the phone isn't quite iPhone-sized, but that just means that the phone is still nice and small despite selling for just $150. The operating system is Android, and it works quite smoothly.

I could go on, but I'll just answer questions from anyone curious about the phone. In advance of those questions, the phone is sold at Target and RadioShack, with Target having a couple phones in stock as of right now. You just need to ask for them because they aren't on the shelf yet.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

is it running gingerbread (2.3) or froyo (2.2)?
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Froyo. Only thing running Gingerbread is the Nexus S at this point. Froyo is plenty fast on it though.
iansltx

iansltx

Also, it takes about 90 seconds to get wireless tethering working on the phone...

»www.lg-phones.org/lg-opt ··· ing.html

NoOneCares
join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR

NoOneCares to iansltx

to iansltx
I've got a couple videos on the Optimus V made now.

»www.youtube.com/tanksandplanes

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to iansltx

to iansltx
i mis-clicked this is a reply to csiemers

Question... did you ever connect the device up via wifi before it was activated? Just curious if it works as a wifi android device when there is no VM service activated (or if you decide to not top it up for a month for example).

Also... you had the samsung intercept... which seems to have more horsepower the LG or the Samsung?

NoOneCares
join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

NoOneCares

When I first opened it up out of the box I connected to my WiFi. I didn't do any browsing, just presuming since I had a IP connection it would work.

The Optimus with Android 2.2 is peppier. The Intercept only has 2.1 and from what I've read elsewhere, when the Intercept has 2.2 it is peppier as well.

The big difference is that the Optimus screen is slightly larger and the Intercept has a physical keyboard.

If I had the choice all over, which one, I'd go with the Optimus as the screen is easier to use with my big fingers.

txrocks
Whatever
Premium Member
join:2005-01-21
Mckinney, TX

txrocks to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx
Bought one for my wife and I can't put it down...
Radio Shack requires you activate in store or they add a $10 "fee"
Todays flyer shows a $10 gift card with purchase...

txrocks

dib22
Kansas City, MO

3 edits

dib22 to iansltx

to iansltx
Ok I grabbed one and just for any who were wondering... it does seem to function properly with out ever being activated. Connected to a couple wifi networks and skype and browsing and email all work great. Even GPS worked before activation... not sure if it was really reading GPS or if Virginmobile/sprint leaks the AGPS data to non activated phones for E911 purposes.

It only has an Arm6 cpu so it wont do flash 10.1 (that requires an Arm7) but it is a pretty slick little android device for $150.

Activated it to give it a try and it seems to deal with calls pretty well.

edit: I did find one at radio shack and they refused to sell it without activating it... poor guys, guess they are so commission dependent they try to activate pre-paid phones like contract ones. Someone should explain the difference between contract and pre-paid to their managers Ended up grabbing mine at a target.
FailNet
join:2010-09-02

FailNet to iansltx

to iansltx
Great phone, especially at $150 and no contract. In the current smartphone climate, this is a steal!

But I have a feeling Virgin Mobile will soon mess with the phone plans as they let in more smartphones. Especially the Unlimited data bit. Still, it's a great deal and I'm happy with the purchase.
Test99
Premium Member
join:2003-04-24
San Jose, CA

Test99 to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx
Thanks to the information in this thread, I'm thinking of buying several LG Optimus V phones. Is everyone pleased with the phone and service?

dib22
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

dib22

here is what I've found so far...

It did have some serious problems at first... it would stutter and freeze up randomly. Tried reset/clearing the phone and tried reformatting the micosd card and it would still randomly flake out. My uber cheap 16gig microsd from newegg showed up and it hasn't flaked out since. So the included 2gig microsd card seems to be the culprit.

There is some wifi to evdo handoff issues. Several times while leaving a wifi area and switching over to evdo the device will just fail to realize it has a data connection. The fix seems to be to toggle wifi off then on... not sure if this is a LG or VM or android issue.

