uniqs
share rss forum feed

ArgyleDSL
Cute and Cuddly
Premium
join:2002-07-04
Flushing, NY

What's better for getting a stuck car out of ice/snow

My car (FWD) was stuck in patch of ice yesterday. Took a while and some help to get it out. I didn't have anything to help with traction (bag of salt or kitty liter). I am now going to get some since more snow is expected this winter. Which one is better?
--
My heart is old, it holds my memories, my body burns a gemlike flame. Somewhere between the soul and soft machine, is where I find myself again

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6

3 edits
Sand and carry a mouse pad or two in your car to use the rough side placed as far under the drive tire as possible.

Just don't do this.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDjmylmXxew

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
reply to ArgyleDSL
Sand or kitty litter. A sand bag from a hardware store is a lot cheaper than a box of kitty litter. The salt will melt the ice but it its cold enough even salt won't do any good. The sand will help with traction. While you're at the hardware store getting the sand bag, pick up a collapsible shovel to keep in your trunk. Also, floor mats can work in a pinch to aid in traction. I've had to do that before. You'll need new floor mats afterwards though.

Best advise though is preventative measures. Drive slow and cautious. And don't drive at all if you don't have to.

ArgyleDSL
Cute and Cuddly
Premium
join:2002-07-04
Flushing, NY
said by thegeek:

Sand or kitty litter. A sand bag from a hardware store is a lot cheaper than a box of kitty litter. The salt will melt the ice but it its cold enough even salt won't do any good. The sand will help with traction. While you're at the hardware store getting the sand bag, pick up a collapsible shovel to keep in your trunk. Also, floor mats can work in a pinch to aid in traction. I've had to do that before. You'll need new floor mats afterwards though.

Best advise though is preventative measures. Drive slow and cautious. And don't drive at all if you don't have to.

Thanks. I had parked the car in a clean spot - but it was on an uphill street. When i tried to pull out, the ice on the main road wouldn't allow my car to go forward. I had to chip at ice with my shovel and had a good Samaritan help by coordinating pushing and positioning the car.
--
My heart is old, it holds my memories, my body burns a gemlike flame. Somewhere between the soul and soft machine, is where I find myself again

MikeTest
Non-Believer

join:2010-10-19
Moribund
reply to ArgyleDSL
A bag of salt in the trunk? No, what if that spills? Rust fast!

Just get a set of Traction Mats. Cheap, reusable, compact, works great.
Expand your moderator at work

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to ArgyleDSL

Re: What's better for getting a stuck car out of ice/snow

Get a bag of sand and buy an empty 5 gallon plastic bucket (with lid) (most all hardware stores sell them) and put the sand in the bucket.
If you leave the sand in the bag theres a good chance the bag will rip and you'll have sand everywhere and it will be a real pain in the ass to clean up!

PopCulture

join:2011-01-06
Yeah, sand works best. If you can't get that, try some kitty litter. Patience is the key. Don't try to rush and put yourself in danger...unless you're holding up traffic. Lol.