uniqs
share rss forum feed

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

Always something... toilet leaking when showering

I have a 2.5 story house, with basement also. On my second floor, I have my regular bathroom. In the basement, I have just a toilet in that bathroom.

When I shower in the second floor, water comes out from the base of the toilet in the basement. Looks like an older toilet.

This problem is intermittent. One month it will be fine, then it will do this for a week, then it will be fine again for another month or two and repeat the cycle.

Could it just need a new wax ring or is this a bigger problem?

I originally thought this was my water heater leaking or about to die, so last night I put a bucket under the pressure relief. I took a 2 minute shower and ran down right away. Saw the water coming from the base of the toilet. Noticed the same thing today when doing dishes. Toilet flushes fine. The leak seems to correspond with how much water I used. Long shower? Lots of water. Quick shower like last night? Less water. Dishes? Less water.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

A new wax ring may help but your problem is probably a lot bigger. It sounds like you have some kind of restriction (roots or something else) in your main sewer line. It will continue to get worse until you get someone to clean it out.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to fartness

You need to figure out why its backing up, don't just seal the water in.

rcbrcb
Premium
join:2007-02-21
reply to fartness

My advice woud be to hire someone to "Scope" drains all the way out to the street. Since it is the toilet in the basement where this happens my guess would be you have something funky going on with your drains like roots in your line between the street and house, broken clay pipe or a low spot in the line......

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness

I have a licensed plumber coming over tomorrow.

join:2011-01-07
reply to fartness

If the water is coming from where the toilet sits on the floor you need to replace the wax ring.

Why you only see this sometimes is you may have a partial blockage in the main line.

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

said by 97779361:

If the water is coming from where the toilet sits on the floor you need to replace the wax ring.

Why you only see this sometimes is you may have a partial blockage in the main line.

Or a restriction at the vent!
--
My grandkids ARE cuter than yours!

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside
reply to fartness

Rough cost of anything mentioned above?

builderbob

@cox.net

and stand back

waste water may be backing up in sanitary line to a point where it's leaking out from commode base (lowest point). could be a slow running outside line which is loading up with long shower? there should be cleanout where sanitary line goes outside. carefully open cap. if you get a flood, outside line may be your problem.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to fartness

Re: Always something... toilet leaking when showering

said by fartness:

Rough cost of anything mentioned above?

A lot depends on what they find. If it's plugged with junk and it just needs to be snaked out you're talking less than $500. On the other hand it could require excavation and replace them of the pipe which could easily be several thousand dollars or more!

goldfinger

join:2000-12-24

I had a similar issue with a shower leaking into the basement from around the toilet. It turned out that the shower pan was leaking into the subfloor and some of the water was finding it's way out around the toilet.

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
reply to fartness

The mainline is clogging would be my guess, roots in the line seems like the most common cause of blockage there.

join:2011-01-07
reply to fartness

Without seeing whats what, the can can range from a few bucks for a new wax ring to thousands for a new sewage line.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fartness

A good plumber will use a camera to take a look down the pipe to see what's wrong.

If the plumber has a boat payment to make, they'll show you that the line is all restricted by years and years of gunk and needs to be jetted.

After the line is jetted, you can see if there is any damage to the pipes or joints and go from there.

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL
reply to fartness

I had a broken clay tile in my 1st home that backed up everytime from a huge tree root. Had to replace the tile since it was so bad. Instead of doing just the 6' piece I had them do all 18' to the sidewalk. City covers the easement. I had alot of established maples in my front lawn so I did not want the problem to arise again and I partially blame myself for not flushing the rootkill down the toilets every 6 months. It costed me $3600 to have this done. Ouch.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to fartness

Years ago we had what we thought was roots in sewer...

It ended up being broken tile in two locations....One under flood control shutoff base...(already 16 feet below ground...)
Other 35 feet away, under street (broke before it got to Main Sewer....)
If you have the latter, municipalities may force you to purchase a bond if you have to have someone dig up "Their" street.

