robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to jwes

Mod

to jwes

Re: ISDN Bridging

I don't understand what you are wanting. Your ISDN modem/router should be providing this function (ISDN to IP). Are you currently using your ISDN to connect to the Internet? Or is your ISDN used to connect directly to another medical location?

jwes
@sbcglobal.net

jwes

Anon

We have teleconferencing equipment that connects only by ISDN and has no connection to our local network or the internet. To connect to IP equipment, we place an ISDN call to the bridging service. We need somehow to replace this bridging service.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Can you post some info on your teleconferencing equipment? Make, model, Internet link?

jwes
@sbcglobal.net

jwes

Anon

Our equipment is pure ISDN. There are 3 cables that plug into the ISDN wall socket. More details will have to wait until Monday. The internet link is made by placing an ISDN call to our ISP, which is what we need to replace, hopefully by some piece of equipment which will connect to the ISDN cables from our equipment and transform the output to TCP/IP over ethernet which we could then use over our local internet connection.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

What you are wanting is to replace the Telco switch with one you own -- in other words use a piece of ISDN equipment without an ISDN line. There are SDSL modems which do this but I have never of anything similar for ISDN.

jwes
@sbcglobal.net

jwes

Anon

A possible solution would be to get a second ISDN line and attach the appropriate equipment to it and our network (would that be an ISDN router ?) and call it from our teleconferencing. This seems ugly, but should work and might be cheaper than other solutions.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

That would work. One thing you will need to consider is to make sure that it would be compliant with HIPPA. Without knowing more about what your provider is currently doing I want to throw that caution into the discussion.
robbin

robbin to jwes

Mod

to jwes
said by jwes :

Our equipment is pure ISDN. There are 3 cables that plug into the ISDN wall socket.

I was thinking about what you said here and from what I remember, these ISDN teleconference units use 3 ISDN lines -- hence the three cables.

Your best solution may be to discard the ISDN based system and go to an IP based videoconferencing system. What kind of expenses are you currently incurring with the ISDN lines and how much are they wanting for the ISDN bridge service?