spc
Search similar:

uniqs

AFOOFA
@comcast.net

AFOOFA

Anon

[Connectivity] Linksys WRT310N router - Motorola SURFboard SB61

Every several days (say 3-5) all the laptops in my home are unable to connect to the Internet. Windows shows that they are connected to the Linksys WRT310N router but that the router is not connected to the Internet (Motorola SURFboard SB6120). I have called Comcast twice and each time they stated that they had connectivity to my cable modem and in one instance had me connect the Ethernet cable from the cable modem into one of my laptops (instead of the router) and then was able to access the Internet. I verified that the router is running the latest version (v1.0.10 build 002 Jul 19, 2010) of the firmware. I called Cisco but they would not assist without payment due to the router being purchased more than 1 year prior. Suggestions?

inferno4
join:2008-07-06

inferno4

Re: [Connectivity] Linksys WRT310N router - Motorola SURFboard

Just buy another router

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
join:2009-09-07
Great White

Tordek7 to AFOOFA

Premium Member

to AFOOFA
Lets try this very simple process first;

Step 1: Unplug the power to the 6120

Step 2: Unplug the power to the router

Step 3: Plug in the 6120 and wait 2 minutes (or until Green blue green blue/green light in that sequence)

Step 4: Plug in router and attempt to connect.

--

If you are able to get online, then i would suspect a problem with how the Linksys is getting the IP from the 6120. Where it uses a dynamic IP from the 6120, 96 hours sounds right for a renew time.

If this works, i suggest hard resetting the router. (Hold down the reset button in the back for about 30 seconds)

AFOOFA
@comcast.net

AFOOFA

Anon

Yes, I do steps 1-4 to resolve each time the problem occurs. I did a hard reset on the router as suggested and then ran the installation CD. The DHCP lease time is now 4 days so if no problem after 4 days, I'll assume the problem is resolved. Otherwise, I'll be back for more advice. Thanks!
AFOOFA

AFOOFA

Anon

Problem recurred less than 2 days into the 4 day lease. Other ideas, suggestions?

Any way to verify that the SB6120 is configured properly? Comcast said it's find since they have connectivity to it when I experience the problem.
hiptechboy
join:2009-09-02
Stockton, CA

hiptechboy

Toss the router and get a new one. I have the exact same model and version number as you as well as firmware and it is acting like garbage. I talked to a case manager and he said that my issues were probably being caused by a memory leak which I believe is a manufacturing defect because there is no way that the causes he described could've happened to it while I owned it. Unfortunately they wouldn't except it since it is past its warranty. I also used to have issues with devices losing an internet connection so I am looking into a new router.
I suppose there could be other things causing your problem, but consider buying a new one as one of your options.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to AFOOFA

to AFOOFA
As has been said, that router (and the entire WRT line) is complete crap and is well known to do what you're describing.
quarque
join:2011-01-15
Seattle, WA

1 edit

quarque to AFOOFA

to AFOOFA
I've had to replace my router once already. It worked fine for about 15 months and then started losing connections on both ends regularly. I ended up buying the exact same model because it was still one of the highest rated ones for the price. Apparently the hardware is being pushed too hard in these designs and does fail sometimes. BTW, it's a LinkSys WRT54GL. I did not need -n speed for my network due to the age of all the devices. 2nd unit going strong after 2.5 years. If nothing works, replace it.

AFOOFA
@comcast.net

AFOOFA to Moffetts

Anon

to Moffetts
What brand and model(s) of wireless router do you recommend?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Before replacing it, set static IPs for each device. See if that works.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to AFOOFA

to AFOOFA
I like the Netgear WNDR 3700 and, coincidentally, so far I also like the Linksys E2000, which is the WRT-310's replacement.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to AFOOFA

Premium Member

to AFOOFA
Since Linksys went with the new pancake looking N routers they are mostly crap to say the least.
The 310N seems to be worse than the others.
I have changed out a half dozen of those for the same problem you are having.
Pickup a Netgear WNR3500L wireless router and you won't see that problem again.
The WNR3700 is also good. That is a duel band router, but is a little pricey if you wouldn't need the duel band.

AFOOFA
@comcast.net

AFOOFA

Anon

How do I know if I'd benefit from a true dual band router? The wireless adaptors on my laptops are 802.11n compatible so does that mean they'll use the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands?
tonix
join:2008-08-10
West Palm Beach, FL

tonix to Wayne99021

to Wayne99021
why don't u put ddwrt on the router and see if that helps. »www.dd-wrt.com/site/supp ··· database

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

1 edit

PGHammer to Wayne99021

to Wayne99021
The *flatter* routers (especially the first run of them) have issues with overheating (components packed too closely together) and inadequate ventilation. This has since been rectified, largely by component miniaturization (die-shrinkage) freeing up room inside the new flat cases (which have not changed in size, except the new E4200, which has a physically-larger case than the other E-series routers). The earlier routers (including the WRT54G-series in the older "Viking Purple") sat higher up (or, in the case of the SRX subseries, actually went with a vertical arrangement). (I had a WRT310N; it was actually the first N router and first gigabit router I ever owned. I hung first DD-WRT, then later X-WRT on it - IPv6 tunnel support was why the third-party firmware choice. However, the router portion suddenly failed due to overheating and with no warning. It still lights up, and actually is still usable as a gigabit switch; I can't use it as a router, however. The overheating issue is, in fact, my only complaint *with* the flat Linksys routers, except the original WRT120N and 160N - my issue with this pair isn't overheating, but the lack of gigabit Ethernet. Rather troubling, especially when the WRT310N was either the same price or less and matched it otherwise feature for feature.)

The Netgear WNR and WNDR series (WNR2000, 3500/3500v2/3500L, and WNDR3300/3700) all have the vertical arrangement. However, except for the WNDR models, WNR3500v2 and 3500L, none support third-party firmware due to chipset incompatibilities. In other words, until very recently, if you didn't want to go high end, your choice was Linksys (better support in third-party firmware, but poor ventilation resulted in router failure due to overheating - I had a WRT310N fail for just that reason) or Netgear (better ventilation and reliability, but no support in third-party firmware due to poor chipset choices by Netgear) or "brand X" (Buffalo or other Linksys/Cisco clone).