The speaker is not the greatest. I am used to being able to use the speaker feature on my iphone to listen to video, music, etc... the optimus sound breaks up and is extremely tin-ish.

A few sought after apps require an arm7... this optimus has an arm6 so some applications wont be available (like flash 10.1, some games, etc).

Technically the samsung intercept has a faster cpu... but it has android 2.1... they claim 2.2 "sometime spring". The reason I mention this is that I noticed best buy in store dropped the intercept to 169.

As far as a skype phone on wifi I give it a thumbs up. The google voice integration is also very nice. Generally happy with it.

Edit: I think the included microsd is defective, I just tried it on a desktop and it also caused issues.
Test99
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Test99

Premium Member

Thank you for the update!

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

Re: LG Optimus V Specs from LG

QuickSpecs
»www.lg.com/us/mobile-pho ··· M670.jsp

DataSheet:
»www.lg.com/us/mobile-pho ··· INAL.pdf

Manual:
»www.lg.com/us/mobile-pho ··· INAL.pdf

USB DRIVER:
»www.lg.com/us/mobile-pho ··· _1.0.msi
compuguybna

compuguybna

I bought one today.

Between the AT&T Captivate (we have only EDGE here (but always 4 bars sometimes 5)

and the VM Optimus V (sprint).....

Only getting 1-2 bars of 3G here.

I activated it, but I haven't put any $25 package on it yet.

Captivate has Andriod 2.1, Optimus has 2.2 (I dont see any difference)

one i'm keeping, one i'm taking back.
Test99
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Test99

Premium Member

said by compuguybna:

I bought one today.

Please keep us posted on your experiences.

No external antenna connector on the Optimus V, right?

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

Directions and Navigation on this phone is HORRIBLE.

It freezes, hangs, lags....Even after I thought i had stopped it, it kept reading street names. VERY WEIRD.

The application warned it was still in BETA. I did manage to find the street level of my house though. Must be about a year old though. the car in the driveway I haven't had since about 13 months ago.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to Test99

to Test99
said by Test99:

No external antenna connector on the Optimus V, right?

None that I have found.
dib22

dib22 to compuguybna

to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

Directions and Navigation on this phone is HORRIBLE.
It freezes, hangs, lags....Even after I thought i had stopped it, it kept reading street names. VERY WEIRD.

I had problems with google navigation ,and every other function, until I switched out sd cards. I think part of their cost savings plan on this device was to use defective sd cards they couldn't get rid of...

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

1 edit

compuguybna

I took mine back today.

Comparing the ATT Captivate and the VM Optimus was a close race.

The Optimus still kept randomly freezing. I had to take the battery out twice to get out of a stuck GPS screen.

Overall, a very nice phone though, with Android 2.2.

I end up keeping the Captivate because it was a 4 inch screen (bigger virtual keyboard), the captivate has the same processor as the I-phone, and had 16gb of memory.

the Optimus VM did have 3G, but only about 7 miles from the tower, then it goes to ZERO bars (in my city)....

Interesting that the Optimus sometimes showed ZERO BARS, yet I could still make a phone call. I dont think the signal indicator properly talks to the Andriod o/s.

Definately a descent price for a no-contract phone and the $25 unlimited plan (but knowing Virgin Mobile, I have to wonder how long that will last, taking the short plus from Broadband2Go)

My sister got here one too. She's got better Sprint coverage.
She's not so critical of all the things I mentioned.
I'll have to ask here what the navagation is like. I wonder if my problem with it was that I didn't have but like 2 bars. Might have just been to slow of an internet connection to properly work.
I did notice 1xrtt a couple of times.....We'll see how long she keeps hers
Test99
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Test99 to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx

Re: LG Optimus V

I just bought an LG Optimus V for testing and still have much to learn. So far the audio quality and volume is excellent at both ends of the conversation.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

3 edits

dib22 to compuguybna

to compuguybna

said by compuguybna:

That says bad things about the Captivate (grin). Capivate is the galaxy s class device... optimus v is a 600mhz arm 6... not to mention $599.99 vs $149.99...

