uniqs

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

2 edits

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

tinypic.com will not load because of Jumbo Packets!

Click for full size
I hope this is the correct forum to post this but if not then please move it to the correct one

Let me try and explain this as best as I can.

For the last few weeks on both of my desktop computers I have not been able to load tinypic.com web site at all. Any browser I tried just could not load it. It was trying to load but never does. Also in forums if someone posted a picture hosted from tinypic.com those pictures would not load. So this was driving me nuts because I just could not for the life of me figure out what was causing tinypic.com not to load. I mean every other web site that I would goto loaded up with out issue. Only tinypic.com would not load.

So some of the things I did to try and figure out what was causing the problem was first I disabled some thing like Avast,Admuncher and my firewall. And this did not help at all. So then I booted into safe mode and I still could not load up tinypic.com . So now I was thinking well it has to be a hardware driver issue maybe. So just for the heck of it something was telling me that maybe my Network card is the cause. So I went to device manager and uninstalled it and then reinstalled it again. And right after it reinstalled itself I once again tried loading tinypic.com and to my surprise it loaded right up! So then I just went back into my Network card settings to just re enable "Jumbo Packet" which I have been using. And wouldn't you know it tinypic.com stopped loading again. So then just to make sure I disabled "Jumbo Packet" again and sure enough tinypic.com loads again without issue.

So I finally figure out that when "Jumbo Packet" is enabled in my Network card it causes tinypic.com not to load at all. Weather I use "9014Bytes" or "4088Bytes" tinypic.com will not load. But as soon as I disable "Jumbo Packet" tinypic.com load right up.

So does anyone know why would enabling "Jumbo Packet" cause tyinypic.com too never load?

And also should I even be really using "Jumbo Packet" on my 2 computers?

Both my computers are using a "Intel EXPI9301CT Network Adapter" which is a Gigabit card. Also on my home network are 2 Playstation 3's, Grace Digital radio, Netgear WNDR 3700 Router and a D-Link DGS-2208 8-Port 10/100/1000 Desktop Switch Also 2
Netgear Powerline Adapters 10/100.

Also both computers are running Windows 7 64 Bit

Now the only reason I ever enabled "Jumbo Packet" on both of my computers was because I thought it would give me faster transfer speed between both computers. However as I understand it all devices on the network have to be able to do "Jumbo Packet" correct? And if that's really the case then I may just be wasting my time with "Jumbo Packet" anyway because I am not even sure that the Playstation 3 or my internet radio or router and desktop switch has it.

So am I better off just disabling "Jumbo Packet" anyway? Because one it keeps tinypic.com from loading and two because "Jumbo Packet" is a waste anyway for my network setup?

I did a transfer test with "Jumbo Packet" on and then off and to be honest the speed is almost the same.
gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Is there anyone here with the Intel EXPI9301CT Network Adapter that has "Jumbo Packet" enabled tell me if you can load tinypic.com?

I wonder if its a bug in the driver.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

jumbo frames shouldn't actually be used at all except between gigabit adapters, so it shouldn't matter. It won't make any difference at all on your internet speeds, since the max MTU is going to be 1500 once you hit your broadband modem (cable | dsl)

Just turn it off.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ju ··· bo_frame
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

Bink to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
If you don’t know what you are doing, don’t enable Jumbo Packets. There is a very good chance a lot of equipment will have issue with this and you are unlikely to see any performance improvement except under very specific circumstances.
bardos
join:2002-09-05
Baltimore, MD

bardos to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
I had the same exact issue and finding your post solved it for me after much hassle. Using a D-link DGE-530-T gigabyte card. Have 3 options for jumbo packet: 1514, 4088 or 9014 bytes. Default was the low setting. Like a smart guy I changed it to high setting and no tinypic.com. Now back to low setting and I'm god to go. Thanks to you.
srr2
join:2001-12-20
Pipersville, PA

srr2 to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
On a small network like yours, jumbo packets will do absolutely nothing for your transfer speeds. They will be limited more by the NICs, the ability of the computer to get data into and out of the NIC (a potential problem with PCI connected NICS), and disk speeds. You already have one of the best NICs you can buy in those two computers, so you should see 100MByte/sec speeds between them with that card.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to bardos

Premium Member

to bardos
said by bardos:

I had the same exact issue and finding your post solved it for me after much hassle. Using a D-link DGE-530-T gigabyte card. Have 3 options for jumbo packet: 1514, 4088 or 9014 bytes. Default was the low setting. Like a smart guy I changed it to high setting and no tinypic.com. Now back to low setting and I'm god to go. Thanks to you.

Glad I could help!
gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm to srr2

Premium Member

to srr2
said by srr2:

On a small network like yours, jumbo packets will do absolutely nothing for your transfer speeds. They will be limited more by the NICs, the ability of the computer to get data into and out of the NIC (a potential problem with PCI connected NICS), and disk speeds. You already have one of the best NICs you can buy in those two computers, so you should see 100MByte/sec speeds between them with that card.

Yes even with disabling "Jumbo Packet" I still get very good transfer speed between computers

So disabling it was a very good idea.