Total cost then $6500.00 (10 years ago)
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

3 edits
reply to fartness

Still haven't gotten a plumber to look at it. Couldn't get a hold of the person I was originally going to use. I see the toilet in the basement is backed up (but not overflowed... yet). Looks like toilet paper and other nasty still in it. I've never even used that toilet.

Looks like I need to prioritize this now... any other opinions based on the toilet having stuff in it but never have been used?

edit: there is also a lot of sand (sediment) in the water anytime I mop the floor. It's been like this for a few months since the problem started.

edit2: I figure I will also mention this but I am not 100% sure x caused y. We had a really big rain storm over the summer. Everyone with gutters that work (mine included), still flooded and overflowed because there was so much rain, so fast. I also had a lot of water in the basement. Now, I do not know if the rain storm caused it or if my simple water usage (shower, washing, etc) caused it. I am guessing either way, the water came from the toilet. I originally thought it was either the foundation is leaking or the water heater is leaking, but that is not the case. How can this be prevented in the future?

edit3: In the basement, there is also a circle with a cap (less than a foot tall) that is near the toilet pipe coming from the upstairs. It makes a fizzing noise when I let the bath water drain, and then will leak a small puddle of fizz.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to fartness

The power of the internet isn't going to clear that drain. Call a plumber.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to fartness

You need a plumber. I agree with the others that you need to have them scope the line to see what's in there, or if it's broken.

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to fartness

All there is to say is that your main drain line is nearly 100% blocked at some point beyond that toilet in the basement. The "circle with a cap" sounds like a flushout. That would unscrew to allow a snake/camera into the line. You really wanna try and wait till most of the water has managed to filter through before opening that though, else all your crap will come gushing out at you.

Whether the drainline is broken or has root infiltration, it's not gonna cure itself, you'll have to get it snaked at minimum, and if it's broken rather than just clogged, put a lot of money into getting it dug up and repaired.

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
Look Outside

1 edit
reply to fartness

Got it snaked. Saw some tree roots in there. Also got a new wax ring on the basement toilet. New problem. The stink pipe which is a couple feet away from the basement toilet now leaks. It doesn't leak like the toilet was leaking, but it leaks a little. In terms of leaking severity, the (now former) toilet leak was a 9 and the new leak is a 3. Ideas?

The stink pipe (I think that's what it's called) also has the cleanout thing on it that I mentioned in a post above. There is also another cleanout on the other side of the basement. Could something have been damaged which is causing it to leak?

The plumber tried the cleanout connected to the stink pipe first and said it was stopping soon. Then he took the toilet off, went through that. Then he went to the other cleanout and that's where the roots were and did that a few times.

Tyreman

join:2002-10-08
Canada

If the stink pipe is cast iron? get the ci snappers(cutters that go around ci pipe or carefully sawzall) and cut out the bad ci and replace with plastic and mechanical joint clamps
--
Southern Ontario,Canada

join:2011-02-13
nowhere
reply to fartness

What do you mean the stink pipe "leaks" ?

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to fartness

said by fartness:

there is also a circle with a cap (less than a foot tall) that is near the toilet pipe coming from the upstairs...The stink pipe (I think that's what it's called) also has the cleanout thingy on it that I mentioned

Hey fartness, how about posting some photos? Your descriptions are getting hard to follow.

pro7070
BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Premium
join:2002-06-28
Inman, SC
kudos:1

said by whizkid3:

said by fartness:

there is also a circle with a cap (less than a foot tall) that is near the toilet pipe coming from the upstairs...The stink pipe (I think that's what it's called) also has the cleanout thingy on it that I mentioned

Hey fartness, how about posting some photos? Your descriptions are getting hard to follow.

Agreed. Is it leaking from the cleanout plug, a joint in the fitting, or a crack in the pipe.?

Sounds like it's still clogged somewhat just coming out in a different place.

join:2011-02-13
nowhere
reply to fartness

If it leaks anywhere before the drain, the line is not cleared yet, the vent may be clogged too.
You can be able to leave the cap off the clean-out and NOTHING but gases should come out.
You need to call that plumber back and have them finish the job.