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

Actually, everyone's experience is different.

I know there are quite a few differences in the phones. I was just comparing for the basis of it being an Android Phone.

I definately dont like being in a contract with AT*T, but the phone only cost $29.88. I'm on a family talk plan, so the phone plan is only $10 a month, and a $15 month data plan was required, so its only $25 a month total. ( I dont like the data cap either).

Advantage of the Optimus would have been that I could have stopped using it at any time, and probably sell it on Ebay (or here) at a discounted rate..

But in the end, I liked the responsiveness of the Captivate.

Choices. Choices. I still have 12 days to change my mind. Might to back to the Optimus?????

HAS ANYONE SEEN THESE AT BESTBUY? I've seen them at Wal-Mart, RadioShack, and Target so far.

Haven't talked to my sister about her Optimus, though.
said by dib22:

said by compuguybna:

That says bad things about the Captivate (grin). Capivate is the galaxy s class device... optimus v is a 600mhz arm 6... not to mention $599.99 vs $149.99...

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by compuguybna:

I bet! I looked at unlocked androids for quite some time as I just need one to test applications on... they all came with 1.5 or didn't have att 3g bands. I looked at the captivate and without a contract it would have cost me 599.99... it is a very slick phone... (all of the Galaxy S phones are).

I suspect the capivate will get even faster when they push 2.2 or 2.3 out to it.

I was just saying comparing the captivate to the optimus v is a bit like comparing a Corvette to a Aveo hehe.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

I have 15 days to take the Captivate back. I'm going to play around with my sisters optimus this week. I didn't really test the one I had very much.

I still hate that AT&T is sloooow EDGE, and the Optimus would be 3G here in town...I am anxious to know call reception in some rural areas.

if my sister decides not to keep hers (she might get on here son's Verizon plan), I might sell it to a lucky forum user on here.
(presuming she doesn't sell it to me if I take the Captivate back).
said by dib22:

said by compuguybna:

I bet! I looked at unlocked androids for quite some time as I just need one to test applications on... they all came with 1.5 or didn't have att 3g bands. I looked at the captivate and without a contract it would have cost me 599.99... it is a very slick phone... (all of the Galaxy S phones are).

I suspect the capivate will get even faster when they push 2.2 or 2.3 out to it.

I was just saying comparing the captivate to the optimus v is a bit like comparing a Corvette to a Aveo hehe.

compuguybna

1 edit

compuguybna

Re: LG Optimus V FOR SALE!!

SOLD . . . Guess that takes me out of the Optimus discussion!
FredP5
join:2002-01-25
Grapevine, TX

FredP5 to dib22

to dib22

found what looks like an antenna connector under a small tab below the battery.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by FredP5:

found what looks like an antenna connector under a small tab below the battery.

Where at? Got a pic?

I have a panel covered by a screw in the upper right, then a test strip in the bottom right, then battery connector then what appears to just be cover of some sort middle left but it is covered by the serial number sticker.

Did you have any luck with it? A lot of these phones will have an antenna test point but they are not exactly easy to connect to and don't always give the same results as an antenna port. They are used in the factory to test the radio functions.

FredP
@ppgecm.com

FredP

Anon

Sorry, no picture but you've found it. Small tab under battery. You have a sticker over it and I do not. Yes, I suspected it was the factory connection. I'd love to find a connector for it. I get lousey signal strength where I live and work.

billdozer110
@alltel.net

billdozer110

Anon

watch out!!! i stuck a copper wire in there from a cat 5 cable and increased the signal, however after taping it to the battery it worked great except for one thing, it was taped to the battery, so dealing with the internet constantly goin out on the phone and sometimes needing to reset it, it caused problems, not to mention when the wire is removed it has no service what so ever and i had decent service and thought that was the problem my internet was going in and out, so now i'm taking it back to best buy in the morning... glad it was within the thirty days... i guess i'll pawn it off to manufacturer defect... you can't see any damage...